Having trouble introducing a female

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEEVANCLEEF

Hiya all....I'm having trouble introducing a new female beardie to my male and wonder if anybody can help....she is slightly smaller than the male but the male is constantly attacking her and head bobbing..I keep having to pull him off her and they have been together for two days now...I don't know if to keep on pulling him off her or just to let them get on with it...any suggestions will greatly help ....thanks. Ps ...she is waving ever time she moves... Thank you

SmaugTheBD

Hatchling Member
Wait..are you looking to breed them?

If not, I wouldn't house 2 Beardies together, they are solitary lizards and are better off without any company.

LEEVANCLEEF

Original Poster
I was planning to breed at some point....I used to have a male and female together so thought it would of been ok....maybe I have done the wrong thing....do you think he might be wanting to mate with her ? And do you think they might calm down after a few days?...

..........thanks for your reply.....

SamusTheDragon

Sub-Adult Member
LEEVANCLEEF":132ba460 said:
I was planning to breed at some point....I used to have a male and female together so thought it would of been ok....maybe I have done the wrong thing....do you think he might be wanting to mate with her ? And do you think they might calm down after a few days?...

..........thanks for your reply.....
Don't keep them in the same tank.

midmichicer

Gray-bearded Member
When they mate, the male bites on to the female. He is probably trying to do this. Pull them apart if you don't want babies.

LEEVANCLEEF

Original Poster
Ahh so maybe he is trying to mate with her midmichicer...the male is about 7 and half month and she is 6 and half month.....is she too young to mate?.....do you think I should just let them to get on with it..?.....thanks for all your replys....

MissT

BD.org Addict
She is MUCH too young to mate - recommended breeding age is 18 months and there is a minimum length and weight requirement for her to get through it without too many ill effects (i cant remember it off-hand). I dealt with a gravid 9 month old and it was awful watching her go through the laying of her eggs :(

You should separate them and keep them separated, only putting them together for the actual act of breeding. This way, she wont be overbred or continually stressed and dominated by the male :D

LEEVANCLEEF

Original Poster
Omg....I used to have beardies a few years ago and the shop owner said you could put male and female in together and two females but not two males, so I bought a male and female off him they got on good together ...then I sold them two because my wife was pregnant...I got the female I have now off a woman who rescues beardies and she said they should be ok together....so basically she has lied to me..?....hope this makes sense...he isn't attacking her as much today..and I don't have another viv so i can't separate them .........thanks for reply

Fievre

It might not have been an intentional lie, she may just not really know. Was it a legit breeder or just someone who houses her dragons together and continuously has babies?

You definitely will want to invest in another viv for your female or you'll have a mess on your hands :/

herpgirl2510

Sub-Adult Member
I would rehome one of them if you cannot house them seperately. Your female is going to end up suffering because of this it is not fair. I am not trying to be rude but if someone cannot provide a second enclosure which to me is the cheapest part of owning a dragon how can you care for two throughout there lives? This is a good example of doing research before getting a pet.

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
Another thing to consider, in the long run, separate vivs are cheaper. A serious injury can cost more to treat than a basic no frills viv. Also, any creatures living close to each other will get each other sick. Just like with your own family or perhaps your job, one person gets sick, soon enough everyone is sick. If one gets parasites, then you have to pay for both to go to the vet, and probably treat both. That can very easily have a triple digit price tag. When they're separate it's simple to prevent cross contamination. Just keep stuff separate and wash your hands in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom