Having 2 boys

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofcourseilikepasta

Hatchling Member
Hey all!

So we took Gary to Petco for Reptile Rally because people like to check him out. But then we saw a beautiful little leatherback baby for sale and couldn't say no. So now we have Roger! I'm about 80% sure Roger is a boy. And of course Gary is also a boy.

My question is, what should we expect from this in the future? Right now, they don't seem to care much about eachother. Little Roger must only be about a month old, and Gary is nearing 1 year old.

They are of course being kept in completely different tanks, and on other sides of the room where they can't see eachother because I don't want to stress Roger out as he's already spooked.

Is it going to be problematic having them both around eachother as adults? Or is there a chance they will be perfectly fine with eachother even though they're both males? I really am not sure what to expect.

(*edit* By "around eachother" I mean just living in the same household in general, we would never ever ever keep them in the same tank or let harm come to either of them. I mean to ask if they will just be constantly blackbearding and head bobbing at all times just at the distant sight of eachother, because that doesn't seem like a very happy way to live)

84170-8142083897.jpg
Little Roger

84170-1385522266.jpg
Big Gary

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Will be a lot of headnodding and bbing as the new hatchling grows up.

Likely the bigger older dragon will always be the boss dragon. You'll likely see some armwaving from the little one in response to the elder dragon's body language.

NEVER EVER LET THE PAIR BE TOGETHER , male bearded dragons are aggressively territorial, it will end up in an attack and they are capable of killing each other as adults.

ofcourseilikepasta

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yes of course I totally know! Haha trust me we would never put them together. It would be cool if Roger turned out to be a girl, he's so young it's a little hard to tell. We just couldn't resist getting him, I mean a leatherback at Petco? I had to have him lol.

Thanks though, I had a feeling that's the way it will be when Roger starts growing up. Strangely though, Gary has never shown aggression to any other smaller beardies that we've brought him near (protected behind glass). He seems pretty nonchalant about everything, he's such a lazy little butt lol. But I guess we'll just have to see as they grow up if we'll end up having to move Roger to a completely different room altogether.

Thanks!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
ofcourseilikepasta":3ds8trlo said:
Yes of course I totally know! Haha trust me we would never put them together. It would be cool if Roger turned out to be a girl, he's so young it's a little hard to tell. We just couldn't resist getting him, I mean a leatherback at Petco? I had to have him lol.

Thanks though, I had a feeling that's the way it will be when Roger starts growing up. Strangely though, Gary has never shown aggression to any other smaller beardies that we've brought him near (protected behind glass). He seems pretty nonchalant about everything, he's such a lazy little butt lol. But I guess we'll just have to see as they grow up if we'll end up having to move Roger to a completely different room altogether.

Thanks!

I thought Rex was a boy for a long time until Puff told us Rex was a she. Beardie males KNOW.

We never let 2 beardies out together. BUT we do let Rex go freerange inside with one of the big BTS on a regular basis, they get on very well but since they are different species , and both BTS are about the same size as Rex.

Rex was very miffed when we brought Peppa and Toothless home. Showed her displeasure by BBing and headnodding at them for the first month or so, now she totally ignores them, though our little boy Toothless is fascinated by Rex while Peppa is not the least bit interested in Rex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom