hatchlings will not eat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope I posted this in the right forum category....
My eggs hatched for the first time. I got 13 babies.
It is 4th day I had them and they will not eat anything.
I have them in a 10 gallon tank. I got uvb and heat lamp. Bowl with fresh veggies and I spray them 3 times a day.
I had a 40w bulb and I increased it to 100w as owner of the pet store told me that is why they dont eat.
It didnt help though. They are very active but still dont eat.
Any help? :(

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
4 days isnt a big deal for hatchlings not eating. They are still living on the yolk they absorbed. When I have hatchlings I add a couple crickets per beardie till they appitites kick in.

radekkacz07

Original Poster
They can come as close to the bulb as they need as I have a climbing branch inside the 10 gallon enclosure. I gave them small crickets. That was the smallest size in the pet store. I threw some in yesterday and I think today in the morning there is less crickets. I have not noticed any beardie eating yet though. Tomorrow will be a week for most of them. I offer them mustard greens and spray them too. I am praying that they will survive.

kitkat101

Juvie Member
Gosh, I hope they start to eat, I bet a lot of bd addicts can give you some good advice!
I would love to see photos of the new hatchlings. :D

radekkacz07

Original Poster
Here is a couple of shots. Yesterday I seen one lizard eat a crickets. That was my first sight of them eating. :)
IMG_0233.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

kitkat101

Juvie Member
Oh my gosh! They are such cuties :love5: Are you planning on selling?
I noticed that a few people said that brand new babies don't have an appetite for a few days, I am sure they will be okay. :)

Puff2011

Did you buy the super tiny pin-head crickets? Also, don't leave crickets in with babies all night or they will bite the little cuties. My two babies started eating pretty well a few days after hatching. We also chopped the greens until they were minced. I'm sure they will eat when they are hungry. They are soooo cute :lol:

radekkacz07

Original Poster
Thank You for positive comments.
I have to sell them due to lack of space :). I have several people already set up that will take several of them. I did not do this for profit however. I wanted to gain additional experience in my life.
I will chop up or mince the greens for tomorrow. I am sure they will eat if the food is provided. They drink water at least. :D

OgleRpets

Sub-Adult Member
We had kept our babies on paper towels and like Puff2011 said, we also minced the greens. My babies loved collard and turnip greens the best. I liked to sprinkle the minced greens around the cage a little so that when they were randomly licking they sometimes got greens too. :D

kitkat101

Juvie Member
radekkacz07":38l7228y said:
Thank You for positive comments.
I have to sell them due to lack of space :). I have several people already set up that will take several of them. I did not do this for profit however. I wanted to gain additional experience in my life.
I will chop up or mince the greens for tomorrow. I am sure they will eat if the food is provided. They drink water at least. :D

Oh that's so awesome! I am interested in one beardie baby that a lady on here is selling, but I want to get a few different options. Would you be willing to sell to me?

GeckoGarden

Sub-Adult Member
You should chop up the collards a bit more.. Not even my adults would take bits that big. My first hatchling ate only a day after hatching, but he didn't have to much yolk left. The others are with in 3-4 days : ) But I think they take after their mom.. Shes a bottomless pit

Also a ten gallon is really hard to give them the proper temps.. Id recommend getting them a bigger cage.

radekkacz07

Original Poster
Thank You for help. Yes I do have a bigger tank waiting for them. It is custom around 30g. As for greens, I dont even rip apart the leaves for my adults. They bite the pieces of themselves and have always done that. :) I guess it depends on the dragon. They seem to be doing fine so far.

As for selling the babies. I would prefer to avoid shipping in mail. I just feel so bad for the dragons mailed out. :) but if you really wanted too, I guess we could arrange something.

kitkat101

Juvie Member
As for selling the babies. I would prefer to avoid shipping in mail. I just feel so bad for the dragons mailed out. :) but if you really wanted too, I guess we could arrange something.[/quote]

Oh I totally understand with the whole shipping thing...I am a bit wary of it myself. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom