Hasn't pooped in 2 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I'm getting worried about my bearded dragon, Zeus. He hasn't pooped in a little over 2 weeks, but I'm not sure if it's impaction. He moves around fine, still eats (sometimes less, sometimes more) but overall seems healthy. His basking area has been around 110F, while the warm side of his cage around 85F. I read online that this is too high, and i noticed he wasn't sitting in the basking area, so I lowered it down to 95F, yet he seems still reluctant to bask. I used a digital thermometer, one with a probe to find the right temperature.

I feed him 5 - 7 super worms every other day, greens and pellets provided every day. He's been a little dehydrated, but I've been giving him baths every other day for 10 - 20 minutes each (depending on his mood) with pedialyte and water by mouth. Also have given him a little olive oil, and raw pumpkin. He went 3 weeks before pooping a while back before releasing a massive one, so I'm worried that I'm doing something wrong with his habitat. Can anyone help me please?

Edit: Forgot to mention Zeus is a little over a year.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
What I've found that works is canned 100% punpkin, without the spices or unsweetened applesauce with a few drops of veggie oil, fed by oral syringe. Also bump your basking spot to 100F. Also bathe him daily in water a bit warmer than usual & sroke his underside downwards in the bath. If that doesn't work after about 3 days, it's time for a vet visit, I had the same problem with one of my dragons & the vet gave him an enema & he pooped the next day. Sometimes it'd dehydration that causes the urate to harden up & that impacts the digestive system. Baby food prunes can help, too.

So see if any of this helps.

DukedeYoung

Original Poster
Thank you very much! Sorry for the very late response. Zeus pooped a few days ago in the bath and seems much happier! But now, he's refusing superworms and his greens. He hasn't wanted to eat for the past few days, so I haven't been able to give him his calcium dust like normal which has me concerned. I gave him some squash baby food and he lapped it up a bit, but started refusing after a minute or so of continuous licking. Otherwise he's pretty much the same, just likes to sit around and when I take him out he explores healthily. Do you have any advice on getting him to eat?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Winter is always a difficult time to get dragons to eat. I have 5, 3 are brumating and 2 are awake but I have to actually force feed them to get them to eat anything. By that I mean I slide a leaf or piece of squash under their side lip & move it to towards their mouth to get them to open their mouth & pop it in. That's all I've been able to do & sometimes even that doesn't work. As long as he's under his lights and isn't losing weight you don't have to worry, it's a sluggish time of year for all dragons, no matter how old they are.

DukedeYoung

Original Poster
Wow! Sounds like your dragons are just as stubborn as mine, haha. Awesome, thanks for the info and the reply. I really appreciate it. =) How could I tell he's lost weight, or is underweight? And is it okay to feed him baby food while on the side trying to give him his greens? And is his calcium levels going to be fine?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
If he wants to eat the babyfood, put some in a dish and add calcium to it. Then try feeding the greens on the side, putting calcium on there, too, just a bit. Hopefully that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
617781l
Top Bottom