Has bubble wrap boils on side of face

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happy3535

Original Poster
Thanks for all of your advice. I ended up taking him to the vet this morning because he was having trouble eating out of the side of his mouth. She said it was an infection so she gave me some antibiotics and pain meds in a needle form for him. She showed me how to give it to him in his legs but he's legs are starting to pill. I got him a new enclosure attached is a picture. To the people who told me not to use sand the vet said it was okay because my friend and I were going to change it. The light has both a uv in it and a heating light. I found out the thing on his stomach was from a previous owner that put a heat rock in his tank and he got burned but it's healing up nicely. I noticed he never uses his bathing dish . Any advice?

Happy3535

Original Poster
94769-932593360.jpg
it's a 40 gallon breeder tank
94769-1044991487.jpg
here he is he seems to be happy but skin is peeling on location of shots

Happy3535

Original Poster
The exotic vet said sand wasn't good so switching it out for carpet. Also found out that what he has on face is a cyst and they sometimes have to go in and drain it but hoping the antibiotic works.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The set up looks much better, good job on making changes so quickly. :) Do you have a uvb bulb there ? You can take him out in the sun for 45 minutes a day [ sit in the grass ] if it's warm .

I'm not sure that's an infection, I'm concerned that the vet is having shots given that can be pretty uncomfortable + even painful. Be very careful + watch that none of the injection sites develop a sore. What type of antibiotic is it and how long will he be on them ?

Happy3535

Original Poster
One is a pain killer and the other is antibiotic.
0.05 mls ceftazidime 1 gm every 72 hours
Buprenorphine 0.3 mg 1ml one daily

The light is brand all living things for bulb
75 watt neodymium basking bulb
Provides uva light and radiant heat does it also provide a uvb light too? I'm still having heat issues. It won't rise and I'm afraid if I put light on screen it will fry him. The only time it goes up is if I turn the heat on in my apartment and the rest of us can't fry. I refuse to use a heat matt or rock. If I change the wattage of bulb to 150 won't that be too much? The reaction he is having from meds is she put in back leg when it was supposed to go in front so he's leg is pelling.

The light fixture is zoo med and it's hanging on the thing in picture

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Are you using a stick on type of thermometer, or a digital probe or laser temp gun?
Try getting a brighter light such as a halogen, that may help with the temperatures. I would
get a 90 or 100 watt, max, which should get the basking temps to a range of 95-110 which is
plenty.
The neodymium lights are coated with the rare earth mineral, neodymium, which essentially
misconstrues the brightness levels & filters/blocks the yellow hues to them. It artificially makes
it appear to be brighter than it really is & could possibly affect the temperatures & heating.
Those meds look to be ok, with conservative doses.
I'm happy to hear you removed the loose substrate, it really is much safer & healthier for them
to have a solid particulate for their bedding.
Were you planning on changing the UVB tube soon, also?
I hope the burn heals up well. You can put some raw, unpasteurized honey on it at night & lay
him on a soft towel so the honey wont get on anything in his tank. Be sure that there aren't any
insects in his tank to be attracted to the honey. I hope the cyst growths on his chin area will clear
up. If not, they can successfully drain them then scrape the areas off without too much trouble.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Yes, sand is bad, especially when there is an external, open wound or infection, that should be basic common sense to a vet...UHG...

Did either vet do a skin scraping of the area? I mean, what if it's an infection caused by a fungus, as it does actually look, rather than a bacteria? If that's the case the Antibiotic he's taking will do absolutely nothing except potentially make it worse and upset his system for no reason, and in the meantime the fungus will just continue to spread...Or what if it's caused by a bacteria that Ceftz doesn't treat? I hate guessing game vets, this is exactly the reason we constantly see beardies taking 3 different meds over 3 months for simple infections that should clear in a couple of weeks with the correct diagnosis and treatment...

Now it's a cyst instead of a bacterial infection that the Ceftz will treat? And the exotics vet based this on what?

Happy3535

Original Poster
The same vet works for the pet store that I got him from. I had to find out from her that he gets a cyst and it had to be drained once in awhile. The other vet doesn't know anything about bearded dragons and wanted me to bring him in again but my friend and I decided he's doing better so theres no need to. He was shedding but the shed was the same color as him.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Oh, so this has been a condition he's had prior to you having him, and it was drained before you got him at least once? I see, I'm sorry, I didn't at all understand what you were saying...Yes, that first vet is clueless...I hoped you stopped giving him the Antibiotic then, just like I said, he was taking harsh meds that could stop him from eating and make him lethargic for no reason...This is extremely common and actually has literally killed a lot of otherwise healthy beardies who had a very small, simple to solve issue. Drives me mad...

So he's doing better, that's good...Is that area on his face looking better then? Did he drain it again? Did he happen to mention why he has this cyst, or why it comes back after its drained (that's not typically how a "cyst" works)? Honestly, and I'm not saying this to be smart or condescending towards this new vet who treated him prior, but if he was my beardie I would absolutely get a simple skin scraping test done to the area to actually identify what it is and what's causing it, because #1) it shouldn't keep coming back and need to be drained if it's just a simple cyst, and #2) why put the poor guy through this every so many months if you can actually diagnose the cause and what it actually is and possibly cure it forever? Why make him go through getting the entire side of his face swell up with fluid (which not only looked extremely painful but surely hurt him when even eating) and then have to go through an extremely stressful vet trip and needle aspiration every few months or whatever the time period is between it happening? A skin scraping test costs very little, doesn't cause pain (much less than draining it repetitively for the rest of his life will), and may not only end his trouble but will save you vet trips and money...And it will also end the risk that exists of him getting a horrible infection when this happens, and the risk of the cells eventually turning into something very serious in the future, which it very well could. Or it could grow to be deeper and over a larger area each time it happens...So I'd get it sorted out ASAP to save you both a lot of headache...

Happy3535

Original Poster
The swelling on his face has gone down but he's been sleeping a lot but I just read something on brumation but he's still eating. I posted a pic of what his eye looks like. I'm not sure if it's a reaction to meds or shedding.
94769-4578749454.jpg

Anyone else have vet insurance for bearded? I'm starting to see why person gave him up.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's good to hear that the swelling is going down, can you pot new pics of it ? And those are specks of shed coming off, perfectly normal. :)

From what I've read pet insurance is not all that helpful in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom