hard feces and urate

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogndragonmom

Photo Comp Winner
I had Cheech out yesterday to run around. He is very active. I had to go to work so I put him back in his 4x2x2 Zen Habitat and he was going nuts and running back and forth and in his salad and surfing the side of the enclosure. I got home from work late last nite and checked his enclosure out to clean up the salad mess and found these. It is very hard feces and urate. He just finished the antibiotic for his mouth abcess and has not been eating enough greens, but still eating bugs. His lights are good, temps are good, although he prefers the middle part of his enclosure, not his hot side. so I moved his basking heat to more the middle area. He is active, eats and sleeps normal. He has no parasites as of November at his last physical vet check. I never see him drink water, but thought he was getting enough in his salads, but since he is not eating those as much right now, it appears he is dehydrated. I did manage to get him to drink this morning from a dropper of water with a little pedialye added. Have you ever seen feces and urate this way? I am calling the vet Monday and will work on giving him water by hand this weekend. Any suggestions or other recommendations for my boy?

Attachments

• 20220401_235155.jpg
    20220401_235155.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 118
  • 20220401_235148.jpg
    20220401_235148.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 68

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I had Cheech out yesterday to run around. He is very active. I had to go to work so I put him back in his 4x2x2 Zen Habitat and he was going nuts and running back and forth and in his salad and surfing the side of the enclosure. I got home from work late last nite and checked his enclosure out to clean up the salad mess and found these. It is very hard feces and urate. He just finished the antibiotic for his mouth abcess and has not been eating enough greens, but still eating bugs. His lights are good, temps are good, although he prefers the middle part of his enclosure, not his hot side. so I moved his basking heat to more the middle area. He is active, eats and sleeps normal. He has no parasites as of November at his last physical vet check. I never see him drink water, but thought he was getting enough in his salads, but since he is not eating those as much right now, it appears he is dehydrated. I did manage to get him to drink this morning from a dropper of water with a little pedialye added. Have you ever seen feces and urate this way? I am calling the vet Monday and will work on giving him water by hand this weekend. Any suggestions or other recommendations for my boy?
@AHBD

dogndragonmom

Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
UPDATE: after I left for work about an hour he began running back and forth his enclosure. He pooped again, but my husband said it was normal looking and allll over from his dancing in it

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It does appear he was very dehydrated. So that is normal if they are dehydrated, but definitely
try to increase his oral fluids so he doesn't continue to have harder stools. They can prolapse if
they have too hard of stools/urates.
You could add some apple sauce or canned pumpkin for his diet a couple of times per week, too.

Tracie

dogndragonmom

Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Hello,

It does appear he was very dehydrated. So that is normal if they are dehydrated, but definitely
try to increase his oral fluids so he doesn't continue to have harder stools. They can prolapse if
they have too hard of stools/urates.
You could add some apple sauce or canned pumpkin for his diet a couple of times per week, too.

Tracie
Thank you. I've been giving his water and pedialyte for a couple days now and his stool is back to normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom