Hanging Out at the Top

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello everyone,

I am not sure if it is something to be concerned over, but my beardie is acting strangely, and it has me a little worried.

I guess I should start from the beginning, and try to cover as much as i know as I do not know what might be relevant here.

Last weekend I moved my five month old Dragon from a 20 gallon to a 40 gallon tank, things were going smoothly, and then a couple days ago he discovered the second hammock in his enclosure, which is above the first, next to his Styrofoam background. He has been clinging to it at the top and has sort of been hanging there, every time I move him down, he manages to go right back up there.

I am not sure if he is trying to get out or not, this enclosure has doors on the side, where his old enclosure had a screen on the top, of course this new one does as well, but I usually come in from the sides now. I do not know if that is scaring him, or not.

I also upgraded his lighting because of the bigger enclosure, I am not sure if it is too hot and he is trying to get out, his temps appear normal, 100 by his basking spot, and 85 on the cool side-which is where his hammocks also are, I should mention.

He also appears to gape at me sometimes when I am close to him and his rock. I am not sure what that is about either, as he usually doesn't do that to me.

He is also being a tad lethargic and hasn't been eating much. When we put worms in his bowl he usually goes right for them, the past couple of days he has been disinterested.

Now, the crickets I have been feeding him keep coming out at night from behind the Styrofoam, and during the day, have been hiding behind it.

So I don't know if it is the height and if he likes being up there, if he is too hot, is trying to get to the crickets, if he wants out, or if he is sick. There are unfortunately many factors.

Anyone know what it could be?

My girl Rusty refuses to be off her hammock. I'd like to think it's the height and that he likes it up there.
Your temperatures look good so that doesn't seem to be the problem.

The gaping may be him trying to say that he doesn't wish to be moved from his spot. (Just how I perceive it)

Also for the not eating...
Rusty usually begins going into brumation around this time of year and will begin to eat less and sleep more, whether it be on her hammock or her cave.

I'm sorry if this doesn't help much, as I'm just trying to lend a few thoughts :) . Good luck! and happy keeping.

sue09

Hatchling Member
I would be more worried about the crickets getting to hide at night as they are terrible little biters and may well start biting on your beardie,can you seal the background to prevent them hiding? there should be none in the tank at night. If you are really worried about him staying up there on his hammock could you remove it? Good luck with your beardie Sue :)

-Brumation doesn't usually happen for beardies under a year. Keep an eye on him for another week, since he might just be adjusting to his new surroundings.
-I highly recommend a digital scale. You can keep an eye on his weight since a slight, steady decline can be a sign of something serious and it's hard to see. You can also make sure that his weight stays constant or continues to increase slightly despite slight changes of behaviour.
-My Clifford tends to pick a favourite spot for a couple of weeks that he obsesses about
-You do really need to get those crickets out of there.

xoxo

My girl really likes doing the same thing! They can get a nice high concentration of heat and UVA/UVB, I think that's why they enjoy it. Luna would get herself as high as she could and then just "butter pat" for a few hours before moving into normal basking mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom