Handling questions... Mine aparently hates it

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had my dragon Zap for about 3-4 weeks. I got him when he was around 1 month old. He eats well, likes his home, but is soo scared of me when i try to pick him up. I never really tried to handle him until a few days ago, i thought i was supposed to wait til he was a little older. My tank also opens from the top, so it seems like he thinks im a predator comin from above... Or maybe i waited too long to hold him?... Idk. But he runs, jumps, gapes, anything to stay away. Only twice i got him in my hand and held him for a couple mins in the tank. I dont wanna spook him all the time n stress him out... Should i keep tryin to grab him when he freaks?

NavyxWife

Hatchling Member
Well first, you may be stressing him out because you're trying to grab him. Beardies should never be grabbed when they're young. Hold out your palm and direct your beardie into it.
And it's not that he's trying to stay away from you, he's young & the one thing they really do at that age when being handled, is run. They run, jump, climb... everything. Just make sure he cant get anywhere you wont be able to get him back from & keep him out of wires. You basically have to baby proof your house whenever you decide to own a bearded dragon.
But if you want to be able to hold him when he's older, he needs to be handled so he gets used to it.

ReptiMama2

Hatchling Member
Have you tried just hanging out with you hand in the tank? That way he gets use to your hand, and you being above him and you are not actually moving to pick him up.

MrMattRizzle

Original Poster
Ya, before i try and pick him up i usually just have my hand in there for a couple mins, then i'll try just touching him without coming from a top angle. This is when he puffs out his spikes on his sides a lil more and flattens out. But, you know, im bein gentle, not 'grabbing' at him, but slowly tryin coax my hand under him and thats when he bolts.. tryin to run outta the viv. I really hate when he gets scared. And i know with time he'll be more docile, i just want to make sure im not being too persistant. He is only probly 8-12 weeks too so...

jeserah

Sub-Adult Member
If your beardie is only a month old, you shouldn't worry about it too much. As they grow they typically calm down and become more handleable.

In most baby animals it is in there nature to either run or hide to survive... beardies run :)

Try to hold them when you can if they get stressed put them back or just sit with them while there in there viv. On my rescue he would flinch or jerk or puff up at every time we would come close but its getting better and we can hold him with out to many problems. I think wants an animal realizes that your not going to eat them they will become the little buddy your wanting... its just at there time schedule.

MrMattRizzle

Original Poster
Ive been holdin Zap everyday now... He still tries to get away at first, but as i hold him n rub his neck he chills out. So thanks for the tips. :headbang:

everhood13

Juvie Member
My Reptar is exactly the same way! I guess we just have to keep up the good work and not give up on holding them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom