Handling Juvie Beardie During Brumation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghoul

I was wondering about handling our beardie during brumation, which she is obviously going through. She's irritable and sleeps a lot more under her hide, which she had never done before.

Should we keep handling her? We're trying to get her used to being held, so we hold her about 10-15 minutes a day. She's three months old. Should we leave her on her own until she's done with brumation, or continue her training?

kornel351

Hatchling Member
Try not to handle her during brumation it's a very stressful time for them .Beardies dont like to be handled much when going through brumation as they are basically shutting off their body systems while u are trying to hold them.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Ghoul":h6f82f27 said:
I was wondering about handling our beardie during brumation, which she is obviously going through. She's irritable and sleeps a lot more under her hide, which she had never done before.

Should we keep handling her? We're trying to get her used to being held, so we hold her about 10-15 minutes a day. She's three months old. Should we leave her on her own until she's done with brumation, or continue her training?

<<<< if she's 3 months old she is WAY TOO YOUNG to be allowed to brumate.
She will not have sufficient reserves to survive several weeks , even months without food, and it will greatly reduce her growth and development. The practice is not to allow a beardie to brumate in it's first winter.
You should
Bump up the temperatures in her tank.
Bump up the time the lights are on each day to about 16 hrs per day.
Keep her warm overnight too.
Keep her food coming (lots and lots of live bugs , two maybe three times per day for a 3 month old beardie), and keep on handling her.

If she's lethargic, I'd be looking closely at your tank temperatures, the UVB and UVA sources (are they giving her enough UVA (to be active) and UVB to convert to vitD and more beardie) and are you feeding her enough and often enough. If she's not pooing each day at 3 months old she's being starved IMO.

In fact , brumation is entirely unnecessary for the healthy captive (pet) beardie. None of my beardies have ever brumated (Rex is 4 years old now).

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If she's only 3 mos old, irritable and sleeping a lot more in her hide, it sounds like something in the setup needs to be changed or adjusted. A 3 month old would NOT be brumating as that is way too young.

Please share the setup information with us so we can help you figure this out, tank size, wattage(s) of heat bulb(s), white or colored bulb, brand & type of UVB and what the distance is to your beardie while in the basking spot? What substrate is on the bottom of the tank? Any other info that you think would be helpful.

Also, how often are you dusting feeders with calcium & vitamins, what feeders are you using and how many are you offering twice a day? What about greens/veggies?

Is your beardie pooping at least once a day?

Are there any other beardies in the household or in the same tank that could be stressing this one out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom