Handling A New Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christine1125

Hatchling Member
Ok so I'm sure by now many of you have read my posts about my baby being aggressive. I have had him for a little over a month and I truly feel as though my Lloyd is hopeless. I have tried EVERYTHING that people have suggested (the tshirt in the viv, talking to him, putting my hand in frequently, petting his head, etc) but every single time I try to pick him up, he freaks out. Even if he is used to my hand being there and accepts my petting very calmly, as soon as I try to move my hand under him to gently pick him up I get bearded, mouth gaped, and hissed at, followed by darting around the viv to avoid me. Does anyone have any idea why he hasn't shown any improvement with being picked up or any other ideas I could try? I feel so bad because the little guy just looks terrified. If I actually do pick him up, he'll eventually calm down in my hands but as soon as I put him down, whether it be back in the viv or on my bedroom floor to roam, I get the beard, gape, hiss fit again if I approach him. I'm just getting so frustrated because I really want a beardie that will enjoy me :( I read up on how many of you have sweet babies and I'm so jealous. As a new beardie owner, he's really frustrating me. I love him to death but I need help getting him to trust me.
I also read up on other sites to try picking the beardie up by the tail? I'm assuming this is just another stupid piece of advice from ignorant people because I would think that could possibly break the tail and seriously injure my baby. But I am just double checking for the slim chance it's some peice of miracle advice that I'm overlooking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Oh and his viv is setup with all the right lighting, heating, and temperatures. He eats 40 phoenix worms a day, sometimes touches greens, HATES bathtime, and poops regularly. The only other thing I could think of is maybe he's seeing his reflection and that's making him angry? How would I know if this was the case? And if so, could that be the reason he hates being picked up?
Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advanced for any feedback :)

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
No problem with the long post, I'd be frustrated, too. I had a beardie a few years ago that also was like that, I used to wrap a soft facecloth around her and lay down with her on my chest, after a couple of days of doing that, she was fine with being picked up. I really can't think of anything else, but maybe someone else will. I hope this idea works for you. All I can say is, don't give up on him!

mudskipper

Juvie Member
If he doesn't mind you usually except when you're picking him up, maybe you're too rough? If you're picking him up by grabbing his sides, you could be hurting him. I pick mine up with 2 hands. I use my left fingers to slide underneath from the front and my right hand to move their front legs up to my left hand. When I lift my left hand, they would adjust and crawl up on their own. If not, I would lift their hind legs and put them on my left hand. Definitely don't pick up ANY animals by their tails.

Christine1125

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thanks guys. I hav cuddle time with him almost. every night to try and get him used to me. that's really the only time I can take him out because he's sleepy and doesn't care. during the day it's impossible to get him out :( I'm very gentle when pick him up- I doubt I'm hurting him but I'll try and be gentler just in case. my viv opens from the top so I feel like it's awkward trying to get two hands in there :( I make sure he sees its me and spend the extra time talking to him and petting him before I pick him up so he doesn't think I'm a predator. just curious- do most of you have vivs that open on top?

LaughingBuddha

Hatchling Member
Don't give up hope. It took me months before I was able to pick up my Dragon with out it going nuts.
I used to drop a tea towel over her and she would stay still. Then I'd pick her up in in and have her wrapped so her head is poking out. I did this for about a month. Baby is 6 months old and only recently she has started coming to me and sitting on my shoulder on her own.

It takes some Dragons a lot longer than others, but dont give up hope you both will get there in the end :)

Christine1125

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
well, he finally did it. I finally got bit. I gently put my hand in the viv talking to him and when I felt comfortable enough to pet his head, I lifted one finger to pet his head and he lunged and bit me. I feel like we're moving backwards instead of making any progress :( it didn't hurt but I broke down crying out of sheer frustration. he's doubled in size since I took him.home and I'm terrified of this behavior continuing to get worse when he's even bigger. I'm putting so much love and patience into him and I feel like a failure

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Please don't beat yourself up, there's no reason for it. I'm sorry he bit you, little brat, but you really need to leave him alone for a day & try again, but with a facecloth or soft small towel this time. That's how I had to handle one of mine, pick him up with a towel instead of my hand. That might be the best thing. The only other think I can think of is lowering what his tank is on so it's not so high to get your arm in there. So there are a couple of suggestions. My biggest beardie Rubio, is in a 75 gallon tank & i have it on a low base with shelves so it's much easier to get into it. It's behind the sofa & much for accessible. That might be a good suggestion. I'll wish you the best of luck, but don't lose hope, he will get easier to handle, not harder. I think seeing your hand coming down from on high is scaring him for some reason, so the towel idea might be the best, if you need to cover him first, that's also a good way to get them out of their tanks.

vampy

Juvie Member
Aww you poor thing :(

Do hang on in there, it will get better, I promise. When my baby was very teeny, her and all her clutchmates hated being picked up, then once they were up, they hated being put down. Stupid babies. When I decided which ones we were keeping, I moved them to my bedroom (I spend almost all day in here) so I could constantly watch them and talk to them and so they could see me and get used to seeing the cats around etc. Now I can pretty much manhandle her however I want and she'll tolerate it if not actually like it...she prefer to be picked up then jump off my hand to run around and explore, or be put flat on my chest...she'll only sit still there for a while though before she climbs onto my shoulder, then tries to get on my back and I have to pull her off. She isn't one of those sweet beardies who'll sit with me for hours and watch TV and just hang out with me though, she'll manage about 5 minutes sitting still if i'm lucky, then she's off wanting to explore.

It sounds like you're doing everything right, you'll just have to persevere. Stroking the top of their head isn't the first thing I'd try to do to get them used to touching though...I go for stroking their beard first, that seems to be more easily tolerated as you're not putting a finger right in their face and moving it closer to their eyes and being threatening. After the beard, I'd try stroking the back, then the head, then go on to legs and tail...I don't think they especially like their feet and tail being played with, but they'll tolerate it once they are used to it, and it's useful to be able to do so you can help them shed if needed.

Christine1125

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thanks for the encouragement guys. I'm going to try all of your suggestions with him. hopefully he comes around because I'm feeling. really down about it. I really appreciate everyone's help

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Hopefully some of these ideas work and you'll feel better about your little guy. Keep us informed, k?

Christine1125

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
LaughingBuddha":1wv9h33f said:
Don't give up hope. It took me months before I was able to pick up my Dragon with out it going nuts.
I used to drop a tea towel over her and she would stay still. Then I'd pick her up in in and have her wrapped so her head is poking out. I did this for about a month. Baby is 6 months old and only recently she has started coming to me and sitting on my shoulder on her own.

It takes some Dragons a lot longer than others, but dont give up hope you both will get there in the end :)

I tried the tea towel approach today and he absolutely hated it lol he bearded ran out from under it and became extremely aggressive towards me. is this something he'll get used to or should I try a different approach bc it clearly upset him? I was thinking of getting a soft glove so I don't get bit :/
when I used to finally pick him up, he would calm down in my hands and eventually fall asleep on me.now he's bearding at me as I hold him and jumping out of my hands to get away. once again I feel like we're just moving backwards.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I know you're trying everything but maybe approaching from the front is what's triggering everything. Have you ever tried approaching from the side or rear? Maybe that would be easier, after you've left him alone for a day. I just don't get this behaviour either, I'm scratching my heat trying to find a different approach for you. Hope is eternal, so don't give up. An wearing a glove might also be the answer, at least he couldn't bite through your skin.

Christine1125

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I know, I feel at a loss lol I've tried rear and side lifting. as soon as he feels me touch him he spins around and gapes and beards at my hand. stubborn little guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom