Handicapped beardie *updated pictures*(20 mo later)

Status
Not open for further replies.

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
thats great that he enjoyed the bath :D why would anyone use bark?it just baffles my mind :? he sounds like a very alert and happy baby :D

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
We used the bark for a short time when we didn't know any better. Couldn't believe all the crickets that hide in there.

Hopefully Widget will eat more than 11 crickets tomorrow. I guess he's doing quite well considering all the changes he's gone through. He sure likes human contact already and it's only been 2 days. I know I've suggested that owners with new babies wait at least a few days before you handle them, but now I think differently. It depends on how nervous the new owners are and if the babies seem stressed or not. So, that's what others should go by I guess. Widget seemed to be adjusting fine and I'm certainly not a new beardie owner by any means. :lol:

oldgal

Sub-Adult Member
Awwww how adorable Widget is! He now has a perfect human mommy and daddy to raise him/her. I think even the shop owner knew this. ;)
Awesome widget is doing so well.
I know mine did'nt seems to mind the move to my house either. They ate like a house on fire. lol I had to handle them to give them drinks often and they were just to cute not to pick up. My daughter and grandson told me i did'nt give mine time to get stressed from a move, or fearful of a human. :lol:
Congrads on Widget... Dixie

hyperwolf27

Hatchling Member
Widget is adorable.

Deformed dragons rock. I got one that had a deformed back right foot two weeks ago. I can't beleive that people didn't buy him, but he's a cool guy. he's laid back and ate the next morning with not trouble. And even with a minor disability he can run and catch a cricket within seconds.

I named him Youngee which means Dragon in Korean (Also means courage too)

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/54023370/

lovingthosedragons

Sub-Adult Member
awwwwwww, how adorable!!! It's great that you took the little one in. Can you tell if he's a female or male yet?? Thinking about names yet??

kirby":18929 said:
awww... i had a one eyed fish once...
aww.me 2...lol

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Thanks all. I have to admit that he is adorable. I started calling him "little Widget" so now we either call him that or "Widge." I was worried about him yesterday and last night because he wouldn't eat any crickets and when I picked him up, he wouldn't really respond. I had to lift his head up so I could offer some diluted chicken babyfood. Took a few minutes then he started licking it. Ate quite a bit then went back in his tank to bask and ate 2 crickets. Tonight when I came home he was very perky and ate either 6 or 7 today. He was shedding his tail when I got home so that's probably why he was so tired/droopy yesterday. I found a plastic bathing dish I had bought a while ago but never used. He didn't want any diluted juice or water and kept shaking his head every time a drop went on his neck then would rub his neck and chin all over the shelf liner. :lol: Little bugger. So I put a little warm water in the bathing dish, set it in there and put him in it. He ran through it first so I walked away and when I went back in the room, he was sitting in it with his vent right down in the water just like I wanted him to do. I put the basking light right over the dish and he stayed in it for about 20 min or so. Then he took a poo in it (2nd today) then enjoyed more basking. Here's a few pics. The one of him on the leaves is how he's spending the night. I just attached that vine last night so I guess he likes it.
Picture2657.jpg

Picture2661.jpg

Picture2664.jpg

Picture2704-1.jpg

Photobucket was very slow tonight and I see this last pic didn't download all the way, but at least you can get an idea of how he liked laying there. He has a lot of red coloring showing up. :p
Edit: I reloaded the last pic so now you can see his whole body. 8) 8)

oldgal

Sub-Adult Member
Awwww he so cute and proably thinks hes lots taller now hanging on the suction cup, what a smartie pants. lol
He has his own personal pool too.... Hes got it made :lol:

Sekhautet

BD.org Sicko
I'm late replying, but Widget is really cute. I had a chameleon with only one eye and he was able to hunt just fine. 8)

Denise Bushnell (RIP)

Juvie Member
Retired Moderator
Diane,

I think I would like your husband very much! And you know that if he hadn't done what he did, you would've brought him home anyway! :D

He is sooooo cute, and he looks like he's going to have gorgeous markings when he's older. Now don't spoil him....(like you didn't spoil Judas, Sabrina and Gizmo! tee hee)

I don't think you'll ever be sorry. "Special Needs" pets are always so much more affectionate and trusting than other pets. Its almost as if they know how lucky they are to have someone to love and care for them. My son's "Special Needs" Boxer puppy, Eve, is such a little sweetheart, and always craves human contact and attention, no matter what the circumstances. Even if she's eating or busy playing, if you pick her up she'll snuggle right up to you and want to be loved and fussed over.

No matter how many pets you have, there's always room in your heart for one more! Congratulations on the new addition! Enjoy him, and help him grow up to be a happy, healthy beardie!

Hugs to little "Widget". The name really suits him!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Yes, he's quite the character already. Everytime I walk in the room, he looks at me then looks up at the lid just waiting for me to open it. Of course I won't spoil him as I certainly haven't spoiled the others, lol. I'm not sure if I wish he was a male or a female, although the females in this household are outnumbered.

You're probably right Denise, I probably would have gotten him anyway but I think I would have called Paul on my cell phone before I actually brought him home. He's actually a real softie and he was the one that helped make Gizmo healthy and strong by exercising his legs when he was so tiny.

Widget ate the most today then he did so far. Ate a total of 12 small sized crickets and sat in his bath with his vent in the water for over 1/2 hr. He doesn't even jump when I remove his basking log and put the bathing dish in. He really has adjusted well.

Michele, you're right about that last pic. I didn't notice it before but he does look like he's "under arrest." :lol: Thanks for all the well wishes and comments everyone. It is a challenge having a "special needs" beardie and I'm glad I've had previous yrs of beardie care before we adopted him.

The last pic above is now complete because I reloaded it. You can tell he was stretching his whole body out to be able to lean his leg on the suction cup.

oldgal

Sub-Adult Member
I certainly agree with Denise about special needs animals. Over the years i have had several needs birds, both physically and mentally. They have that extra something about them and they can teach us so much. They are so rewarding to share life with.
One bird had no legs so i had to build soft platforms for it. That was the best dang bird and i was so thankful he could'nt read cause he did'nt know he was handicapped.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Yes, special need animals are wonderful. I had a 3 legged cat yrs ago that was absolutely amazing in the way he ran around & even climbed trees. I also recently had to have a cat that was only 1 1/2 yrs old put to sleep because she had feline leukemia. We helped her have 5 pain-free months and she was more loving than any cat I ever had and just loved life. She taught us some special things.

An update on Widget, he's doing well. Eats about 11 or 12 small crickets a day. Tonight I was monitoring his temps and had him laying on my hand, while stroking his back. Thought I would lay him down on a fuzzy washcloth since he was sleeping anyway, or so I thought. I put the back part of his body on the washcloth and went to cover it up, when he nipped my finger. Boy, was I surprised. He didn't really latch hold, but put his teeth in to just let me know that he was quite comfortable the way he was laying. His little teeth pinched a little.

Some had asked to see his eye that never developed, so I'm posting one. He is quite jumpy when he hears a noise over or near the bad side and whips his head around very quickly as a reflex to protect himself. Anyway, he's doing quite well for only being here for 8 days.
Picture2784.jpg

Picture2780.jpg

oldgal

Sub-Adult Member
I see he is getting you trained well. In other words let sleeping dogs lie or in this case sleeping lil beardies. :lol:
That face shot of Widget is the cutiest. Don't tell him that tho as he may not like that description and nip me next. Id love to just pick him up and smoochie him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom