HANDI-CAPABLE: THE 7 WONDERS OF MY WORLD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
WELCOME TO: BELLA, OLLIE, PYREX, GABBY, LINCOLN, SCARLETT, AND MICA'S STORY.

Hi everyone,
Somehow having 3 threads going at the same time, bogged me down from posting faithfully, I don't know why it would :?: , but I thought I'd consolidate the 3 together to make this one topic. I'm going to post some original info from each thread to update anyone who doesn't know my clan, then I'll have some new pics at the end.

From "HANDI-CAPABLE BELLA, PLUS OLLIE+ PYREX" Thread

~BELLA~
Well, on craig's list someone posted a 2 yr old "handicapped" girl......... aggressive (this may have been d/t improper lighting and food)............. so not a good pet for children, and would be asking for a rehoming fee.
Long story short.......the lister couldn't take care of her........... he was interested in other pets and was moving on, and when I saw a picture of her, I knew she was suppose to be mine. Many people called for her, and he said that if I came down to pick her up, he would not charge me for her. Sooooooooo...........off I went, with much anticipation and knowing it was going to be a long day trip.
When I saw her, she was in a dirty viv, sand substrate, urate smelling drift wood, and she was very small with poop smears on her. She had a household light bulb only......... with a black light for night time......... no food or vitamins on hand.......... with everything in much need of a good cleaning. In the owners defense......... he said he wanted her to go to a good home............. so someone could take care of her. When I saw her.......... I instantly fell in love.
I brought her some butterworms, to see if she would eat them in her enviroment before I scooped her up to take her away d/t the possibility that she'd have relocation stress and not eat. She goobled them up..........I was so happy!
When I picked her up, she was very tense, bearding without darkening, and trying to bite me x2........ but I was persistent, and rubbed the top of her head, so she settled down quickly. So tiny........I asked the owner, are you sure she's 2 yr's old? He said yes, and told me how she lost her feet, etc. Apparently she was a runt, and the other babies attacked her leaving her with her right front foot missing at the ankle, back left missing from the ankle down, back right missing right below the knee down, and half her tail. She has the front left limb completely, but the fingers are crooked, the limbs are very skinny, and mushy/soft, significant of MBD, also her jaw is a little off alignment, another sign of MBD too.
I wrapped her snuggly in a soft towel, and she went home on my friends chest, cozy and sleeping. I brought hand warmers with me so they were within the towel......... she was toasty warm and appeared very content. It was a long day, and the only time she moved, was when she did a poop........ much to my delight........... because of the sand substrate housing. I had brought another towel, just in case that happened.
I have named her "BELLA"...............for she is truely "beautiful".......... she has some orange/red on her face/beard and back, not too much, just enough. Her eyes are the perfect color with the golden color outlining the dark iris, she has a short nose, 9" long, from nose to tail end, and weighs 140 gm. She looks like a baby not a 2 yr. old.
When she woke up in the AM, she had a nice salad then I gave her some phoenix worms......... she's very alert and study's everything, including me. She pooped again, which was wonderful, formed but smelly, so I'll be testing her soon for parasites. Bath time was cute, I held her and took a soft toothbrush and removed the dried poop from her........ I think she thought she died and went to heaven.
I am using what I have........... I have cleaned and baked her things, I couldn't salvage one piece of driftwood, because the urate smell wouldn't come out.
I have a very low hammock for her, a hide, and a low log......... she manages well with walking........ but woobles d/t the MBD and her legs being unevenly amputated.
All I can say is............ she is precious, and I love her........... plus I want to give her the best home that she deserves, especially with her past. Meet Miss Bella Graham. (All my beardies have middle names)

~OLLIE~
He was my first beardie, I picked him out from a tank filled with at least 50 babies, didn't know a thing about beardies or their care. I soon found this site and quickly learned how to set up the viv, etc., and had a stool sample examined only to find out that he had AV. I hand fed him for over 2 years, plus he had pneumonia, so it was 14 days of injections, nebulizer treatments and medicines, but he is now eating on his own, still fussy about the greens at times, but appears stable. Meet Oliver "Ollie" Spike.

~PYREX~
He is a snow morph, and was abandoned at a reptile expo. I saw him on the information table, tiny and under a cool breeze, so I went to the MC and said it was nice they were using a baby beardie as their mascot, but he would freeze to death all day with the air conditioning blowing on him. He wasn't a mascot,............ and someone left him, :?: :?: so I waited all day for someone to claim him, no one did, and low and behold, I was driving home with a new baby. :D Meet Pyrex Ricco.

From "NEW BABIES AND PICS, Meet Gabby, Lincoln, and Scarlett!!" Thread
~LINCOLN AND GABBY~
So.............they have a Reptile expo in Co. 4x a yr. and yesterday was my first introduction to the western expo's. Of course, I was only going to buy some supplies, really............ but couldn't help my self to look at the babies, I should have never gone near the tables. One vendor had some beautiful morphs and I fell in love with a 4 month male, with a tail nip. He comes from a red sandfire/het/hypo/blood line, I held him of course, put him back and spent the day chatting with vendors and buying supplies, but when I went back, much to my amazement, he was still there................he made an offer I couldn't refuse.................but here's the unbelievable part.............I already had a little girl under my shirt (to keep her warm) that I purchased for $10.00. She was under another vendors table and while looking at their beautiful tiger/red babies, the vendor said, I have a baby that's been nipped on her foot/tail, would you like to see her? I should have said "no thank-you, I have to leave", but of course I said yes........... if you've been following Bella's thread, you know I rescue beardies, and I couldn't put her down.......the vendor said, "I want her to go to a good home", and that was it, paid the money and...........off I went to the ladies room, put her under my shirt, and she never moved the rest of the day. The vendor said she was a normal, but when she warmed up, her head became neon yellow, along with her shoulder blades, and when she was a baby, she had a diamond pattern going down her tail, thus, her name.......... So this is Lincoln Mosaic and Miss Gabby Diamond.

~SCARLETT~
She came to my home during part of my (pringle) addiction, one of my few beardies that does not have any infirmities; she's still growing and quick as ever, she keeps me on my toes and is getting her own little personality. Meet Scarlett Emerson.

From "MY NEW (PRINGLE) MICA" thread
~MICA~
Well, as some of you know, I've always wanted a "white" beardie, so I've kept my eyes open for the right one. It's difficult to know what a 6" baby will grow up to be, color-wise, even if the parents are leucistic, etc, so I've been hesitant in getting such a small tyke....................
Well........................., I found a 11 month old light colored male, hypo pastel, that I just loved when I saw him, and knew he'd me mine. To my surprise, he was very skinny and lethagic, but friendly and lovable. I really felt that he came to me as a rescue,........ just for me to nurture and love. Meet the one and only, Mica Jackson. :D

So there's the synopsis of each baby, and here are a few pics for an update.

~Bella~
Christinespictures2078.jpg

Christinespictures2109.jpg

Christinespictures2105.jpg

Christinespictures2073.jpg

~Ollie~
Christinespictures1986.jpg

Christinespictures1947.jpg

Christinespictures2133.jpg

Christinespictures2096.jpg

~Pyrex~
Christinespictures2118.jpg

Christinespictures2076.jpg

Christinespictures2091.jpg

~Lincoln~
Christinespictures1974.jpg

Christinespictures2103.jpg

Christinespictures2002.jpg

Christinespictures2080.jpg

~Gabby~
Christinespictures2114.jpg

Christinespictures2126.jpg

Christinespictures2146.jpg

Christinespictures2147.jpg

~Scarlett~
Christinespictures2007.jpg

Christinespictures2077.jpg

Christinespictures2081.jpg

~Mica~
Christinespictures2100.jpg

Christinespictures2085.jpg

Christinespictures2110.jpg

Christinespictures2084.jpg

So I hope you enjoyed the new pics, sorry for the long intro, but I hope you'll leave a note so you can continue to follow my special family and their updates. That's my one fear about closing my other threads, that I'll lose all my contacts, :( so please check in.

Bugs and hugs to all, :love5:

Rukia1988

Juvie Member
She fought long and hard for you. I recently lost one of mine as well, she just wouldn't eat and the vet gave me all this stuff to give her she had no idea why she stopped eating. She passed away a few days after mothers day. Its so hard to lose our little friends especially the ones close to our heart no matter how long we've had them. I did the same burying her in the garden but I put a little stone with a saying over it to mark where I buried her. You will always have her in your memory and you can always be reminded of her because of your beautiful mini flower garden you created for her.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Oh, Christine... :cry: :cry: :cry: I'm so sorry to hear about all you have endured the past several months while I've been away. I think of you all the time.

Hugs, Snuggles, and Prayers!

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
Oh, Christine! :cry: I have bee.n gone for awhile and just got caught up here. I am so very sorry for your loss.
You have created a lovely memorial for her.

Sandy H

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Thank-you ladies for all your kind words, I've been taking care of Gabby's garden and it makes me feel like she's still around. I've been seeing a lot of family this summer, so I' havn't been on line.

Bella had a bout of very bloody feces, not quite sure why, but I was told that its part of her expelling collaped eggs??? I hope she's not going to go through what Gabby has for the past year. Her tongue is very pale, any thoughts about anemia and how to treat?

No one is really eating, hopefully it's d/t brumation season upon us. I hope all is well with everyones babies, as we go into the fall and brumation.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Hi Christine, it's good to hear from you. Oh my, poor Bella, what a drag for her and that must have been so scary for you. Tracie would be the best person to talk to about anemia in a dragon, she'd know what to recommend, for sure. Drache613, send her a PM to ask.

How are Ollie and Pyrex? All slowing down for winter, they seem to know when the seasons are changing before we do!

Glad you had a good summer and saw lots of your family, mine was busy with my grandson being born beg August, he's a month old already and has already gained 2 lbs. I saw him on Sunday, finally, both parents are still very sleep deprived, as Leo loves to be up at 2am & wants to be fed every 2 hours, during the day he sleeps longer. Eric was able to get another month of paternity leave, so is supposed to go back to work end September. It's done Tara good to have him there.

My crew are slowing down, too, Leo has been in his hide, off and on, for 2 weeks now, not sleeping, just doing the usual thing he does every winter. I drag him out every morning, warm him up and offer him food, otherwise he loses lots of weight. He'll sleep for a few days eventually, then will be up & he & Didi do this all winter, until the spring. Rubio will probably be going down within the next mo, he sleeps for a couple of months. Lonzo isn't allowed to sleep because of his bad lung, plus he's getting on, so prefer he be up every morning. He'll eat, then bask and he'll be asleep not long after I go to work, he's up longer on weekends. Gabriel hasn't bromated yet, so not sure what he'll do this winter and Titan is only a year old, so who knows?

I took Titan to the vet on Friday am, he's developed a skin infection that's under his left armpit and side, so is on injections every 3 days 7x, he's had 3 already (I seem to be good at it!) and doesn't mind them, but he never feels well afterwards, so he gets lots of acidophiluz to try to make his tummy feel better, then I apply an antibiotic cream, then he's back to the doc on Sept 21. Someone mentioned it could be Yellow Fungus, will have that discussion with my vet on the 21st. I'm so hoping it's not that...it's such a terrible disease & poor guy has been through enough. He had gained a lot of weight, though, he was 320g on June 1 and 580g last Friday, he sure loves his food!
Rubio went, too, he's got the start of a gum infection (mouth rot), so he's on a med, too, that I apply with a qtip on the inside of each side of his mouth, you can imagine how well that has gone over, he loves to thrash around & pick me with his spines :lol: Luckily I'm bigger so I always win the fight & he has to get his medication like it or not. :mrgreen:

I did finally get the MRI on my ankle and get the results on Monday, it's still not getting better after 9 mo, so there's something wrong. I'll let you know.

So take care, glad you were able to give me an update, I've missed you!
Deb

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Thanks Deb, I'll get in touch with Tracie about Bella, it was nice to chat with you today.........we'll keep in touch.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Christine, thought I'd check in and see how you are doing? I'm sure taking care of Gabby's garden helps a little and I'm sure she knows you're doing that for her.

Is Bella doing any better?

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Oh my Diane, somehow your message slipped though my fingers.........Thank-you for checking in and yes, taking care of Gabby's garden really helps with the pain of loss. There still are a few pansies popping up, I'm amazed! :)
Bella seems to be recovering from her dramatic blood clots she expelled. Her tongue is beginning to get some color back, but she's not really interested in eating. I've been supplementing with syringe feeding and critical care. Of course, it's time for brumation, so everyone is slowing down.
Hope all is well with all your babies, I havn't been around much lately, hopefully to get back into the swing of things soon,.........take care.....

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Hi Christine, it's good to hear that Bella is improving and it's that time of year for sure. None of mine really want to eat either, have to hand feed the lot of them. Didi and Leo are bromating, Rubio is still thinking about it but I think he doesn't want to miss anything :lol: Lonzo is still with me, but slipping a bit more every day, poor dear. He gets preferential treatment as much as I can manage. Gabriel is still my sweet man, but he does want to fight Rubio so badly :lol:

Titan had a biopsy on Friday, he started what we thought was a skin infection end Aug, but nothing has worked, so we think it might be fungal, it started on the back of his head and has now travelled to the middle of his belly, along his arms, and down his sides. I've been putting an anti-fungal cream on him but I think I've put it on too thick, so he gets nothing tomorrow, it will be a relief for him, as he was getting injections every 3 days, & cream every day after painting with Betadine, but nothing was helping. He's been exhausted & hardly moving, just stays under his basking spot all day with his eyes closed. My vet doesn't want him to have baths just yet, wants the biopsy sites to heal 1st, then 5 min Betadine baths every 2 days. Hopefully get the results of the biopsy soon, will let you know. I'm just praying it's not Yellow Fungus...will let you know.

I've been home for the last week, exhaustion & a fibromyalgia flare from the temp changing from high 80F to 50F in a day...feeling a bit better but still feel exhausted. See my doc on Thurs, so I'll check in the am, see if you're online.
Take care,
Deb

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Nice to hear from you Deb,............I didn't know that Lonzo was failing, I'm sorry for him and Titan, poor babies,............. and it seems like you've had a difficult week as well, I hope your Dr.s appointment bears good news. I won't be around the next few days, but maybe we can catch up this week-end. Take care.....

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Merry LATE Christmas everyone, and happy New Year to all! I've been away, packed up the crew and visiting relatives, all my beardies are well but sleepy or brumating, and we are expecting another east coast storm today. I havn't kept up with my threads, but have you all in my prayers and thoughts.
Hugs and bugs to all........................................

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Well that explains a lot, glad you had a good Xmas and here's to a good 2014! Hope all your family is well, did your son get out some for Xmas?

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
Late Merry Christmas to you! :D Good to see you back. We had great holidays with the in-laws.
SIL's house for Thanksgiving and FIL's for Christmas. The kids love playing with their cousins. :D I love the food.

Hope the new year is super for you and yours.

Sandy H :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom