HANDI-CAPABLE: THE 7 WONDERS OF MY WORLD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
WELCOME TO: BELLA, OLLIE, PYREX, GABBY, LINCOLN, SCARLETT, AND MICA'S STORY.

Hi everyone,
Somehow having 3 threads going at the same time, bogged me down from posting faithfully, I don't know why it would :?: , but I thought I'd consolidate the 3 together to make this one topic. I'm going to post some original info from each thread to update anyone who doesn't know my clan, then I'll have some new pics at the end.

From "HANDI-CAPABLE BELLA, PLUS OLLIE+ PYREX" Thread

~BELLA~
Well, on craig's list someone posted a 2 yr old "handicapped" girl......... aggressive (this may have been d/t improper lighting and food)............. so not a good pet for children, and would be asking for a rehoming fee.
Long story short.......the lister couldn't take care of her........... he was interested in other pets and was moving on, and when I saw a picture of her, I knew she was suppose to be mine. Many people called for her, and he said that if I came down to pick her up, he would not charge me for her. Sooooooooo...........off I went, with much anticipation and knowing it was going to be a long day trip.
When I saw her, she was in a dirty viv, sand substrate, urate smelling drift wood, and she was very small with poop smears on her. She had a household light bulb only......... with a black light for night time......... no food or vitamins on hand.......... with everything in much need of a good cleaning. In the owners defense......... he said he wanted her to go to a good home............. so someone could take care of her. When I saw her.......... I instantly fell in love.
I brought her some butterworms, to see if she would eat them in her enviroment before I scooped her up to take her away d/t the possibility that she'd have relocation stress and not eat. She goobled them up..........I was so happy!
When I picked her up, she was very tense, bearding without darkening, and trying to bite me x2........ but I was persistent, and rubbed the top of her head, so she settled down quickly. So tiny........I asked the owner, are you sure she's 2 yr's old? He said yes, and told me how she lost her feet, etc. Apparently she was a runt, and the other babies attacked her leaving her with her right front foot missing at the ankle, back left missing from the ankle down, back right missing right below the knee down, and half her tail. She has the front left limb completely, but the fingers are crooked, the limbs are very skinny, and mushy/soft, significant of MBD, also her jaw is a little off alignment, another sign of MBD too.
I wrapped her snuggly in a soft towel, and she went home on my friends chest, cozy and sleeping. I brought hand warmers with me so they were within the towel......... she was toasty warm and appeared very content. It was a long day, and the only time she moved, was when she did a poop........ much to my delight........... because of the sand substrate housing. I had brought another towel, just in case that happened.
I have named her "BELLA"...............for she is truely "beautiful".......... she has some orange/red on her face/beard and back, not too much, just enough. Her eyes are the perfect color with the golden color outlining the dark iris, she has a short nose, 9" long, from nose to tail end, and weighs 140 gm. She looks like a baby not a 2 yr. old.
When she woke up in the AM, she had a nice salad then I gave her some phoenix worms......... she's very alert and study's everything, including me. She pooped again, which was wonderful, formed but smelly, so I'll be testing her soon for parasites. Bath time was cute, I held her and took a soft toothbrush and removed the dried poop from her........ I think she thought she died and went to heaven.
I am using what I have........... I have cleaned and baked her things, I couldn't salvage one piece of driftwood, because the urate smell wouldn't come out.
I have a very low hammock for her, a hide, and a low log......... she manages well with walking........ but woobles d/t the MBD and her legs being unevenly amputated.
All I can say is............ she is precious, and I love her........... plus I want to give her the best home that she deserves, especially with her past. Meet Miss Bella Graham. (All my beardies have middle names)

~OLLIE~
He was my first beardie, I picked him out from a tank filled with at least 50 babies, didn't know a thing about beardies or their care. I soon found this site and quickly learned how to set up the viv, etc., and had a stool sample examined only to find out that he had AV. I hand fed him for over 2 years, plus he had pneumonia, so it was 14 days of injections, nebulizer treatments and medicines, but he is now eating on his own, still fussy about the greens at times, but appears stable. Meet Oliver "Ollie" Spike.

~PYREX~
He is a snow morph, and was abandoned at a reptile expo. I saw him on the information table, tiny and under a cool breeze, so I went to the MC and said it was nice they were using a baby beardie as their mascot, but he would freeze to death all day with the air conditioning blowing on him. He wasn't a mascot,............ and someone left him, :?: :?: so I waited all day for someone to claim him, no one did, and low and behold, I was driving home with a new baby. :D Meet Pyrex Ricco.

From "NEW BABIES AND PICS, Meet Gabby, Lincoln, and Scarlett!!" Thread
~LINCOLN AND GABBY~
So.............they have a Reptile expo in Co. 4x a yr. and yesterday was my first introduction to the western expo's. Of course, I was only going to buy some supplies, really............ but couldn't help my self to look at the babies, I should have never gone near the tables. One vendor had some beautiful morphs and I fell in love with a 4 month male, with a tail nip. He comes from a red sandfire/het/hypo/blood line, I held him of course, put him back and spent the day chatting with vendors and buying supplies, but when I went back, much to my amazement, he was still there................he made an offer I couldn't refuse.................but here's the unbelievable part.............I already had a little girl under my shirt (to keep her warm) that I purchased for $10.00. She was under another vendors table and while looking at their beautiful tiger/red babies, the vendor said, I have a baby that's been nipped on her foot/tail, would you like to see her? I should have said "no thank-you, I have to leave", but of course I said yes........... if you've been following Bella's thread, you know I rescue beardies, and I couldn't put her down.......the vendor said, "I want her to go to a good home", and that was it, paid the money and...........off I went to the ladies room, put her under my shirt, and she never moved the rest of the day. The vendor said she was a normal, but when she warmed up, her head became neon yellow, along with her shoulder blades, and when she was a baby, she had a diamond pattern going down her tail, thus, her name.......... So this is Lincoln Mosaic and Miss Gabby Diamond.

~SCARLETT~
She came to my home during part of my (pringle) addiction, one of my few beardies that does not have any infirmities; she's still growing and quick as ever, she keeps me on my toes and is getting her own little personality. Meet Scarlett Emerson.

From "MY NEW (PRINGLE) MICA" thread
~MICA~
Well, as some of you know, I've always wanted a "white" beardie, so I've kept my eyes open for the right one. It's difficult to know what a 6" baby will grow up to be, color-wise, even if the parents are leucistic, etc, so I've been hesitant in getting such a small tyke....................
Well........................., I found a 11 month old light colored male, hypo pastel, that I just loved when I saw him, and knew he'd me mine. To my surprise, he was very skinny and lethagic, but friendly and lovable. I really felt that he came to me as a rescue,........ just for me to nurture and love. Meet the one and only, Mica Jackson. :D

So there's the synopsis of each baby, and here are a few pics for an update.

~Bella~
Christinespictures2078.jpg

Christinespictures2109.jpg

Christinespictures2105.jpg

Christinespictures2073.jpg

~Ollie~
Christinespictures1986.jpg

Christinespictures1947.jpg

Christinespictures2133.jpg

Christinespictures2096.jpg

~Pyrex~
Christinespictures2118.jpg

Christinespictures2076.jpg

Christinespictures2091.jpg

~Lincoln~
Christinespictures1974.jpg

Christinespictures2103.jpg

Christinespictures2002.jpg

Christinespictures2080.jpg

~Gabby~
Christinespictures2114.jpg

Christinespictures2126.jpg

Christinespictures2146.jpg

Christinespictures2147.jpg

~Scarlett~
Christinespictures2007.jpg

Christinespictures2077.jpg

Christinespictures2081.jpg

~Mica~
Christinespictures2100.jpg

Christinespictures2085.jpg

Christinespictures2110.jpg

Christinespictures2084.jpg

So I hope you enjoyed the new pics, sorry for the long intro, but I hope you'll leave a note so you can continue to follow my special family and their updates. That's my one fear about closing my other threads, that I'll lose all my contacts, :( so please check in.

Bugs and hugs to all, :love5:

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
Hey, it was great to hear from you :) Glad that overall things are going good. The lake sounds beautiful and I'm glad you're enjoying life there :) I'll be posting soon on my threads, but I have 2 major deadlines due this upcoming friday (thank goodness the end is in sight!) so it'll have to wait until then. Stitch got a cute little couch for Christmas and I think you'll be amused by him chilling in it *grin*
Sorry your beardies are all sleeping.. it gets boring ! Thankfully Stitch hasn't brumated either winter I've had him. I'm not sure if Sydney is starting to wake up or it's just awake for a couple days. She galloped down to her salad when I put it down today :shock: So maybe your crew will wake up soon too :)

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Thanks Ladies, for checking in and well your wishes.......Deb, I think it's a riot that Leo wakes up to watch TV, :lol: ..........Ashley, it must be hard to have everyone sleeping, all mine are just groggy but not sleeping completely, no eating,...........Carrie, I'll be looking forward to seeing Stitch on his couch, precious.............Kiss, Kiss to Falcor and Tolkien while they're sleeping too. :wink:

Rukia1988

Juvie Member
ITs awful...however they have been out so long I forget they are there sometimes. I have one that keeps roaming around, can't find a good spot. Such a cutie! Its my sisters that I am watching while she is at school and I told her that the fee for watching her was that I keep her forever....Since I have fallen in love with her! I said she can have a baby or two babies if I ever hatch any lol.

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Rukia1988":3bxqse65 said:
ITs awful...however they have been out so long I forget they are there sometimes. I have one that keeps roaming around, can't find a good spot. Such a cutie! Its my sisters that I am watching while she is at school and I told her that the fee for watching her was that I keep her forever....Since I have fallen in love with her! I said she can have a baby or two babies if I ever hatch any lol.

Here we go, :roll: your family is going to grow before you know it! :laughing6:

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
beardie osk":3j8cpcvw said:
Exactly what I was thinking! :laughing6:

Gotta be careful...it's brumating adults that cause us to get another.... :lol: ...an another....etc... :lol:

Hi Christine!
Glad to see both our computers are being nice today. :D

I have one beardie out, 2 semi/up and down, an everyone else is awake as if it were Springtime.

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
fresnowitte":1oclci5g said:
Hi Christine!

I have one beardie out, 2 semi/up and down, an everyone else is awake as if it were Springtime.

Hi Barb,
My computer is fairly new, so I don't get it, but my curser gets stuck and only allows me to read and not reply, but so far so good. I'm glad yours is in check. Is your grandson living with you again?

All mine are groggy or sleepy except for Gabby, but no one is interested in eating, it's a quiet house.

Rukia1988

Juvie Member
fresnowitte":3ku9hwvj said:
beardie osk":3ku9hwvj said:
Exactly what I was thinking! :laughing6:

Gotta be careful...it's brumating adults that cause us to get another.... :lol: ...an another....etc... :lol:

Hi Christine!

This is exactly how I aquired Azura, Athena, Percius, and Achillies.....That was a bad brumation last year....I am strong this year. I also have other reptiles that keep me on my toes. I am super excited for this spring I am doing quite a few reptile presentations and some classes this summer. I enjoy sharing them with everyone. I hope to have some eggs to show the children in my classes (possibly non fertile ones even and maybe some fertile ones so they can see a baby since I don't have any babies atm.) This is bad....lol :roll:

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Rukia1988":rt7dhorp said:
This is exactly how I aquired Azura, Athena, Percius, and Achillies.....That was a bad brumation last year....I am strong this year. I also have other reptiles that keep me on my toes. I am super excited for this spring I am doing quite a few reptile presentations and some classes this summer. I enjoy sharing them with everyone. I hope to have some eggs to show the children in my classes (possibly non fertile ones even and maybe some fertile ones so they can see a baby since I don't have any babies atm.) This is bad....lol :roll:

That's so neat that you do reptile presentations. I want to bring my two big beardies to my work for the nursing home residents to see. We just had miniature horses here yesterday and it gives the old folk something to think about other than their problems. I just wonder how my beardies will act...! :lol:

Rukia1988

Juvie Member
Mine are use to it but I started small bringing them to pet stores and carrying them around outside in the summer and such getting them use to being handled by others and seeing lots of things. I have a few that are frightened by the presentations but Pip and Zippy are definitely masters of getting attention. I have never had a reptile bite anyone either because I always, before letting people hold them show them the proper way and tell them to keep all fingers and hands away from the face of the reptile. I don't let people hold my veiled because hes a butt and would bite me if I let him. All my other animals are chill the frogs bite but thats because they think you have food in your hands. They don't have much in the lines of teeth though. its cool and I have about 5 classes in the making for this spring and summer.

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
ShannyBeard":12rhvo7d said:
That's so neat that you do reptile presentations. I want to bring my two big beardies to my work for the nursing home residents to see. :lol:

Elderly love pet therapy, especially furry animals, so I wonder how they will respond to a reptile, I know alot of folks that are squeemish about them. You'll have to let us know how that goes.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Hi Christine,
How are you & your crew doing? Are you getting bad weather. Anyone else up now except Gabby? No-one is eating here either. Rubio & Lonzo are fast asleep, I get them up every 2 weeks for water & a bit of calcium, just to make sure they're bones are ok. Didi gets up once in awhile but hardly eats. Leo still gets up daily to watch TV, he doesn't hardly move from that position. If he doesn't like a show, he just turns around. I've been feeding him dubia roaches, he won't chase them, he's just too lazy. I'm hoping they'll all gest used to the roaches when they wake up, meanwhile have to keep culling the adults, as they grow so fast. I had no idea, never having had a colony before.

What a drag about the cursor on your computer, wonder what's making it stick like that. Hope you figure it out. I really love the computer I bought, it's a Toshiba Satellite, has a full keyboard & so far, no issues. So I'll hope yours starts to behave itself!
Hugs
Deb

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
sweetiepie9":1vec7624 said:
Hi Christine,
How are you & your crew doing? Are you getting bad weather. Anyone else up now except Gabby? No-one is eating here either. Rubio & Lonzo are fast asleep, I get them up every 2 weeks for water & a bit of calcium, just to make sure they're bones are ok. Didi gets up once in awhile but hardly eats. Leo still gets up daily to watch TV, he doesn't hardly move from that position. If he doesn't like a show, he just turns around. I've been feeding him dubia roaches, he won't chase them, he's just too lazy. I'm hoping they'll all gest used to the roaches when they wake up, meanwhile have to keep culling the adults, as they grow so fast. I had no idea, never having had a colony before.

What a drag about the cursor on your computer, wonder what's making it stick like that. Hope you figure it out. I really love the computer I bought, it's a Toshiba Satellite, has a full keyboard & so far, no issues. So I'll hope yours starts to behave itself!
Hugs
Deb

Hi Deb,
Things have been pretty quite around here lately, no appetites and sleepy........... however, Scarlett, Pyrex and Ollie were all zipping around their viv today, almost seemed like spring hormones flying. Yesterday, Bella came out of her cave over to the viv glass front, and Gabby jumped off her stump like a gazelle, black bearding and pacing. I think she'd fight Bella if she got next to her, although Bella is fiesty, and she'd put up a good fight as well. Whew, :roll: we'll never find out. :|
The computer seems fine right now, I've just been so behind on posting any pics, with everyone being so sleepy.
Still can't get over Leo watching TV, at least you have some company. :D

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Hi everyone, :wave:

I've been so negligent with my own thread, that it's a wonder any one bothers to check in :roll: ............................

Well today was not a good day for my Bella,..............she had another one of her episodes again in her bath today. For those of you that may remember, it was such a scary thing for me. Again, she went limp in the bath water, but this time I was right with her. She was licking from my syringe and all of a sudden, she went limp, not breathing, eyes closed and bulging,.....it was awful! What I didn't realize is that she was pushing out a urate and working on a BM at the same time when this all happened. I know that in humans there is a syndrome called "Vagal response" which involved the vagus nerve, it happens when someone is having a BM on the toilet, and many people have died during this process. I wonder if this can happen with beardies,especially when this happened last time in her bath water?? Bella was non response for at least 15 minutes, her BM came out, which really upset me,(when people die, they loose all their urine and bm)........I held her upside down in the palm of my hand gently hitting and rubbing her back, cleaning out her mouth when she brought up anything, gave her rescue breaths and CPR for the whole time she was out. She had her mouth open after a while and I wiped her tongue and gave breaths, one time I pulled out an old flattened superworm shell, :bleick: (she hadn't had a superworm in a while) Finally after bringing up some phlegm, and working on her, (which seemed like forever), she slowly came around. I put her on my chest until she really became alert and re-oriented, on top of a small heated pad. Anytime I wanted to move her away from my chest to check on her, she tried to grab back onto my shirt/chest. It was so sweet, it was like she was saying "Hold me mommy, I'm afraid." So that's what I did................now she's resting in her viv, her eyes are clear, and she seems ok, for the moment anyway. Please say a little prayer for my Bella...............it's amazing how things can change in a moment!

(Sorry for being so graphic, I just needed to vent, thanks for being here)

Rukia1988

Juvie Member
I sorry to hear that! Thats so scary....Maybe she does have that have you asked a vet if its possible? I don;t see why it wouldn't be.

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Rukia1988":15hh6viy said:
I sorry to hear that! Thats so scary....Maybe she does have that have you asked a vet if its possible? I don;t see why it wouldn't be.

Yes, it was very scary, the thing that was different this time was the fact I was not going to give up on her, whereas before, I was in such a shock, I thought I really lost her, thank the good Lord I didn't stop working on her. I havn't asked a vet about this, but that's a great idea, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom