Hamsters

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Does anyone have a hamster.? We realized a turtle for my oldest may be too big a commitment for her just yet. She's turning 8 and reaaaaaly wanted a turtle. But she conceded that if she can take care of something like a fish or a hamster for a year or so (or it's few years life span, really) then we would get her a turtle. I know nothing about hamsters. My cousin has a couple but that was 20 years ago and care info has obviously changed. So does anyone know (as far as bedding, chew toys, sand for bath, type of food, etc) what is best for them.?

Picture of Miko for attention

Attachments

• 16939686674641765331069117565107.jpg
    16939686674641765331069117565107.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 113

Hazelthebeardeddragon

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel
Does anyone have a hamster.? We realized a turtle for my oldest may be too big a commitment for her just yet. She's turning 8 and reaaaaaly wanted a turtle. But she conceded that if she can take care of something like a fish or a hamster for a year or so (or it's few years life span, really) then we would get her a turtle. I know nothing about hamsters. My cousin has a couple but that was 20 years ago and care info has obviously changed. So does anyone know (as far as bedding, chew toys, sand for bath, type of food, etc) what is best for them.?

They need a pretty big tank (not a wire one a glass one) with a ton of bedding so they can dig. They die in very weird ways (one of my friends had a heart attack because he sneezed) and some of them are mean. Either way y’all both need to take care of it and you make sure it’s doing ok and your child is taking good care of it.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
The last time i had hamsters i was about 8 or 9, I'm 50 now lol 😆

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
They need a pretty big tank (not a wire one a glass one) with a ton of bedding so they can dig. They die in very weird ways (one of my friends had a heart attack because he sneezed) and some of them are mean. Either way y’all both need to take care of it and you make sure it’s doing ok and your child is taking good care of it.
Why is a wire tank bad for them.? Because they can chew through it or something.?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko

This is a pretty good care sheet, lots of info to consider. An aquarium can be used but metal cages work as well .

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
This is a pretty good care sheet, lots of info to consider. An aquarium can be used but metal cages work as well .

Is this okay for bedding.? I keep seeing "fluff" isn't good for them but I can't find anything besides that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230906_152705_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230906_152705_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 35

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Yes that’s fine
Okay good. I was sweating it for sure. We got that, a cage (metal wire one with tunnels which we will replace soon) and a set of some chew toys. I hope this goes well, my oldest gets attached easily and is emotional and I know hamsters can be fragile

Hazelthebeardeddragon

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel
Okay good. I was sweating it for sure. We got that, a cage (metal wire one with tunnels which we will replace soon) and a set of some chew toys. I hope this goes well, my oldest gets attached easily and is emotional and I know hamsters can be fragile
They need a lot of bedding. The wire cages, while sold at pet stores, really aren’t the best. Your animal will live in them fine but I’m sure you’d rather them thrive

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
There are pros and cons to either wire cage or glass. Wire is fine because the bottom is made to hold plenty of bedding [ but some of it might get kicked out]. But the good thing about it is it allows more ventilation and any bedding that gets wet will dry much quicker than in a glass tank. Still, either type of enclosure can be a good choice that a hamster can thrive in.

Hazelthebeardeddragon

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel
There are pros and cons to either wire cage or glass. Wire is fine because the bottom is made to hold plenty of bedding [ but some of it might get kicked out]. But the good thing about it is it allows more ventilation and any bedding that gets wet will dry much quicker than in a glass tank. Still, either type of enclosure can be a good choice that a hamster can thrive in.
Oh. I didn’t know that I just said what I was told

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
I have a hamster too she’s in a wire cage. She has at least 8” of bedding and the cage is not one of those tiny ones that companies think are great for hamsters. I got one that’s at least 600 square inches of floor space. She’s actually happy in there she comes out most nights so she’s only asleep, eating or getting some water in there. She’s almost 2 years old now so she mostly sleeps.

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
It's been decades since I've had a hamster but one thing I remember is be sure to check thier bedding for food stashes now and again and make sure they aren't rotting.

Hamsters supposedly choose one area as a latrine and another as a pantry, but some of mine weren't very smart and would pee all over the piles of food they stored causing a nasty mess if you didn't catch it early.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom