Hammy my beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halley

Original Poster
And to others thank you for being kind and understanding. I know know it was probably an infection and he probably didnt show any signs of it until last minute when it got worse. I know this because I did email my vet a picture and like the other person above said it could have well been a bacterial infection being there was yellow stuff and the cracks. Probably from a cricket. I'm sorry for Bri g really jumpy but I would NEVER EVER do anything to harm or neglect any of my animals and if I was not clear on anything because of the panic I was in because of these random cracks on his back than I am truly sorry. The vet wouldve been my main option of i could have made it there trust me but I used this page to see if it had has happened to anyone elses dragon and if there was maybe something I could buy to maybe help him. But I guess I should've explained better. So maybe it is my fault but honestly there wasn't anything I could do right than and there. Especially because he got worse over night. The day before he was still alert and moved when he was to hot and didn't eat so I did what any one else would do and gave him a warm bath. Thought maybe he was impacted but this wasn't the case. I didn't want him to die and for some one to think I would just let my animal die from neglect and no cares for a pet is just wrong. I sought out for help not judgements because he died. It all happened so fast and I know now what to look out for

Varalidaine

Juvie Member
I'm glad the other tank has a strip light, as coils are not very effective (they only produce UVB in one directed spot instead of a gradient across the tank).

As for the illness, I would be worried it was yellow fungus with you saying it was yellow and cracking. Yellow Fungus is highly contagious and 100% lethal, so I would throw out anything in that cage that can't be sanitized with heat (heat is the most effective method of sterilization). Wood, resin, stone, etc decorations and bowls can be baked at 225 for 20-30 mins and allowed to cool in the oven. I would throw out anything else though, including the tank (can't really sanitize silicone). Or sanitize the tank the best you can and use it for non-reptiles (hamsters, guinea pigs, etc.) I cleaned my tank with 2 bleachings (rinsing in between) and I sat it in front of a space heater to heat the glass as much as possible. I eventually went over it with a steam cleaner as well before putting another dragon in it. I would also sterilize any tools, like feeding tongs, and throw any colonies or batches of feeder bugs you might have touched after handling him or his cage. I would steam clean the carpet around the tank as well.

Hoping it isn't yellow fungus, but it sounds severe from what you described. If you search yellow fungus in bearded dragons on Google, is that what it looked like he had?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Please refrain from personal attacks because this does nothing to help matters. There is no call for judging someone when you are not in their shoes. Practice some empathy for crying out loud, you never know when one day you will be on the receiving end. It takes more restraint to be cordial than it takes to be mean so please choose your words more wisely & be more thoughtful.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am very sorry for your loss :cry: We are here to help if you would like to review your tank setup or anything. It sounds highly possible that it could have been yellow fungus perhaps.

Tracie

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
I am sorry for your loss :(

I know what that feels like as I have lost a pet too. He was only in my care for two weeks and in that time frame we have bonded very well. He was very ill to begin with. I did everything i could do in my power to save him and it is very frustrating when you have an animal you deeply care about. You did all you can do, you tried to do the best you can do in your favor. Just know we are here to help you and everyone else who might need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarthPenumbra
Top Bottom