Hammy my beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halley

So I have had my bearded dragon for 2 months now. He is almost 4 months old. But he is very lethargic and doesn't move or open his eyes, he is still breathing, however, when you hold him he doesn't cling on tight with his toes and claws, he don't eat, but I do mist him with water and he licks it off his nose. His one eye looks sunken but his eye lid sticks out. His other eye seems fine but his eyes look pure black and that isn't normal he has bright eyes...
And than on his back he has these like cracks where you can see flesh and what looks to be a rib on the left side by his liver. And this crack goes up to his neck. There is also one on his right side that was bleeding and look swollen on the spin. Can someone please tell me what is going on!? It's sad to see him like this..

Mysty

Juvie Member
I'd so everything possible to get him to a reptile vet... if you're worried about cost at least call a vet and describe the symptoms. Most vets have manageable payment options.

There's an awful lot going on there. Blood work, skin swabs etc could yell you if your dragon has a treatable illness or if he's unlikely to get better.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
If you have photos we might be able to give some better suggestions but from your description he sounds pretty unwell. I'd suggest taking him to an exotics vet with reptile experience for a evaluation. If he has open wounds he is probably in pain and at risk of infection. A vet would help you decide how much it would take to diagnose/treat or if he is simply suffering too much.

How is your setup? What lights and such are you using?

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Oh no... it could be various of things. Need to get him to Herp Vet ASAP! Do not wait! I had a really bad experience with a chameleon he was acting just like this and literally past away two weeks later. Do not wait any longer please. Not to scare you but its really important! If Hammy is not attentive and his head isn't raised, not active at all, that is a huge sign of not feeling well. Is Hammy basking at all? Usually if eyes are sunken in usually means they are dehydrated. You can try to put Hammy in a nice warm bath. In meantime, get him to a herp vet.
http://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

I hope Hammy makes it through.

Halley

Original Poster
I do have a picture. He looks bad. But where I am at the nearest vet is 1 Hr 30 min away. I am using all national geographic lights. They have their uv lights and their environments are at a correct temperature. They have I believe 50 watt to 150 watt red lights and basking lights. Which were a suggestion from the place I receive this beardie and all my others seem to be fine with no problems. He does bask that's where he sits all the time doesn't move but his head isn't up and I mist him to keep him hydrated. I just don't know how to post a picture on here to show you.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Okay obviously he's dying and he needs to get to a certified Reptile vet immediately. That should go without saying. Those National Geographic lights are junk, he and I'm assuming all of your other Beardies (how many do you currently have?) have never had proper UVB lighting if they are all using those lights. You should NEVER use a colored basking bulb at anytime, not for daytime or nighttime. Bearded Dragons have very unique and specific UVB lighting needs and if they don't get the correct wavelength and amount of UVB light they will not be able to digest their food, process their calcium (resulting in Metabolic Bone Disease among other problems like the eye problems), etc.

If all of your beardies have the same UVB lights and red basking bulbs you are going to have major problems with all of them eventually. It usually starts with them not eating, sleeping all the time, and stunted growth. You need to throw away all of the red lights, they hurt their eyes and do no good, only harm. Your beardies need only 2 lights, most importantly a 10.0 T8 or T5 high-output UVB TUBE LIGHT, never use those coiled bulbs that fit into regular lightbulb fixtures, they hurt their eyes, skin, and don't put out nearly enough UVB. And compact UVB bulbs (regular lightbulb shaped UVB bulbs) do not put out the correct UVB. You should use either a long florescent tube UVB light and then a bright white basking light, or you can spend a bit more and buy a Mercury Vapor Bulb which is an all-in-one UVB and basking bulb. The only UVB light that is really adequate for what Beardies need are the REPTISUN 10.0 T8 or T5 tubes, or the Arcadia 12% tubes (Europe). That's it. And for a basking bulb all you need is a plain old bright white (not soft white or any colors) halogen lightbulb like you use in your house. I buy indoor halogen flood bulbs, bright white, and usually use either a 75w or 100w, whatever gets my basking spot and hot side temps correct. I buy them at Lowes for I think $9 and they're Sylvania brand.

Focusing on your young beardie that is seriously ill and/or injured right now, it should be obvious to you that you need to drive the hour and a half to a certified Reptile vet immediately! Most people have to drive more than 4 or 5 hours one way to get to a certified Reptile vet, so an hour and a half is nothing!!! If his bones are exposed and you actually admit "he looks really bad" then get in your car and take him now! He's suffering greatly, that's my major concern and should be yours. From what you are describing he is probably going to die from either whatever the issue is or from the horrible infection that has no doubt set in already.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be harsh or rude, but I really can't believe you have a baby beardie with open wounds that expose his ribs on both sides of his body, and he's been like this for some time now because that doesn't happen overnight, and you have allowed him to suffer like this for so long, and you jump online to a forum instead of taking him to a reptile vet, for if nothing else to be euthanized humanely and painlessly. And your excuse for allowing him to suffer and not getting him help is because the vet is an hour and a half drive? This is one of the worst descriptions of suffering I've ever heard, so please just get him in the car and take him to the reptile vet to at least put him out of his misery.

And if "all" your other bearded dragons have the same lighting and environments then they're likely sick as well, or will be soon, that I can guarantee because they have never had proper UVB lighting, and I'm sure you're also using those round gauge thermometers to take their enclosure temps? They are junk and are off + or - 20 to 30 degrees, plus you cannot measure their main basking spots with them to begin with, which could be what has caused this issue, you could be literally cooking your beardies. You need to spend $10 and buy a digital thermometer with a probe on a wire that you can place the probe right on their main basking spots and get an accurate temperature reading. Each enclosure needs to have 3 proper temperature zones: the hot side, the cool side, and the main basking spot. You need to place the probe on the main basking spot and let it sit there for at least 20 minutes before reading the temperature. Then move the probe down to the floor of the enclosure on the same side that the basking spot is on (hot side). Again let the probe sit for at least 20 minutes before reading the temperature. Then move the probe to the floor on the opposite side of the enclosure from the basking spot and hot side. This is the cool side. Let the probe sit on the floor of the cool side for at least 20 minutes before reading the temperature. That's the only way to get accurate temperature readings.

Hot side=95-98 degrees Fahrenheit
Cool side=75-80 degrees Fahrenheit
Main Basking Spot=105-110 for babies/juveniles
100-105 for adults

Halley

Original Poster
First of all Ellen'd i never said they had red basking lights. Because they don't. They have a red light that I got from the pet store years ago that came in a kit. You are making this seem like I don't take care of my pets when I DO. They have regular white basking lights! Only thing that's geographic is the lamp not the light itself. And secondly I have not been letting my beardie suffer today is the first day he has had an open wound with human looking flesh under his scales. And youre right a different normal person would hop on their car and drive that far for a bet but don't you know not Every one had that kind of money to run to the vet or gas? Like common you kidding me don't just hop on someone's question. And assume that people let pets suffer. And nextly I have been giving him warm baths and stuff when he first got lazy so you know what leave your rude comments to yourself. The lights are perfect they have proper lighting. And for your information he died. And maybe I could have saved him but I couldn't Okay? And he was in a cage alone. Alone! Cause he is smaller and not an adult like the others. It started out as him being lazy and than went to him having a sunken eye I bathed him I did everything I possibly could. This isnt my first rodeo. I love all my pets so much. It was clearly his time to go. So back off. When I called the vet they said it could be liver failure or so many other things. But he couldnt make it not Every one has that type of money to run that hour in to a town for a vet. Plus the fees. So dint tell me how to take care of my pets. One day they are fine and the next sick and not moving anf than like today open wounds trying to take care of them and hours later he does. It's the circle of life. So please be nicer to people you dont know what type of situation they are in.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Halley":2t84gmt8 said:
First of all Ellen'd i never said they had red basking lights. Because they don't. They have a red light that I got from the pet store years ago that came in a kit. You are making this seem like I don't take care of my pets when I DO. They have regular white basking lights! Only thing that's geographic is the lamp not the light itself. And secondly I have not been letting my beardie suffer today is the first day he has had an open wound with human looking flesh under his scales. And youre right a different normal person would hop on their car and drive that far for a bet but don't you know not Every one had that kind of money to run to the vet or gas? Like common you kidding me don't just hop on someone's question. And assume that people let pets suffer. And nextly I have been giving him warm baths and stuff when he first got lazy so you know what leave your rude comments to yourself. The lights are perfect they have proper lighting. And for your information he died. And maybe I could have saved him but I couldn't Okay? And he was in a cage alone. Alone! Cause he is smaller and not an adult like the others. It started out as him being lazy and than went to him having a sunken eye I bathed him I did everything I possibly could. This isnt my first rodeo. I love all my pets so much. It was clearly his time to go. So back off. When I called the vet they said it could be liver failure or so many other things. But he couldnt make it not Every one has that type of money to run that hour in to a town for a vet. Plus the fees. So dint tell me how to take care of my pets. One day they are fine and the next sick and not moving anf than like today open wounds trying to take care of them and hours later he does. It's the circle of life. So please be nicer to people you dont know what type of situation they are in.

Please calm down, we were all just trying to help you. Yes, it probably could have been said in a nicer way, but what's done is done.

I am so sorry about your beardie.

Varalidaine

Juvie Member
I am curious as to your lighting for them. They should have two lights on during the day and no lights at night. One should be heat and one should be UVB.

I couldn't see anywhere where you said if you used a UVB bulb? UVB are either spirals/coils or strip lights, with the strip lights being far superior. It's a bit hard to understand from the previous conversation, but you said you use National Geopgraphic brand bulbs, and they only made coil UVB bulbs. Or do you use a different brand of UVB?

As for the illness, the only time I have seen skin crack open is from Yellow Fungus or bacterial infections caused by crickets being left in the tank. Did you leave crickets are other insects in with your little one? Otherwise, Yellow Fungus is highly contagious and could easily spread to your other babies. If you can, I would still post a photo of the setup and the dragon so maybe it can be prevented from happening again.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I'm so sorry your little one didn't make it. I hope you review your setups for the other dragons even if you choose not to participate in the forum again. I believe his skin injury was sudden, but the lead up to it was not. You may have gotten back luck when you got him; or he may have failed to thrive from husbandry issues.

Again, I'm so sorry for your loss. If you want someone to go over the equipment you have for your others, feel free to PM or e-mail me.

Halley

Original Poster
The bulbs are coils. I was suggested them. They do only have two lights on. The basking and the uvb light to help them digest food. And you could be right. It was some type of infection. And no. We always take out the food they don't eat and keep their environment clean, due to the smell and I dont like to see feces all over. Good to keep them clean anyway. The other tank has a strip ubv light that stretches across the tank. But both tanks are at correct temperature. 98 on the basking side and about 80 on the other. Sometimes 75 if it is damp in the house. But i always make sure tempatures are correct. I really don't like when my pets die. And yes you are correct. He could be had this sickness before I ever got him from the breeder. But I guess this is how the circle of life works. There is a uploaded picture of my beardie. And I could post how i have my tanks set up.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I'm sorry if I sounded harsh, it was out of concern for your beardie. I'm sorry he died.

I'm not going to pull any punches with you now...Yes, I know "not everyone has the money to take their pets to the vet and pay for gas and fees"...I'm sure you live your pets, but honestly IF YOU CANNOT AFFORD TO TAKE YOUR PETS TO THE VET WHEN THEY NEED TO GO, THEN YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE THEM TO BEGIN WITH!!!

I can't believe you would actually jump down my throat and try to intelligently argue that I was wrong in telling you to take your beardie to the vet after the description you gave of him, then tell me he wasn't suffering, AND THEN TRY YO MAKE THE FACT THAT NOT EVERYONE CAN AFFORD TO TAKE THEIR PETS TO THE VET!!! Seriously? I wouldn't have said anything except I'm sorry he died, but since you decided to go off on me, now I'll be 100% honest with you. You just should not have pets if you can't afford to drive them an hour and a half and pay for the vet care they obviously needed since now he's dead. So it's not like I was off point.

If I misunderstood about your lighting I'm sorry, but I wasn't being harsh, I was just explaining proper lighting to you, and you decided to get all defensive and tell me "This isn't my first rodeo", okay, then if that's the case you know you shouldn't have any pets if you can't afford to take proper care of them, it's neglect. And don't tell me it's not, simply loving your pets is not taking proper care of them. Don't use lack of money as an excuse for no vet care, it's *****ic.

I'm sorry he died, but I'm glad he's not suffering anymore. And I'm sorry if you took the way I said things in my first post the wrong way, but don't you dare berate me when you have pets you cannot afford to care properly for.

Lack of money is not an excuse to not get your pets proper medical care, it's the reason you shouldn't have pets to begin with!

Halley

Original Poster
At the tjme being no I didn't have the money to take my let up to the vet. You have no right to tell me I should own pets. My pets do get taken care of! They have all the proper food and every thing and love and care. Just because i said I couldn't afford to take him right than and there doesn't make me careless. Doesn't mean I neglect my pets because I couldnt just jump and take him to the vet. I would never neglect my animals. That's harsh and uncalled for. He may not be suffering anymore. And he may not be sick anymore. But do not think for one second I don't blame my self for what happened. I cared for him the best I could and the vet was not an option at that point in time. He had good care. So hop off. Like foreal. My pets are well taken care of. If it would have been a week sooner or later I would have probably had the money. Secondly he got sick really fast. IT'S THE CIRCLE OF LIFE. How would you know why I didn't have money in that time being. Well here let me explain. I buy my dragons a thousand crickets, worms, greens, calcium powder, than on top of that I have dog food, cat food, I have genuine pigs. All which have different food. So yes. I was short on money. I have gas to get to work and back until pay day. And you know what. If I could yeah I probably would have jumped to the vet as soon as I woke up and saw the crack on his back and that he wasn't moving. So excuse me for making sure my pets have food. And im sorry I didn't jump when you said vet. But you know what it is what it is. I'M SORRY NOT EVERYONE IS PERFECT JUST LIKE YOU! But I'm not gonna waste my time explaining my self anymore to someone like you who judges because my pet got super sick over night. Excuse me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom