Hammock/Fabric Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrettyinPurple

Hatchling Member
I want to create cloth hammocks for my bearded dragons (I am well-versed with a sewing machine), and I was just wondering if anyone knew how often they should be washed? Understandably if one of my beardies defacates on them they would get washed, but I wasn't sure if there was a known time frame that fabrics should be left in an enclosure since they could easily absorb smells. I've also placed large pieces of really soft fabric (with no loose strings that they can swallow) in the tanks for them to burrow in because I've noticed when I hold them they like to hide their heads under t-shirt folds and blankets when they're sleeping. I guess I would have the same washing question for those, too!
Is there any other advice that anyone would have for this sort of thing? Size? Distance from heat source? Etc?
Thank you!!!

smackey2

Hatchling Member
As for washing, I normally throw everything in the wash at least once a week, if not more depending on if she had an accident or not.
Spike has a cloth like hammock that I ordered off of etsy, a new little snuggle sack/bed thing I just crocheted for her last night out of baby blanket yarn, and washrags throughout her tank that she likes to crawl under/sit on/bask on. (I have one rag over her basking rock as I feel it gets a little warm to the touch, one on the floor in the middle of her tank that she likes to hide under, and one that partially covers some of the bark on her habba hut.
(Plus, I like the fact that they add a little extra color to her tank.)

PrettyinPurple

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you! I guess I'll just be sure to wash their fabric every time I do laundry. That definitely helps! I like the added color as well (I even tried to pick hammock fabrics to compliment their scale colors :lol: ). I think it's a really good idea that you put fabric over your lizard's basking rock. I was considering getting a rock for the one tank and the last think I want to do is let it get too hot :(
Does the fabric over the hut help keep it cooler?

smackey2

Hatchling Member
The basking rock never seemed to bother her, warm wise, but when I touch it, to my hand it feels quite toasty so I just cover it. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Spike isn't much for logs or for climbing for that matter, so the rock works wonders.

I don't know about keeping the habba hut cooler or not, but it feels rough to me, with the bark on it, so I just folded up one of the rags and tossed over part of it just in case the bark was too rough or she wanted a different feeling while being on it. (I probably over though it, but oh well. Haha.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom