Half-Hunger Strike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys...

When i went to the reptile show, i bought a box of 250 Butterworms. I normally feed the as treats, so i figured, hey, they're about $3 for 6.. i can get a whoel thing of 250 for $30, why not?

So, i fed thema little bit more than normal, but really nto too much..

Well, i think i might have fed leo too many? i gave him 3 like normal, but now he's gone off of crickets..
I haven't tried feeding him more butters, because if that's why he's doing this, i don't want him to think that if he keeps up not eating crickets i'll just keep giving him butters.

He will barely eat his greens, but once he realizes it's not a worm, he drops it.. The weird thing is, it seems like a hunger strike, except for worms??

Because i went to give him phoenix worms, and he ate them up, just wont touch his crickets!

I can't get ahold of silkworms, no place around me carries them.. And i don't want to feed his addiction to butters, and the phoenix worms i have are small, just for a little calcium supplementation on top of the calcium from the dusted crickets he was eatting..

Any ideas?

BTW - Leo's 7 and a half months old now, so, not sure if that helps at all, was thinking maybe getting some horned worms?

Thanks in advance,
Pat

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I have the same problem with my newest, Zoom Zoom. She saw my husband feeding Speedy some smaller superworms which she eats with no problems. Zoom Zoom wanted one so my husband gave her one of the smaller ones. We didn't do this much because of the potential problems with them. Since then, she doesn't seem to want crickets as much as she did before. What we did was call Mulberry Farms and asked for smaller superworms. The ones they sent us were very tiny, smaller than any I've ever seen. :whip: :whip: Yes, we are beardie whipped. The only way to change this is to tell your male that there is no good worms until he eats some crickets. Don't feed worms for a day or two, yes it works, to a certain degree.

KrazYKinetiK

Original Poster
thanks for the reply :)

yeah, that's what iwas thinking...

the main thing I wanna do, I'd be completely fine taking them off crickets, if I could get ilkworms for a nice cheap price anywhere around me :(

PuffPuff11

Hatchling Member
My Beardie has been doing this for about 3 months now....

He will not eat anything but superworms...... not even his veggies....
I am wondering can I feed him too many worms?

He is 11 years old so he definately should be eating more salad than worms but he will not touch his salad so I have been feeding him like 5-10 supers a day?

Should I continue to feed him worms everyday or just give them to him 2-3 days a week?

KrazYKinetiK

Original Poster
WOW, 11 years old?

congrats on that, seriously.. I'd stop feeding him super worms really, but that's just me.. because I know that butters (reason i'm in this perdicament) and superworms can be addicting... and being 11 years old, he really needs almost no protein in his diet.. I know that Uromastyx will do ANYTHING for a superworm, and they're strict vegitarians.. so, they get addicted to them and won't eat anything else..

Hope this helped at all,
Pat

PuffPuff11

Hatchling Member
Well that is great.....

I haven't given him worms in two days.... The last time he got them was thursday....

I was kinda thinking the same thing because I got him from someone... and they were telling me that they only feed him crickets like maybe 2x a month.... I thought that wasnt enough so I started feeding him superworms like 2-3x a week... and I figured I probably had spoiled him...

I was just worried that he wouldnt touch his salad, this started like the end of August,... so I started feeding him worms everyday.....
I guess ill stop to see if he will start eating his greens again.

I also think he is brumating... because he is not as active and wont poop in his cage..... only in the bath, which doesnt bother me! I was contributing his lack of interest in the salad to him brumating....

But im starting to think that is not the case because he always eat the superworms.

Do you think the amount of worms I have been feeding him could be bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom