*Gyda Warrior Princess*

Status
Not open for further replies.
After years of wanting one and at least a year of research I finally talked my husband into letting me get my first BD. I went and got a 40 gallon breeder on the $1 gallon sale (after being on here now I really want to build a viv :shock: ) and got a T8 reptisun, basking light and a CHE. Once I got the temps where they needed to be I started looking online at breeders to see what little guy/gal I was going to bring home (I unfortunately had little luck finding anyone near me) anywho long story short I had gone to Petsmart to get a hide and some branches when low and behold this little gal came racing up to me and started doing a glass dance and proceeded to follow me back and forth down the tank as I was looking. She had me right then and there. I went back for some repti carpet (which is a whole other pain in the butt) and then started the hunt to find an associate to get this little beauty out for me.

87862-6953287925.jpg

I get her home and introduce her my hubby, he has her all of 5 seconds and she's up his arm and acrobating off and onto the floor :shock: imagine my horror just got her home and I'm thinking great we've lost her or worse killed her. Luckily the floor is carpeted so she seemed fine and hadn't moved from where she landed but I kept a close eye on her for the next hour or so. She gave me the stink eye the whole time.

87862-8386459266.jpg

She seems to be doing well. I went to bed with her in this position and woke up with her in the same spot. I about fell over laughing. How on earth she could possibly be comfortable is beyond me.

87862-2338496363.jpg

PinkArcher

Original Poster
When I got Ember on 8/13 I decided to chart her growth once a week, which I wish I would have thought of it when I got Gyda but figured its better late than never.
Ember
8/13: 6 1/2in & 14g
8/20: 7 1/4in & 22g
8/27: 8 1/4in & 27g
Gyda
8/13: 7 1/2in & 21g
8/20: 8 3/4in & 34g
8/27: 9in & 39g
They are growing so fast its amazing. I came home last night and my 5 year old step son went running up to Gydas tank and I hear a cry of anguish "mom whats wrong with Gyda" I come running over and there she is in full shed haha. I took a few pics and then got her a bath going. As we were walking to the bath I was rubbing the side of her head and she started leaning into like a kitty haha and then she gaped at me. I told her she better not bite me I'm trying to help and shes the one that pushed into it haha.
87862-5601904429.jpg
87862-1645631874.jpg

I feel like I neglect little Ember when it comes to take pictures but she always seems to be facing away from me whenever I go to take a picture of her and I never have it handy when I have her out haha.
87862-6995120337.jpg

Beardymama33

Juvie Member
PinkArcher":1ob276yb said:
OOOOO... Gloves!! That's a great idea. I don't mind touching them, its the trying to pick them up and hold them while their legs squirm part I just cant deal with. I accidently bought supers when I made my first order for crickets online so they are still just sitting there because they are way to big to feed to them, I never thought of breeding them tho maybe I'll do that.
Well hello Draconis (im assuming male?) what a handsome guy. Love his emoji pillow!!! I promise I wont tell :D
yuh if you look closely you can see that hes obviously male.....i can tell you my set up if you would like i have HUGE amounts of them that keep on coming!

Beardymama33

Juvie Member
PinkArcher":29zjhw0w said:
When I got Ember on 8/13 I decided to chart her growth once a week, which I wish I would have thought of it when I got Gyda but figured its better late than never.
Ember
8/13: 6 1/2in & 14g
8/20: 7 1/4in & 22g
8/27: 8 1/4in & 27g
Gyda
8/13: 7 1/2in & 21g
8/20: 8 3/4in & 34g
8/27: 9in & 39g
They are growing so fast its amazing. I came home last night and my 5 year old step son went running up to Gydas tank and I hear a cry of anguish "mom whats wrong with Gyda" I come running over and there she is in full shed haha. I took a few pics and then got her a bath going. As we were walking to the bath I was rubbing the side of her head and she started leaning into like a kitty haha and then she gaped at me. I told her she better not bite me I'm trying to help and shes the one that pushed into it haha.
87862-5601904429.jpg
87862-1645631874.jpg

I feel like I neglect little Ember when it comes to take pictures but she always seems to be facing away from me whenever I go to take a picture of her and I never have it handy when I have her out haha.
87862-6995120337.jpg
such precious ones! my draconis is actually more red than he lets on but when he does this happens...
86309-1641536067.jpg
no photo shopping or coloring added in!

PinkArcher

Original Poster
Oh yes share any secrets you want with me :lol: can never know too much information.
What beautiful coloring. I can't wait to see what Ember is going to look like. I'm sure with the way they are growing I wont have to wait long. Going into shed has to be my most frustrating time with them they both get so pissy and I'm standing here like "just let me love you" haha.

Beardymama33

Juvie Member
PinkArcher":1orfc1zb said:
Oh yes share any secrets you want with me :lol: can never know too much information.
What beautiful coloring. I can't wait to see what Ember is going to look like. I'm sure with the way they are growing I wont have to wait long. Going into shed has to be my most frustrating time with them they both get so pissy and I'm standing here like "just let me love you" haha.
Just so you know they will mute their colors until they get really happy and comfy. draconis usually mutes to brown with a touch of red but when hes really happy o rrelaxed he goes to that coloring and sometimes reader.
for the warm farm youll want one of these https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-3-Drawer-Wide-Cart-Black/16415880
It can be any of them like it so long as its sturdy. you will also need some windown screen in roll form, a hot glue gun, a good sharp carpenter/razor blade, a marker and a ruler. You cut ou tthe bottom of the top drawer leaving at least an inch or so all around (make sure when you close it that the opening is over the drawer below it. You then cut screen to fit it with the edged over the edge a good 1/2 to 3/4 of an inceh and hot glue it down with no gaps in the glue (you might want to get a pop sickle stock or paint stick to smooth i ta bit to fill the small screen holes on the edge) and viola you have a breeding station, i might take some pics of mine if you like i use the top drawer to house the beetles and their old fruit and vegies (the kind that goes hard when it gets old they lay their eggs in it) and fresh vegies, the baby worm bin is below them and the babies fall into it when they hatch and look for a place to burrow, and the bottom drawer is filled 1/4 to 1/3 of the way with oats (oatmeal that has been frozen and warmed to room temp works best) and what ever fruits and vegies they are eating at the time.

once you get the worms seperate them into cheep dressing cups (most warehouse type stores have them) with holes in the lid and toss the cups in a bin or box in the upright position is a warm dark place and you will get beetles. Since you have two dragons you will want to get at least 600 small worms and 100-200 large supers, toss the large supers in cups (all of them these lil guys will only handle the small ones right now) and you will have beetles within a week or two depending on how things go. when they pupate (turn into the white grub/beetle stage) place them gently in the top drawer to the side and let them mature in there toss foo din (carrots and potatoes are best) when you see the first full beetle. You can keep the small worms in the bottom bin and use dish gloves to get them out (protects the skin from irritation due to some allergies people have had to prolonged exposure also they do bits and though its not too painful its unpleasant), you want to only feed them as an alternate food at this age ie one meal daily or every other day and not as a full time staple, they are great for growing beardies but can be high in fat. In fact, you will want 2 or 3 got tos for bugs for them to eat. Draconis had crickets and supers and i plan on getting a breeding colony of horseshoe crab roaches. :D Please feel free to tell me if you need something clarified and i will be taking those pics tomorrow when its light out, its bette rto take the pics in that room when the sun window is lit.....

Beardymama33

Juvie Member
86309-1758795269.jpg
86309-1700273636.jpg
86309-1647967492.jpg
86309-9442640002.jpg
86309-9537735027.jpg

this is Draconis in shed.....When his tail is shedding or his arms hes like "hold me" when his back and head is shedding hes like "DONT TOUCH ME!!!!!...Unless you have a warm bath and a butt brush (tooth brush) to scrub my itchies..."

PinkArcher

Original Poster
Thanks for all the info on the worms I will definitely have to do that. You were very detailed I think the only question I have at this point is if they need to be kept at a certain temp. I started my roach colony so that will be their staple for protein. I just cant deal with crickets they were too big of a pain between the smell and the hoping I was over them pretty fast. Plus they seem to like the roaches better so its a win win.

Beardymama33

Juvie Member
PinkArcher":3cllfmuf said:
Thanks for all the info on the worms I will definitely have to do that. You were very detailed I think the only question I have at this point is if they need to be kept at a certain temp. I started my roach colony so that will be their staple for protein. I just cant deal with crickets they were too big of a pain between the smell and the hoping I was over them pretty fast. Plus they seem to like the roaches better so its a win win.
To breed and grow right they need to be kept between 75 and 90 degrees, so a sun room is perfect and heater needed in the winter.Just remembe rto get an opaque type drawer tower so they arent in th elight or put a blanket or a sheet ove rit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thuexedulichthailan
Top Bottom