grout: to seal or not to seal

Status
Not open for further replies.

glenCOCO

I just finished grouting my tile and I'm still debating whether or not I should seal the grout. All this stuff is completely new to me so I have a couple questions. Is sealing it necessary? Is it ok if it gets on the tile? Are there sealers that I could just put on both the tile and grout that won't change the texture of the tile? Also, has anyone had any problems with poop or urates staining grout when left unsealed? How would I go about cleaning it if it gets rubbed into the grout?

IMG_9261-1.jpg

I would seal anything porous, especially since when you grout it you won't be able to clean under or between the tiles. Although I'm debating whether to grout at all, because some people like to have loose tiles for easier cleaning. I feel like it may be easier to clean grouted tile just by wiping it up.

rissa

Well, um I actually don't put in any grout at all.. usually I'll just put some papertowel underneath so If his junk is really watery it'lll suck it up and and place tile on top so when he goes poop i can just take the piece of tile out and either scrub off loose debries/soak it in watered down bleach or clean it and bake it in the oven.. i would probobally put a sealer on the grout though so it doesn't get bacteria stuck in there and soak your tank with a 10% bleach/water mixture when you're cleaning the cage up/ rinse it with water untill the fumes are gone. I heard you can also use a natural cleaner on the market like "Helathy habitat Spray" or "Flukers super pray brush cleaner" and then use bleach or some alcohol or acidic based product to sanitize but I havent ever tried those so maby ask someone els about it before you try it

glenCOCO

Original Poster
How exactly would I go about applying the sealer on the grout without it getting on the tile? I can't really use the wheel/ball applicator since I don't have any straight lines and a brush would just be extremely tedious. I've heard of people using mod podge to coat and seal up the whole surface but I don't want the surface to be slick. Are there sealers that work on both tile and grout that don't change the texture?

glenCOCO

Original Poster
Would it be ok to use minwax polycrylic on both the grout and tile? I'm thinking of just brushing a few coats of that on it.

pimmsoclock87

Hatchling Member
Just buy a normal slate tile sealer, once that's applied ive never noticed it to make tiles "slippery" just seals so nothing can stain the tiles etc (BTW one of the jobs i do is tiling)

glenCOCO

Original Poster
I just found some leftover penetrating tile and grout sealer from when we were landscaping the front yard so I'm probably just going to use that. The instructions on the sealer says to let the grout cure for 48 hours but on the grout tub it says it cures within 24 hours. Is it necessary to wait another 24 hours for the sealer to work properly? Sorry, I'm just a very impatient person when it comes to completing projects like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kay.marie
Top Bottom