Grout solution/question

Status
Not open for further replies.

whispersinmyhead

Hatchling Member
Well I made a trip today to the local hardware store to look at tiles. I am almost done the new viv and now it is time for tiles. I already decided I want to grout these in permanently because I am tired of removing and cleaning underneath the tiles I have now. I spoke to a very helpful sales associate who suggested that I use PL premium to adhere the tiles instead of wasting more money on thin-set. The reason is because the PL product will flex a little and resist "popping" up my tiles. Made sense and saved money. Now unfortunately they don't cut tiles :(

Now for the grout he showed me a premixed grout with sealer already in it! This sounds fantastic and costs about the same or a little less than buying everything separately and I don't have to mix everything myself (I am not experienced with flooring at all). I couldn't really find any "non-toxic" sealer just "low VOC". Does anyone have any experience with grouting tiles and what will be safe? I really hope the premixed stuff works out in my favor but I don't want to harm our beardie. Also I am going to use rough ceramic tiles once I find the ones I like. They won't need sealing.

MelissaC

I really need/hope someone answers this question!! I have the same exact one!! Sorry I couldn't help, but I hope moving this thread up catches someones eye!

Melissa C=

whispersinmyhead

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well I think I found the best option finally! With the help of a great neighbor and associates at my local hardware store.

First I bought a tube of PL premium to adhere the tiles to the cage. I bought textured ceramic tiles that don't need to be sealed for easy cleaning and sanitation.

Next I decided to use regular sanded colored tile grout because I found some spray-on water based sealant! I found it at Lowes and it was only $10. I am glad I found the water based sealant because it is the only thing that seems safe.

So the list for the floor
Pl Premium adhesive ($7)
Ceramic Tiles ($30)
Sanded tile grout (about $10-$12)
Water based spray on grout sealer ($10) I found this item at Lowes and didn't see any at my local hardware store or Home Depot (of course I couldn't find any help at the time either)

I hope this helps but please anybody else chime in if you have any other suggestions/advise.

whispersinmyhead

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
BTW the Water-Based Sealer is made by Tile Guard.

It is in a aerosol spray can and it is one that you spray over your grout lines and then wipe off the overspray on the tiles. They say two coats for maximum protection on the can. I will do two coats and then test once it is cured. I may apply a third though. My tiles are glued down as of last night and I am going to grout tomorrow and seal the next day. The sealant says you can seal the same day you grout.

MelissaC

Thank you so so so much for the follow up!! I'm thinking about using the mini tiles, like the ones for backsplashes, for the floor and want to grout them. Maybe when you're done you can post a photo =)

Melissa C=

whispersinmyhead

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I will be posting at Photo log of the whole build including the cabinet. Build logs have helped me so much that I hope mine will also help those with ideas. I will update this thread with a link so you will see the notification. It probably won't be for a few more weeks by the time I get him all set up and write out the log.

I am using loose tile in my current cage and most of the tile used for back splashes are very smooth so make sure you use a textured tile so he/she can get some grip.

I love tile but I am tired of the loose ones because it is just more to clean. I will find it easier to just clean the cage in one shot instead of dragging tiles down to the wash sink. Just my taste. Others really like having loose tiles.

I use large tiles (13"x13") so I could use less grout and less work for installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom