Greetings from Columbia, SC USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

lzzrdboy

Hiya folks! SC here by way of Orlando. In August of 2013 I gave my Daughter (Madison) her first BD for her 10th birthday. Although I have personally cared for reptiles (lizards mainly) for more than 15 years, Madison never really had a little buddy to call her very own. We picked up our little guy, "Friday", on a Saturday and placed him in his new, well-prepared enclosure. Since that day, Maddy has become quite the Mommy to "Friday" and it's obvious they're a perfect match for each other.

33wpftw.jpg

Although I've lurked around this board for many months I only recently found some free time to catch up on my forum memberships. That said, I reckon this will serve as my introduction. Sorry for being so late.

I received my first Green Iguana (Yoda) when I was 19. He was awesome and taught me many things about reptiles and caring for them. I picked up a second Green Iguana (Paco) when I was 22. After enjoying many years together I was forced to hand them over to a couple of friends as my Wife and I were preparing to welcome our first child (Tyler). We simply didn't have the time to care for them in a way they deserved. After having a second baby 3 years later (Madison), toughing it out through 3 back-to-back-to-back hurricanes in 2004, and having my job at Disney outsourced, I packed up the Wife, both kids, loaded the minivan and relocated to Columbia, SC. Upon arriving I immediately began to work on the Wife trying to get her to agree to allow me to adopt a Leopard Gecko. Maryanne finally agreed and "Neo" and I became truly wonderful friends. I later added a second Leo named "Trinity". Today both are treasured members of our family and bring joy to us all. With the addition of "Friday" in August, life is definitely more awesome. Friday is the first reptile I've owned who seems to LOVE being around us as much as possible. He comes when we call him, is extremely friendly, and gets along great with the Leos, as well as the Wife and both dogs.

Although I'm fairly new to the world of Bearded Dragons, I've been designing and building reptile/amphibian enclosures for myself, as well as friends, for a few years now. It all began as an effort to create an enclosure which would look great in addition to serving its purpose. I'm currently working on plans for a larger enclosure for "Friday" and hope to complete the design phase this weekend. I'll be taking photos and video during the build and if there's interest I can certainly post them here at bd.org.

One of my Vivarium Build Walk-throughs (Constructing a Naturalistic Desert Vivarium Reptile Enclosure) can be found at GeckoTime.com for those interested in viewing some of my past work.

Thanks to those of you who took the time to read my intro. I'll see ya' 'round the boards!
XBOX Live GT: LzzrdBoy

10cu6g8.jpg

Peace Out from "Friday Knight"

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Friday is adorable! I'm a personal believer that every kid should have a pet of their own growing up - it teaches them so much.

Beardies and leos are the greatest, aren't they?

lzzrdboy

Original Poster
zandi202":1vyu3fca said:
Friday is adorable! I'm a personal believer that every kid should have a pet of their own growing up - it teaches them so much.

Beardies and leos are the greatest, aren't they?

Thanks zandi202. I also grew up with pets and would have it no other way with my own children. We'll be taking Friday to her class soon to do a little teaching of our own. And yes, Beardies and Leos ROCK!

Aww Friday ahs some beautiful colors!!! And yes havin beardies is a lot like having puppies that never grow up. ;) Also your enclosure building skills are AMAZING. I really wish I could build something like that. Hoping to build an outside enclosure for our two Iguanas this summer!

lzzrdboy

Original Poster
LunarTechAsylum":33pxvn4q said:
Aww Friday ahs some beautiful colors!!! And yes havin beardies is a lot like having puppies that never grow up. ;) Also your enclosure building skills are AMAZING. I really wish I could build something like that. Hoping to build an outside enclosure for our two Iguanas this summer!

Well aw shucks LunarTech. Thanks bunches for the kind words. There's really no skill involved. Just a lot of patience and trial/error. Holler if you ever need assistance as I would be happy to help out, virtually anyway.

Your very welcome!! I really like the pictures of Neo with his face sticking out of his hide. :blob5: And thanks, I may have to take you up on that offer if I get stumped! I'd really like to make a nice wooden beardie enclosure for my guys.

lzzrdboy

Original Poster
LunarTechAsylum":11iu1ml9 said:
Your very welcome!! I really like the pictures of Neo with his face sticking out of his hide. :blob5: And thanks, I may have to take you up on that offer if I get stumped! I'd really like to make a nice wooden beardie enclosure for my guys.

The design I'm starting this weekend will be for a 38"x48"x18" enclosure featuring a cabinet under the enclosure. I use Google SketchUp to create the design and play around with it and would recommend you do the same when you're ready. It really helps when trying to visualize your end goal. I'll be using cabinet grade plywood and will be painting the entire enclosure a soft white to match my Daughter's furniture. As of this moment I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do with the interior of the enclosure. However, my Daughter will more than likely contribute a ton of ideas. I'll start a build walk-through thread when I get things crankin'.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mysticsalten
Top Bottom