Greens

Status
Not open for further replies.
My beardie is about 5 months old now, and he still won't touch his greens. He eats his livefood heartily and even drinks from a spoon or syringe, but I have tried everything to get him to eat his greens, to no avail.

I'm aware that it's not so important for him to be eating his greens at this stage, but shouldn't he at least be eating a little? I'm worried he never will!

I have tried everything. I have tried piling up, putting them around his vivarium, dropping livefood into it, mixing it with fruit, herbs, juice, apple sauce, hand feeding, clipping it too the walls, withholding live food. I have seen him maybe twice, pick at food on the floor, and he had a whole mouthful once, when I, with difficulty, tricked him into eating some with a waxworm, but that's it.

Has anyone got anything else I could try? Should I not be worried until much later?

Thank you!

smeegy

You could try one of the vibrating machines? Makes the food wiggle a little and can make your baby more interested.

Kthomp

My 5 month old beardie won't even look at greens either. I feed him Phoenix worms, so I started putting a shallow layer of finely minced greens in his food bowl. Then I rinse the worms and drop them on the greens while they're still good and wet. My beardie eats the greens that stick to the worms. Not much, but better than nothing. It also serves to rinse the off the stuff the worms are packed in, and because they're wet he gets a little water too.

KatfaceinWonderland

Original Poster
Eugh, that's not good to hear! That's gotten me all worried now. Especially since mine is roughly the same age. I've tried doing that with wax worms (he HATES phoenix/calci worms, they're the only life food he won't touch), to no avail.

LIsaC

im having the issue with mine, she is around the same age as yours as well. Someone told me to hold off on feeding the live food for a day or two, So i did and she ate a little bit of the greens, right after i then gave her live food, u can try that, also make sure to give her a few different types of greens and let them pick what they wanna eat.. mine owns me more then i own her so i didnt stick to holding out i just give her what shes wants and figure she eats better with me then she would in the wild.. but good luck

I did noticed that mine lovessss warm squash, she will eat every bite i i put in front of her, i know its not greens but its better then nothing

unkempt1

Juvie Member
Many types of squash are actually incredibly good for your dragon. Don't think it has to be green leafy stuff for them to get great nutrition from veggies. If that's all he will eat, by god, keep feeding it!

When it comes to picky young dragons, I'm in the same boat. All he wants to eat are crickets and roaches. So what do I do? The veggies I offer to my dragon are the same thing I feed my feeders, so he's getting what I want him to eat regardless. :twisted:

This is also why I don't use maggots (i.e. Phoenix worms) or other feeders you can't gutload with proper nutrition. For those that use crickets, keep offering those veggies, but also make sure you are feeding your crickets just as well as you feed your dragon. He should get at least some benefit from it, since what you are feeding your feeders will be partially transferred to your dragon when he eats them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom