Green poo??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Hello, i was hopeing someone could help,

Gizmo has been on antibiotics for a while now, and on mon got the all clear to stop. She was doing brill, very bright and running around like there was no tomorrow! But last night she was very lathargic and quite dark.

This morning she was very dark and grumpy. She refused food, but she is going through a shed so i thought nothing of it, then i gave her a bath, and she pooed (first time in a few days) and it was very runny, slimy and green!

She has been on butters, but for a while now. I have kept it and we have a vets app for a feacal, but her belly is really swollen, and seems to be full of gas.

I put a lay box in just in case, but she wasnt interested, she just hangs out in the cool end??

It seems such a sudden change from yesterday? Any ideas?

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Any ideas??

She will not stop drinking! i have had to remove the water from her as i thought she might drown!

Pleasae, any help or thoughts?

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Had she been eating while on the meds? If not, maybe her system wasn't ready for so much food.

Antibiotics will mess up her digestive system, even if she's no longer taking it. It also could've dried her up, thus the sudden non-stop drinking.

You might want to ask the vet about the sides effects of the antibiotics and how long it would stay in Gizmo's system, then send her fecal in for a test.

Sorry I wasn't able to offer more.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Initially, what was she being treated for, & what medication was she on? Perhaps she was not on the correct medication for the ailment.
The green runny & slimy stool sounds like flagelletes or amoebas are present. So, when getting another fecal done I would request them to test for those 2 parasites.
If she is drinking alot more than normal then she is dehydrated & as already stated, antibiotics are very harsh on their system & especially their renal system. Did you use an probiotics while she was on the meds?
I would begin getting some pedialyte diluted with water into her to help replace some electrolytes as soon as you can.
Is she still eating?

Tracie

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
:( Well she has a broken foot, but for a while the vet thought it was infected, after 3 weeks of no improvement we did an x-ray, and found there was a tiny hairline fracture. She never went off her food and i made sure she had at least 1 bath a day to keep her hydrated.

I took her to the vet, the feacal was clear, nothing! So he thinks shes picked up a bacterial infection and they are causing excess gas in her system. She has been given a shot of antibiotics and painkillers as she was really tender, and is booked in on tue for bloodworks to be taken. Hopefully something can be done.

I dont want to feed her much as she it like a football with legs and it must be uncomfortable. For now i am offereing greens (she never did eat them, but she seems interested.) I also have some critical care formula, do you think i shold make some up for her?

Her colours were really good last night, but she just is sooo swollen! :(

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Oh and she was on baytril, metacam and an injection, i cant remeber the name!

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Ok, just an update, Gizmo has had a nice poop (oh dear never thought id say that!) A very healthy looking stool, but she is still very large, she has gained 15 grams since the last vets app!!!

I cant feel any eggs, and shes no digging, but could she be gravid? im not sure what the other signs are??

Im going crazy with worry hoping to get some answers!! :( :( :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I think at this point, bloodwork would be a great idea as that would pinpoint any infection that could be going on. An x-ray of her belly to see if she could be carrying infertile eggs would be a good idea too, if you can afford that too.
Where is she swollen, her abdomen?
It is possible that she could have picked up an infection from a broken bone, but was there a break in the skin too? I think it would be more apt that she had a rise in her levels of parasites from stress due to the hairline fracture & that has made her stools bad.
When was her last shot of baytril? Did you give her probiotics while she was on the baytril as that is hard on the body.
Is she still on the Metcam right now for the swelling or inflammation?

Tracie

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
No she wasnt on probiotics, as a microbiologist i know they dont do anything to top up the gut microflora, dispite what big companies tell you lol :D (and the vet agreed, apperntly studies have been done with dogs, where the acidity of the yoghurt help sooth the gut, but that was it.)

She had one shot of antibiotics there, and an inflamatory and painkiller too, but i wasnt told the names. The skin wasnt broken and the stool was all clear.

In fact she has done two very healthy stools today, so im happy about that, and she has eaten really well (5xsupers, 3xbutters, then 3xsupers a few hours later). The vet said to offer her food to keep her hydration levels up.

She started scratching at the floor like she wanted to dig, but wheh she saw me looking, she stopped. I have put a box of sand for her to dig in if she wants, is this ok? The only soil i have is miricle grow infused so is full of chemicals!

Darnt it :x i just wish i knew what was wrong! her colours are back to normal, but she is soooo swollen!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, I do have to disagree with you there, as I have seen probiotics & they definitely do work for them, as the meds are harsh on reptiles' systems. I have seen night & day results when using them. Their appetite goes downhill without them. :D
So her stools are not green now? Is she still swollen or bloated at all? That is good she has had 2 good stools then & is eating well too. I hope she is feeling better today.
Definitely do not use the soil with chemicals, a sand box is better. You can leave it in there for her, no problem at all hopefully if she needs to lay any eggs, she will use it.

Tracie

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
no, the stool isnt green now, she had 2 good sized poo's yesterday, and 1 this morning.

She is still very bloated, anddosnt seem interested in digging??

Oh dear, i guess i will have to wait for the bloods to come back!!

Will keep you all posted

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Let me know when the blood tests come in & I can look over them too.
Good that the stool is not green anymore though. She is still bloated huh?
Poor girl. It sounds like something is definitely off in her little tummy. Make sure & keep her hydrated so her system will stay flushed out really well.
I hope she is feeling better today.

Tracie

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Well she had two more poo's today, but is still not herself, Vets app is in the morning so im not gonna panic until then!

How long do blood tests usually take to come back?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It normally takes 3-5 days on average, for the bloodtests to come back since they had to send them off. Let me know when you get the results in.
I hope she gets to feeling better soon.

Tracie

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Just an update, the vet thought as gizmo was doing much better, not gassy, just large, we are going to moniter it for a few more days.

Her poo is now fine, she is not gassy, but she has gained 30grams in 2 weeks. I have put a lay box in, but she is still warey.

The vet thought she may have retained some feaces because her night time tems were too low (my thermostat broke so i was waking every few hours to put the CHE on for a few mins) Hopefully the normal night time temps and lay preps will get her back to her old self.

Has antone heard of this before?

Buggsy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom