Gout or Arthritis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damieboo

Hatchling Member
I have a rescue bearded dragon that came into my care in March or April. I noticed she sat in a funny way, with both legs splayed out. She walked kind of funny too but had good mobility and was super speedy. Fast forward to today, I noticed she was holding her left hand off the ground like she was in pain. I felt it, and her had is very swollen and hard compared to the other one. Not sure how long it's been that way but she's definitely limping. For the past 3 days she's been black bearding periodically but I thought she was just being moody. Maybe it's from the pain.

is there any way to know if it's gout or arthritis or would I need to get her tested? I have no idea what kind of care she was being given before I got her and I don't know how old she is. She looks fine, good muscle definition, not skinny, so I assume her previous owners at least had UVB on her.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....can you post some pics ? Then you might p.m Tracie [ Drache] , she may be able to give you a better idea. You still may need to have it tested, but you can offer her cherry juice extract which would be helpful for either condition.

Damieboo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I couldn't get a picture of the foot compared to another because she pulls away from me when I touch it. The wrist and forearm looks a little bigger than the other leg today too.

11049114_10154342588794572_4888744630502200628_n.jpg

11707597_10154342588749572_6279192654060944585_n.jpg

She's still eating but I don't know what it is. :/ I know she likes to sit by our patio window and sometimes my husband comes home before I can move her, he might have caught her hand in the door by accident without knowing? Seems weird that it was fine one day and the next it's swollen and hard.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hmmmm...it doesn't look too bad but if she's favoring it she might have hurt it some way like you said. See if it improves in the next few days or week or so.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It sounds like she may have hurt it, as that would most likely cause a marked swelling that quickly. Since she is favoring it, I would be sure that her basking area isn't too high to where she has to climb too much so she doesn't hurt it further.
If the swelling doesn't recede in the next few days to a week, you could get an x-ray on her to see if there is any injury involved.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom