Gout in 3 month old bearded dragon

MomofHollie12

Beardie name(s)
Hollie Noel
My vet confirmed gout in sample of effected joint. She suggested Allopurinol and Tramadol for treatment including bug reduction and increase fluid intake and baths 2xs a day. I first want to ask why the baths? Since they don't absorb water thru the skin or coccula(sp). Is it to help the joints feel better? I'm also wanting to know about side effects from the 2 drugs they are having me treat her with, if any. I have read people giving tart cherry juice and wondering how effective this is and what is it supposed to help with? How much should be given and can it be given in conjunction with meds already discussed?
We were unable to do blood work because she's so tiny(28g) at the time of appointment last Tues. and the vet didn't feel they could get enough blood. As of today 2/4 she is up to 33g. I am feeding her critical care (.7ml/day) plus 1 bug a day and I've been giving a hornworm to help with fluids.
I would like your input and suggestions please.
Thank you Denise

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My vet confirmed gout in sample of effected joint. She suggested Allopurinol and Tramadol for treatment including bug reduction and increase fluid intake and baths 2xs a day. I first want to ask why the baths? Since they don't absorb water thru the skin or coccula(sp). Is it to help the joints feel better? I'm also wanting to know about side effects from the 2 drugs they are having me treat her with, if any. I have read people giving tart cherry juice and wondering how effective this is and what is it supposed to help with? How much should be given and can it be given in conjunction with meds already discussed?
We were unable to do blood work because she's so tiny(28g) at the time of appointment last Tues. and the vet didn't feel they could get enough blood. As of today 2/4 she is up to 33g. I am feeding her critical care (.7ml/day) plus 1 bug a day and I've been giving a hornworm to help with fluids.
I would like your input and suggestions please.
Thank you Denise
Usually a blood sample is taken for a level of uric acid in the blood- does your dragon have swollen limbs? Can you please post a pic of the dragon --- hes pretty young to have gout---- the dragon is not eating on her own at all? Please go over the surface basking temps and how your taking them --- NO stick ons they are inaccurate-- UVB extremely important ----- NO coils please ---

MomofHollie12

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Hollie Noel
She was being treated for coccidia and 1/2 way thru treatment she quit eating her greens but still ate her roaches. I was having issues with humidity levels on warm side (10%) but I have since fixed that my adding a water bowl to that side. Basking is 105-110 warm is 80-85 and cool side is 70-77. I use digital thermometers in enclosure and use a temp gun also. Uvb is repisun 10.0 mounted on top of enclosure.

MomofHollie12

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Hollie Noel
This morning

Attachments

• 17070618757433083340808722655272.jpg
    17070618757433083340808722655272.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 18

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
She was being treated for coccidia and 1/2 way thru treatment she quit eating her greens but still ate her roaches. I was having issues with humidity levels on warm side (10%) but I have since fixed that my adding a water bowl to that side. Basking is 105-110 warm is 80-85 and cool side is 70-77. I use digital thermometers in enclosure and use a temp gun also. Uvb is repisun 10.0 mounted on top of enclosure.
The UVB is a long tube correct? For a fine screen mesh it needs to be inside the tank - directly above the basking decor piece 12-15 inches --the humidity is being taken w/ a digital probe hygrometer? Stick ons are inaccurate and the probe needs to be placed on the back center wall of the tank - the digital temp thermometers have probes? If not your only getting ambient temps- a probe would need to sit on the spot where he sits for basking - it doesnt need to stay there just long enough to get the temp - IR guns are good but can be off w/ certain decor materials they are made out of -- like hammocks and slate can make them off -- they are good for spot checking but the probe is the most accurate --- the humidity should be 20% or above and not over 70% - the meds can make them not eat --- usually the whole foot or leg can be swollen that looks strange for gout---- I am going to have some other people look at the pic and see what they think - is the leg sore to touch it?
@AHBD
@Drache613

MomofHollie12

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Hollie Noel
The UVB is a long tube correct? For a fine screen mesh it needs to be inside the tank - directly above the basking decor piece 12-15 inches --the humidity is being taken w/ a digital probe hygrometer? Stick ons are inaccurate and the probe needs to be placed on the back center wall of the tank - the digital temp thermometers have probes? If not your only getting ambient temps- a probe would need to sit on the spot where he sits for basking - it doesnt need to stay there just long enough to get the temp - IR guns are good but can be off w/ certain decor materials they are made out of -- like hammocks and slate can make them off -- they are good for spot checking but the probe is the most accurate --- the humidity should be 20% or above and not over 70% - the meds can make them not eat --- usually the whole foot or leg can be swollen that looks strange for gout---- I am going to have some other people look at the pic and see what they think - is the leg sore to touch it?
@AHBD
@Drache613

MomofHollie12

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Hollie Noel
Basking is done with probe, yes long tubular uvb and basking is 12 in away. Yes her leg is sensitive to touch. My vet also did x-rays and pulled fluid from the lump and said their was crystals in it when they checked. I think the blood work was to check her kidneys and that's when she said she didn't feel she could get enough about of blood to check because of her size.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Basking is done with probe, yes long tubular uvb and basking is 12 in away. Yes her leg is sensitive to touch. My vet also did x-rays and pulled fluid from the lump and said their was crystals in it when they checked. I think the blood work was to check her kidneys and that's when she said she didn't feel she could get enough about of blood to check because of her size.
Ok sounds good ----- please feed BSFL www.symtonbsf.com --
Amazon.com
I am not sure about dusting them w/ calcium D3 since they are high in calcium we need Tracie to advise on this one--- dubias are not a good staple since they contain uric acid levels something w/ them retaining it and passing it on to the dragon -- so we always advise not to feed those but BSFL and silk worms --- the BSFL are a great staple for babies anyway but are so small they need to be in large amounts- I would go w/ the large larvae -- silk worms can be ordered from here www.reptilianarts.com -- if the dragon really likes the BSFL he will gobble them up fast so I would feed in smaller amounts at a time - like 20 or so and put them on top of his salads -- he should be eating 2-3 times per day at this age -- his main diet is protein at this time so w/ him having gout so young it is sad --- Tracie can advise on the tart cherry juice as well ---
@Drache613

MomofHollie12

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Hollie Noel
Ok sounds good ----- please feed BSFL www.symtonbsf.com --
Amazon.com
I am not sure about dusting them w/ calcium D3 since they are high in calcium we need Tracie to advise on this one--- dubias are not a good staple since they contain uric acid levels something w/ them retaining it and passing it on to the dragon -- so we always advise not to feed those but BSFL and silk worms --- the BSFL are a great staple for babies anyway but are so small they need to be in large amounts- I would go w/ the large larvae -- silk worms can be ordered from here www.reptilianarts.com -- if the dragon really likes the BSFL he will gobble them up fast so I would feed in smaller amounts at a time - like 20 or so and put them on top of his salads -- he should be eating 2-3 times per day at this age -- his main diet is protein at this time so w/ him having gout so young it is sad --- Tracie can advise on the tart cherry juice as well ---
@Drache613
I'm looking into the silk worms, about how many a day should I feed her? I'm just curious so I know how many to order.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom