Gotta quick, important light fixture question

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfysluv

Hatchling Member
So I'm done cheating and want to mount my uvb in the cage, not sitting on the screen. Ugh. That zoomed fixture with reflector and all to hold my 18 inch 10.0 was NOT cheap. But, I dont see anyway I can put it in the cage. Its kinda thick. Nothing I can hang it with. Soooo, unless someone has already done this and can advise thats out the window.

I need to know EXACTLY what light fixture to buy at walmart or somewhere else for my zoomed 18 inch bulb that I can hang IN the cage. I've read that sometimes the cheaper fixtures somehow, I dont know, power the bulb consistantly? I'm sure anything is better than on the screen though right? I need the fixture to be as thin as possible cause Heli is massive and this is a 40 gallon breeder tank. I dont want him to be just inches from this light ya know? I need to know exactly what hooks/holders to use please. EXACTLY. (maybe pictures of this stuff). And also, from the pics of example enclosures here, I cant tell if they have that uvb fixture on its side or something mounted so its facing down. Help help? I wanna go shopping and be done with this once and for all. Its just when I look at the lighting posts .. I get a little confused and need to see and have exact examples written on how to do this.

wolfysluv

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Update. My son rigged the zoomed so its under the screen. And lo and behold that hood isn't too tall after all! So now they are working on a more secure way to hang it on the screen with supports and all. Still. If anyone has another way of doing their uvb strip light diff I'd like to hear it in case I dont like how this goes.

I'm having trouble meeting my temps too by the way. a 100 watt house light bulb will only get it just above 100 if I have a log up high and Heli is inches from it. So, I went out to get a halogen light instead. This was says its 75 watts but only uses 60 (whatever that means ... trying to get normal lights is getting harder and harder and harder). I'm prying it gets a big warmer so I can lower the stupid basking spot. And on my knees praying its not too hot all together becaues the dang thing was 11 dollars and the way it was packaged? I can't bring it back. I think its a sylvania, I'd have to get the box and read it in detail. I didn't know what to get. I've seen everything from 30 something watt hallogen all the way towards 100. The zoomed basking flood light looking bulbs are a pain. The 50 is useless. If forget whats wrong with the hundred. Probably too warm. And of course the 150 is scalding. There is no 60 or 75 so its like an all or nothing deal. What kind of basking halogens do you guys use to keep your spot at 101- 105? And how many inches from your lizards head would the light be when hes under it?

Kthomp

I bought the Zilla Combo light and found out quickly it was a wrong move. I've got a Reptisun 10 on its way, but today the basking bulb went out on the combo and I've only had the darn thing for a week! :banghead:

I rigged a clamp-on lamp with a clear 75W Halogen bulb that replaces a 100W. They came in a two pack for around $7. So far, the temps are good (highest basking spot is around 105). Lincoln prefers a lower basking spot most of the time. Good news is that the Halogen is supposed to have a life of 1000 hours :blob5:

Kthomp

Oh, in the interest of full disclosure to my previous post, I'm a complete newbie and this is my first beardie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hitclubhomes1
Top Bottom