Goofy beardies! (mental health question)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey

Juvie Member
So I have one male and one female, they are in separate enclosures and I have no intention of breeding.
Previously the tanks were side by side and I had a blankie in between so they couldn't see one another.

Now after I moved the tanks are a bit apart and I thought they were set up so they couldn't see each other, apparently they can. However, it don't seem to be all bad.. Monty's appetite has increased since he could see Herculette and he is up a whopping 60 g since he started courting her. He has always had bad appetite with previous owner and even since he came to me, he increased some in size but not much, now he starts to look normal with a little pudgy tummy. Him and Herculette dances in their tanks but no stress marks.. They eat and drink fine, behave fine, except running around like little mad men. However, the other day I covered his tank cause (just the corner so he couldnt see her, not the whole tank) I took a nap and he decided to fire up his head bopping and scratch to get out of the cage. So he couldn't see Herculette anymore, when I woke up he was all black and angry... (he is a leucistic I think its called) he didn't go happy until he could see Herculette again.

From what I have heard beardies seeing each other is a lot of stress and not good for them, is that individually based or should I just cover his one end and stop them from "talking"?

brittani299

Extreme Poster
Mine hate being able to see each other. I now have a double stack and it is great because they cant see each other at all.

Monkey

Juvie Member
Original Poster
LOL yeah no I know he thinks she's pretty, he is making that clear.

They don't seem to have issues with seeing each other, they eat, drink, play nice and are colored up and happy doing their dance.

What I am worried about is that it may add extra stress and not be healthy for them in the long run. The male is eating like a horse in comparison to how he used to eat so I am sort of happy that he is so encouraged. But if it is too much stress in the long run then Ill cover his tank.

Esp since I have no intentions of ever breeding them..

Brandonforty2

Juvie Member
He seemed to get mad and stressed without seeing her so I say don't cover. Just don't put them together. If the girl is freaking and stressed then you may worry but it doesn't sound like that is happening. It is spring. Buster is trying to get to Dave by head bobbing his way through the glass while Dave doesn't seem to care.

Monkey

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yeah whenever I block his view he goes mad... She couldn't care less, she is a very well socialized beardie, not much has ever stressed her out. She's awesome like that... She usually tries to get to him.. It MAY change with season and then Ill cover them...

But fo rnow with his weight gain I am so thrilled over it it aint even funny!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom