Good weight/size for 8 month old?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KDK241

Hatchling Member
Emerson is around 8 months old and he is 14" long and weighs 165g. Is this a good weight and size? He currently eats a little bit of salad in the morning, then between 12-18 dubias (1/2"-3/4" size) and then he eats another 3-5 dubias in the evening. Should I keep feeding him at night until he just stops taking them?

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
I know that all dragons are different, and grow at different rates. My girl Puff, at 9 months was 19 inches and 507g. Now she is a big girl..she was 1 year old in July and now she is 19 1/2 inches and 685g. My boy who I have only had for a month, but he is also 1 year old, he is 20 inches and 570g. He was only 479g when I got him so he is putting some weight on.

Burra

Hatchling Member
I got 1 of my beardies, Socrates, at 9 months, and he was 16 inches long. I don't know what he weighed, but he looked good in proportion to his size. Some beardies are bigger than others, and some grow faster. As long as he appears healthy and is eating good for you, I wouldn't worry.

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
Our beardie is 6 months old, 16" long, 215g. He's put on 40g in the past 2 weeks! They go through spurts.

KDK241

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I know that they are all different but I worry :) He eats like a piggy and doesn't look too skinny to me. I've only had him a few weeks so I'll just keep weighing him and making sure he is growing!

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
As far as feeders go, you should be feeding him as much as he'll eat in a 10-15 minute period two times a day, since he's still under a year old. He'll gradually start eating less and less once he's full grown.

My Bert is coming up on 9 months old and weighed in at 351 grams yesterday. I couldn't get a good length measurement because he's so squirmy and he always tries to attack the end of the measuring tape, but the last time I got a measurement on him was about 3 weeks ago and he was 17.5 inches.

KDK241

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I always feed him as much as he can eat in that time period but at night its usually only 4-5 dubias before he's done and won't eat anymore. I'm not 100% sure on his age, that's what the previous owner's best guess was. Today he only ate 1 roach which he's never done before. He's been awake but basking all day and didn't touch his salad. He is shedding so I'm hoping that's the reason why. He's pooped twice so everything is working, lol.

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
Shedding could definitely cause him enough stress to where he won't want to eat. It's terribly uncomfortable and all of my beardies have stopped eating or cut back on how much they are during certain stages of shed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom