Good Thing Petsmart/Petco Told You

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandonforty2

Juvie Member
I am wondering if anyone has gotten good advise from a big chain pet store like Petsmart or Petco has told you. It could be in an info sheet that they gave you or something an employee told you.

An employee gave me good advise once. She looked like someone who liked reptiles. I don't think she works there anymore but she's the person who sold me my beardies. She said to give them crickets and veggies along with pellet food. She said to keep the pellet food in the tank at all times. I did that and if my beardies are hungry, they have something to munch on.

Lenewen

Juvie Member
Brandonforty- Nope, never got a good person like that. In fact, our area is fortunate enough to have 3 exotic vets around and 2 of them are terrible and know little to nothing about reptiles. You must have found the one in a million store employee, maybe she has raised them before :)

Spoony

Sub-Adult Member
Unfortunately no, I've had several people tell me to feed large crickets to baby beardies, that mealworms are a good staple, and to keep water in the viv. They've also said dried veggies are good too.

All is no bueno info.

I had a VERY good experience at a PetSmart. It is in Wilmington, North Carolina. The guy that helped us (Andrew) was actually from Australia and knew a lot of good information about beardies. He stood with us and answered all our questions. All the information he gave us matched up to our previous research and all the research we've done since.

I highly recommend this store if you are buying a beardie. The tanks were very clean and all the babies looked healthy and lively. We're getting ours from that store on Saturday. We were skeptical about using a pet store for buying a baby, but after going there and seeing how well they are taken care of, we're sure we are making a good decision.

brittani299

Extreme Poster
My petsmart told me that starter tank was a rip off and that it was only good because it was cheap. It was on sale for $50 when I first got daisy. They also told me that sand was bad for them. But another time a different employee told me to only feed mealworms. It really depends on who is working and what they know.

Spoony

Sub-Adult Member
brittani299":hf1332do said:
My petsmart told me that starter tank was a rip off and that it was only good because it was cheap. It was on sale for $50 when I first got daisy. They also told me that sand was bad for them. But another time a different employee told me to only feed mealworms. It really depends on who is working and what they know.

I was actually told the starter kits were perfect for them, sand included. So yes, it really depends on who you talk to. The PetSmarts in my area unforutnately do not know how to properly care for their beardies, and I'm too reserved to raise a stink about it. When I went in yesterday, there was beardie babies of varying sizes, all dark and covered in stress marks. It was so sad.

Librarylady

Hatchling Member
There is one employee at our pet smart who knows what she's talking about. She sent me here and asks about Norbert every time I'm in petsmart :)

Brandonforty2

Juvie Member
Original Poster
It does all depend on the employee. You have the ones in it for the money and the ones in it for the animals. There are sadly too many money people.

Melody12

Hatchling Member
I've been to one Petsmart once in Chattanooga and they were pretty nice and clean. I once got in when they were closing and I ran out of crickets. They let me in and buy some crickets for Melody to eat and they weren't mean or anything. There animals looked good but I wouldn't buy anything else. One of the associates did try to tell me that the large crickets are bad for them and that I should be getting small ones instead for bearded dragons. I told him that I don't have a baby bearded dragon. I told him she's old enough to get sub-adult to adult crickets. They were real hesitant about giving me what I needed.

However, there are other associates who are really nice in other areas. It depends on how well the associate is trained and are aware of every animals' needs. No two species is the same!

zandi202

BD.org Addict
My Petco told me not to hand feed my babies all the time so that they don't becoming nippy and lazy.

htidavid

Juvie Member
A petco employee told me to put a heat mat on the side wall of my viv to use as a heat source at night... I never did.. just thought it was an interesting idea lol.. even though they had CHE right in front us where we were talking :lol:

zandi202

BD.org Addict
I actually used the heat pad on the side thing for the epileptic beardie I had and it worked well. It was right next to where he slept. I don't use it any more since neither of my babies are as fragile as he was. Another employee also suggested getting styrofoam board and wrapping it around 3/4 walls to trap in heat better.

GeckoCandy

Well... today I was told ALL aquariums made for fish use should not be used for reptiles, because the heat lamps will melt the silicone sealing. I did specifically ask if she meant a single brand or all aquariums, and she said all of them :shock: I've never had silicone even warping because of a heat lamp... Perhaps she had a monitor in her aquarium (they need it super hot)? She said it was a personal experience that happened to her.

I will say though that my other local chain pet store (the above was a different chain) is good about their animals. The tell you how to let your aquarium go through the nitrogen cycle before putting in any fish, use prime every water change, don't feed lettuce/cabbage to beardies, lots of stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom