Good Terrarium Place in Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

Sorry for the digressive story but here goes...

When My Wife first revealed to me that she wanted to buy me a Bearded Dragon for Our 5th Anniversary I thought it was rather absurd as a gift for such an occasion.... :shock: I find myself contemplating the time it would require to take care of such a companion pet versus the benefits and I really find myself wanting one more and more each day... :p I don't have any problems taking care of one and the bug thing doesn't bother me at all. I have owned up to eight hedgehogs and they ate meal worms like crazy. I know this is waaaay of topic but it's rather relevant. My Daughter Lillyanna would really benefit from having a Bearded Dragon in the house because she could learn to eventually want to have one of her own and it's very stimulating for her. Also I work nights from 8 p.m. to 6 in the morning so he/she would be up hopefully when I get home in the morning. I don't sleep until 12:30 p.m. so I have the entire morning to socialize and My Wife is more than happy to fill in when I'm not there.

Now getting to the main reason I started this new topic. I really want this new companion pet to be very comfortable, and getting the biggest tank possible without actually needing to move into a three bedroom apartment isn't a problem. I know that getting a small tank at the beginning really isn't an option since I'm only going to have to get another one in a few months. Perhaps a small one for feedings might be appropriate since I have been reading that no one likes to have to go hunting for feeders if your beardie doesn't go after them. I don't want to risk the little one getting bitten in the night since they will be asleep.

And finally My Question of the day......Are there any really good places in Toronto where I can get a really big tank at a good price. I'll even travel to get it. I have highway access everywhere mostly because I live in the centre of the universe... :D I'm thinking a nice little 10 gallon deal for feedings and a nice 40-55 unit for the main domicile, perhaps even closer to 60 gal. I plan on looking at places and perhaps getting some contacts established for when we pick the little one up. I just wanted to see if any of the Canadian members of this forum could make any suggestions. I know that shipping a tank isn't an option....waaaay to costly so this is the only option for now.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Jones

Ronzie

Hatchling Member
I got a good deal at Big Al's. Every once in awhile they have the viv below on sale for $149. Regularly they're $199. It measures 40" L x 18" W x 19" H.
They have locations around Toronto. The Oakville, Mississauga, Scarborough, Hamilton, Kitchener, and Brampton locations have reptiles & supplies.

91114kf_20.jpg

Soon I'm turning an old long dresser into a home for my dragon. A corn snake will be going in the terrarium.

beardyjones37

Original Poster
Very Nice,

Yeah I've heard of Big Al's and I have checked the site...not too much in the line of repltile products. Good tanks although for size I'm not too sure they'll fit what I'm looking for. I think I might need an actualy specialty store. There are items there that are of interest though. I will check the store out. Corn Snake...Sweet..

Thanks

vanruyven

if you can get the glass, building a tank is fairly easy, and considerably cheaper. just a tube of silicone, and some masking tape.

beardyjones37

Original Poster
Hmmm...the homemade route might be a good idea. What is typically used for a base? It might be something to consider doing if there aren't enough options out there. I would really like that as something to do but the thing with that is I wouldn't get the option to have a front sliding door for easy access. Other than that it sounds pretty good. Are there kits available?

Thanks,

Jones

AprilMayJune

Hatchling Member
Building a home made enclosure may be your best option. For plans/directions check this site out.

http://www.freewebs.com/crossfireenclosures/

You can make it with sliding front doors. Many members here have made their enclosures with the same plans and have turned out well and have happy dragons living in them.

We have made a similar but very different home made enclosure. Ours is a triple decker built similar to these plans but have 3 homes for 3 different Beardies. Instead of using glass sliding doors we chose to use screened doors with hinges that open at the side. It gets quite warm here (we are in Hamilton) and the screen allows for better air circulation. They do not get too cold in the winter either for our Beardies. We are starting to build a double enclosure soon for 2 more of our dragons.

You can check in the DIY section and the Enclosure section for ideas and possible tips. I wish you luck!

beardyjones37

Original Poster
Very Nice. Thanks for the Link. Hamilton eh! My Wife is from there..well she was born there anyway at McMaster. She was just asking me where you went to school. I'm in Toronto which is of course east of you....go Argos... :D Anyhow I will check the link out. Yeah we are in the middle of the same heatwave you are I think. It's up and down with the temps. Are you on the mountain? I love the Lime Ridge Mall. My Wife loste her car there once. Turned out she just misplaced it in the lot...even filed a missing vehicle report with the police...funny stuff at our wedding reception.

beardyjones37

Original Poster
With regards to the wood being used for the enclosure. I'm not too fond of the melamine. Sometimes it tends to bubble up if there's any sort of intense moisture involved and it's just glue and sawdust really when you cut it open. I might be more partial to a sealed natural wood type. Even Plywood might be better which of course increases the price of the build but it might result in a better product down the road.

AprilMayJune

Hatchling Member
We didn't use melamine. My brother works for a company that makes things with melamine and he just got us the wood they use... the compressed wood stuff that they stick the shiney stuff to (to make it melamine) so the cost was barely anything for the outer shell. He's in the process of cutting us out more pieces to so we can build two double enclosures for out newest dragons. He's taking his time (month so far) but it saves me money.

Yes, we're in the mountain area and Limeridge Mall can get a bit confusing. I'm not originally from here but my b/f is and he knows that mall like the back of his hand. He's a mountain boy through and through.

We would love to see pics if you do decide to make one of your own. Good luck.

beardyjones37

Original Poster
Very Nice..well if you can save the money then why not. I really lke Hamilton for certain things...Filthy's is one good reason and Ancaster just off the linc...they have a nice selection of places to shop plus a pretty decent theatre. I will supply pics of the build whenever it get's done.

beardyjones37

Original Poster
I can see myself possibly getting a nice 40 gal. unit for now and then My Wife, daughter and I may be moving to Brantford if we buy her Gramma's house and then I can use my multitude of power tools to fashion an awesome custom built unit. I'm thinking something about 8 feet long X 3 feet deep X 3 feet high. Should be like the beardy version of a 5000 sq. foot mansion enough ofr a custom made hot tub, pool and rumpus room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anastasiacolson
Top Bottom