Good substrate for dig box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadMeeper

Hello! I have two beardies currently, each in their own enclosures. Sandi, my big gal, is about 13-14 currently and Tiger, my little runt boy, is about 12-13! I've had these guys since I was a kiddo, and as a result of just what was standard keeping back then, they lived on sand for about 12 years. Thankfully they didn't develop any nasty side effects from it because I was very careful, but they live on tiles now. I did notice, though, that they miss digging!!

So the question is, what's some good, safe substrate to give these guys that they can dig in? Preferably I don't want something that smells, they live in my room and Tiger is housed on my desk.

I do not breed them and I have no plans to! I'm just trying to find new enrichment methods that don't require me to be home since I'm a full time student and am away from home a lot. It's the summer though which means I have the time to do enclosure modification!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I like to put down scraps of fleece over part of the tile. It's easy to clean and allows for some digging/burrowing. If you want a more traditional, separate dig box then most folks use a combination of moist play sand and organic topsoil because it will hold a tunnel structure. It gets pretty messy though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoonBug
Top Bottom