Good dog food for dubias?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charmander16

Juvie Member
Does anyone have a dog food they recommend for dubias? I've read that ideally their food should not contain animal protein, so I was looking for a dog food WITHOUT animal protein.

As far as I can see from initial research, this is hard to find mostly because most dog foods market toward how much animal protein they have, their aren't really brands touting their lack of animal protein. I have seen some high-end, expensive "vegetarian" dog foods, but I don't want that. I know there are cheap brands that are mostly soy / grain protein, but again, for dogs this is a bad thing, so it's not really marketed.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What are you feeding your roaches now? I feed mine almost completely on veges and the colony is thriving. Sometimes I throw in some grain feed and they enjoy that but it's mostly veges.

charmander16

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Also mostly vegies, dragon salad leftovers and various table scraps. But I've read its god to have a staple dry food for them. I've seen various roach chows for sale, but don't really want to order anything. If nothing else I'll just go to Wal-Mart store and read the labels to look for dog foods that are mostly soy/corn/wheat protein, but was just curious if anyone already knew of a good option.

It makes sense that the roaches would get more protein from this than just the veggies they are getting now and also sounds like less work to maintain.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Roaches are good at extracting protein from poor sources. Chicken laying mash is a good dry feed, tractor supply sells it.

I don't feed dry food, just fruits and veggies.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Chicken layer mash has too much calcium in it. It's not healthy for the roaches.
You can buy 50 lb bags of wheat bran, oats, & alfalfa for really cheap at farm and feed stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thuexedulichthailan
Top Bottom