going with dubias. need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

phrozen87

So i finally decided to go with some dubia roaches after a long debate and i need help with how to start a colony. My cash is limited right now, just around $60, so i need a cheap good way to get one started fast. I went to the roach ranch and was thinking about getting 200 large for $56. Would this be a good way to go or should i go with a mix of sizes or use a different website? Any help with this would be great because I have no idea where to even start with roaches. Thanks

glenCOCO

Did you check craigslist for any locals that could cut you a deal? I was about to go the same route you did but I lucked out and found a local that sold me 200 large nymphs with a couple adult males and females for $20.

clear

Sub-Adult Member
Well simply, the more you start with the faster your start producing your own feeders. Check around in different classifieds, and email all the breeders and chat with them.

diggerdrake

Juvie Member
to begin feeding dubia right off you will need as many as possible of the right size. to ensure a limitless supply of feeders you will want to have as many adult females as you can get. keeping a ratio of somewhere 3:1 up to 10:1 female:male optimal being about 5:1. definately check Craig's List for someone looking to reduce their colonies at a greater reduces initial investment. I ran across a guy getting rid of his dubia as his beardie was spoiled on supers and didnt want dubia any more. He had an explosion of babies about 4 months ago and they are all grown up now. Luckly the first explosion is now producing babies too. Initially I got about 1500-2000 adults and I am sure that there were as many as 1000 babies. All at the low low price of $100 tub included. Craigs List and your local bug club may provide what you need to get started. If you are definately going with roaches another alternative could be turks. They are prolific breeders and the initial cost is way lower than dubia. The only drawback is that they are quick. They have a tendency to run and hide. Feeding in a separate tub/bin your beardie can grub down as many and all you have to do is put the leftovers back with the colony.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom