Going to the Vet - Need Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

jemiluc

Hi, I'm taking Gavin to the vet on Saturday and I need some advice. He's been seeing reptiles and such for almost 20 years, so I'm happy about that. Aside from general care and nutrition, what kind of questions should I ask the vet? And how should I transport Gavin? I have a small critter keeper - plastic with a snap locking lid, would that be okay? Please let me know your opinions. Thanks!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Is there any reason you are taking Gavin to the vet or is it just for a wellness check?

-Brandon

ash0587

Hatchling Member
as far as transporting I always used to take my leo in a small critter keeper with a towel in the bottom so he wouldn't slide all over, and that always worked fine. I'm taking yoshi to the vet in a few hours and have to take her in her tupperware she came in cuz we don't have the keeper anymore and she's still too small to go in the small cat carrier we got for her.
does your vet have a reptile history form to fill out? if not go to the link below and fill it out, or just use it as a guide when talking to your vet so that as you go through the list you may come up with questions or things to talk about
http://www.birdexoticpetvets.com/downloads/BEPWC_Reptile_History_Form.pdf
Good luck!

jemiluc

Original Poster
well, I'm taking him for a couple of reasons -
1. he has this spot on his back where it looks like he was going to shed, but now there's missing scales and a bump
2. he hasn't grown much length wise since we brought him home - he's 18-19 grams, but barely 7 inches long. Not sure if it's something I'm doing wrong or if he's just going to be a short type beardie
3. also for a wellness check up - since this Dr. is supposed to be one of the best ones in town
Oh, they did ask me to arrive about 10-15 minutes early to fill out paperwork, so maybe that's the reptile history form you're talking about.
I was thinking the critter keeper with his blankie - it's going to be warm out, so maybe I'll let him bask a little on the car ride there :D

And yes, I'm getting a fecal test done too.

suzjohnson

Sub-Adult Member
ash0587":nujfpx9c said:
as far as transporting I always used to take my leo in a small critter keeper with a towel in the bottom so he wouldn't slide all over, and that always worked fine. I'm taking yoshi to the vet in a few hours and have to take her in her tupperware she came in cuz we don't have the keeper anymore and she's still too small to go in the small cat carrier we got for her.
does your vet have a reptile history form to fill out? if not go to the link below and fill it out, or just use it as a guide when talking to your vet so that as you go through the list you may come up with questions or things to talk about
http://www.birdexoticpetvets.com/downloads/BEPWC_Reptile_History_Form.pdf
Good luck!

That form is super! Thanks for posting the link.

Suzanne

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Just make sure you ask about all your concerns and it should take care of anything. Usually vets have a list of what they are looking for during wellness checkups.

-Brandon

suzjohnson

Sub-Adult Member
jemiluc":3qnqqgie said:
well, I'm taking him for a couple of reasons -
1. he has this spot on his back where it looks like he was going to shed, but now there's missing scales and a bump
2. he hasn't grown much length wise since we brought him home - he's 18-19 grams, but barely 7 inches long. Not sure if it's something I'm doing wrong or if he's just going to be a short type beardie
3. also for a wellness check up - since this Dr. is supposed to be one of the best ones in town
Oh, they did ask me to arrive about 10-15 minutes early to fill out paperwork, so maybe that's the reptile history form you're talking about.
I was thinking the critter keeper with his blankie - it's going to be warm out, so maybe I'll let him bask a little on the car ride there :D

And yes, I'm getting a fecal test done too.

Hoping everything turns out fine with Gavin! Will be waiting to hear from you :)

Suzanne

jemiluc

Original Poster
thanks for the well wishes! i'm going to take a copy of that form with me too.
how long does it usually take to get fecal results?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They should be able to get it done immediately. All they do is put the poop on a slide and look at it with a microscope.

-Brandon

jemiluc

Original Poster
Everything went really well at the vet on Saturday. Gavin is just going to be a "smaller" beardie. Vet said the spot on his back is retained shed and that I should leave him in the bath a little longer then what I've been doing. He hates baths, so it's usually like a 5 minute soak - so now we are going for a 10 minute soak :D

And..... His fecal came back negative for parasites!!!!! :blob5: :blob5: :blob5: Woohoo!!! Funny thing is he usually goes poo in the afternoon, but I woke up that morning to a little surprise. The Vet said he'd like to see him gain a few grams over the next few weeks though - he was only 16 grams at the visit. He eats reptiworms and dusted crickets everyday. I also bought some liquid vitamins over the weekend, so I'll be sure to start him on that too! All in all, it was a pretty good visit. Except the Vet has never heard of reptiworms, said he's going to have to do some research on them.
Weird :?: :?: :?:

Well, I just thought you'd all like to know what happened. Thanks for all the advice and well wishes!
Gavin says Thanks too with a big arm wave :blob8:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivannam17
Top Bottom