Going on vacation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I'm new to the reptile world. My sons allergic to animals with fur so we bought a baby beardie in January. We think she a girl so we named her Amethyst. ( probably end up being a boy :shock: .
Anyway, we are going on vacation for a week and I have no idea what to do with her. She has to be fed 2x a day and cleaned up after if ya know what I mean. Any ideas? None of my friends would touch crickets let alone beardie poop. My son is homeschooled and his friends don't live near by. Is there such a thing as a beardie boarding place? We live in Northern Mass on the New Hampshire line if anyone knows of a place like this. Oh, one more question. Won't Amethyst be really upset if I take her out of her viv and put her somewhere else for a week.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Layla

SDragons

Juvie Member
I've looked into this for the BD we are getting, and found several options. You might have the similar options where you are located:

Reptile vets provide boarding
Some regular vets (non-reptile vet) may board but you need to provide home & food
Some reptile stores provide boarding
I found 1 regular pet store (non-chain store) that would board

I'm interested in what you finally find. I hope you have a wonderful holiday.

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
I plan on taking mine with me when I go out of town. I've read about others sneaking theirs into hotels and I plan on doing the same. Basically I'm going to do a scaled down replica of the cage with smaller basking lights and smaller reptisun 10.0 tube. Instead of a raised platform I will use tile for basking and paper towels for substrate. I will use a 20 gallon long acquariam or sterilite tub.

Layla72372

Original Poster
Thanks for the ideas. I called the store I bought her at. They will board for $20 a day. I think it's worth every penny if I don't have to worry about her :)
I may call her Vetrinary to see if they do it as well just to compare prices.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
How about asking the grandparents to take the hatchling in and care for it (if they are handy-close) ?

Is there a local Herping club ?
you could perhaps ask them if one of their members will look after the hatchling (you'll likely need to provide food and take the enclosure to them (though they might have a spare rearing tub handy).

Are you friendly with the next door neighbours ?
maybe if you provide the food and show them what to do they'll look after the hatchling for you while away.

Other option if travelling by car is take the hatchling with you in a 100L tub (make sure you "ventilate it (easy done with a soldering iron) and make sure there is nothing big heavy and hard that will fly about inside the tub if you have to stop suddenly or while making turns). Easy enough to rig up a MVB in ceramic light fitting on a clamp stand or a compact UVB200 in dome reflector fitting on a clamp stand and heatpad.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
DaisyDragon123":34sxwznl said:
Are you driving? If you do the sneak in option, switch to dubias because they make no noise.

Will be on medium sized crickets (1/3 - 2/3 size) and only the adult crickets churp.

dezismom

Juvie Member
We take our year and 4 month old boy, DeziLu, with us wherever we go. He has a dog carrier that looks like a big handbag for shorter drives, and goes in stores with no problems. He goes in hotels (we have a big plastic travel bin for that) and that has not been a problem, either. (We always put a "do not disturb" sign on door when we leave him in hotel room so as not to terrify unsuspecting maids) This summer, when we go on a longer trip in our RV, we will have a set-up for him just like his home set up, only just a bit smaller, and haul along his crickets, worms, and lights...We are so attached to him, and he to us, that it is worth it to not be separated. The little ones, however, are much easier to spook, and less relaxed overall than the mature guys, so leaving them with an (experienced) sitter may be a better idea. Glad you found some options. In a few months, she will be such a part of the family, you will never want to be apart...they do tend to find their way right into our heart!

Here is Dez wearing his harness and leash, on vacation in a desert--he was such a big tourist draw, he had his picture taken more than the beautiful dunes!! He was a (temporary) celebrity. I was happy to be able to educate quite a few people about the involved and costly proper care of a Beardie--how replicating their natural environment and providing a proper diet is no casual effort.
82765-9070347896.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cold3231
Top Bottom