Glass Surfing

Status
Not open for further replies.

kumar

My beardie is about 7-8 months. I've never had a problem. The last week he has been glass surfing, making a mess of his tank, food everywhere. He is pooping fine, urate is fine. He's eating. He is in a 40 gallon tank, no change in environment and I take him out every day for at least 1 hour. I feed him his crickets in a separate tank. Now today, all of a sudden, when I put him in the other tank to eat the crickets, he'll eat a few, then he just stops and stares at nothing, will ignore the crickets and start glass surfing in that tank. he loves his crickets and now won't eat them. I'm thinking reflection? I do not have a background, but he does have flowering curtains behind his tank that he likes. Is this a hormone or puberty issue? He's really healthy but this is scaring me, not to mention having to clean his viv out every single day. Mustard greens everywhere. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'm concerned. Thanks

MsCarter

Juvie Member
Hello, try not to worry too much your baby is at an age now where they can have these random burst of energy and want to play all day. Some call it "beardie puberty." The same behavior you are describing started in my female when she was about 6 months old and hasn't stopped since lol. She would glass surf 24/7 and destroy her enclosure in the process. She became so hyper she couldn't focus long enough to eat and began waking me up early in the mornings from banging on her viv. We tried everything from covering three sides of the Viv to adjusting temps. The only thing that would calm her down was to let her have her way and allow her to free roam.

You want to make sure it is just energy levels and not something irritating your dragon first. I would get a background and check your temps to make sure he isn't over heating and trying to escape. If all of this checks out it's safe to assume your baby just wants out to explore more.

kumar

Original Poster
I just found out he is a she and it's puberty. I guess I'll have to wait it out. She doesn't do it all day. Just in the morning. Hopefully it doesn't get worse. Thanks for the advice

MsCarter

Juvie Member
My female is a year old now and she has calmed down some. She is the same way she will start in the mornings and usually calms down by the afternoon. It's pretty annoying when I'm trying to sleep and hear her banging around all morning. I choose to view her as a "free spirit" haha. When you are home, if you can, allow her to free roam as much as possible this usually helps burn off a little energy.

I don't know how your girl will be but this past winter my girl calmed down A LOT for the season. I guess with it being a popular time for brumation she was just naturally more relaxed. Just thought I'd throw that out there so you are prepared in case you see a sudden decrease in energy

kumar

Original Poster
That makes me feel a little better. She doesn't wake me, usually I'm not home when she starts, my sons face times me with the action. LOL. I have her out everyday when I get home from work. At first I thought she was spoiled wanting to get out, but finding out it's a girl and it's the time of year, hopefully she'll calm down soon. The annoying part for me is the constant mess with food everywhere. We all laughed yesterday when the pet store confirmed it was a girl. I said I'm not changing her name. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom