Glass Surfing

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOShow

Spyro, has been glass surfing all day. He keeps trying to climb up the side of his terrarium. I can't figure out why. He has a 40 gallon tank, the lighting and temperature is correct, I'm new with beardies, only had Spyro for a week. Just want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Is Spyro an adult or baby?
They can glass dance when energetic, curious, irritated, lonely, etc. So many reasons to dance.

Likely he is just settling in if it's only been a week and is checking things out. They don't interpret glass very well.
Just to confirm, how are you reading the temperatures in the enclosure? They will sometimes dance if it's too hot

TheOShow

Original Poster
So the temp is around 97 - 95 in his basking spot, and I use a thermogun to measure it. Spyro is young, full juvenile at about 9 inches. And now he is jumping into the glass! He's trying to give me a heart attack.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
TheOShow":2byds24q said:
So the temp is around 97 - 95 in his basking spot, and I use a thermogun to measure it. Spyro is young, full juvenile at about 9 inches. And now he is jumping into the glass! He's trying to give me a heart attack.

I'd actually say his basking is a little too low. It should be about 10 degrees higher, around 105F-110F, so he likely isn't dancing due to heat. Is there anything in the enclosure that may be bothering him?

Is there a beardie safe area to take him out and let him run around in? He may have a lot of energy. My first dragon used to climb the fake wall and hang from the mesh screen as a baby. Fall, rinse, repeat. Some just have a lot of energy

TheOShow

Original Poster
I put him in there, go figure he just sat there and wouldn't move. I came and went a few times too, I think he's messing with me.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
The tub is probably freaking him out a bit...
He'll likely settle down at some point. As mentioned there's a few reasons they could glass dance, just really depends on the dragon. My oldest will dance when he needs to poop, he'll get restless and not want to soil his area.

TheOShow

Original Poster
I'm usually not home all day with him. He was out a lot today, and didn't run from me when I went to take him out, finally. Is it me that causing the extra activity?

kumar

My beardie just started glass surfing and it's making us nuts. I just found out "he" is a "she". I've had her for 7-8 months and have never ever had an issue. She is out everyday when I get home for at least a hour. Nothing new in environment and is in a 40 gallon tank with plenty of room. Temps about 95 in basking area. I was told it was the time of year and it's hormones. I hope that is the problem and will change because she is making a mess in her tank with food everywhere. When I take her out when I get home, she runs around everywhere. She's healthy so I'm chalking it up to hormones and that it will pass. I hope :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom