Glass dancing so bad he's injured himself

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardieluv

Sub-Adult Member
Hey all! Long time no see. Charlie is driving me NUTSSSSS!!! I have a wood tank with plastic sliding doors in the front. Charlie has been glass dancing non-stop for the past 2 weeks. And he does it at a very particular time. No matter what time he is woken up, the second I walk in the door from school and/or lay down in my bed he jumps down and scratches the glass. He also pounds his nose into the plastic doors repeatedly, to the point where he has rubbed a scale off of his mouth. It is red and raw. I have tried putting a blanket over the doors to make it quieter and protect his skin, didn't work. Ive tried lowering and raising his temps, his branch, etc. Doesn't work. I cannot get any peace at home because he will do this anywhere from 2 hours to 6 hours straight. I am not exaggerating. Non stop thudding :( I've found myself getting so frustrated that I just want to shove him in his hidey box and trap him in there to make him stop with the glass dancing. What can I do to get him to stop this, and what can I put on the scale he ripped off?

AllanonsWrath

Sub-Adult Member
Normally Caoimhe only glass dances when she wants out. You can try getting him out for a little while and letting him run around on the couch / bed / whatever.

beardieluv

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Trust me, I have done that multiple times. I've taken him to the window for an hour (his favorite place), out to run on the floor, on my bed, for a bath, to eat, etc. It doesn't matter. The second I put him back in there (no matter the length of time he's been out) he is right back at it.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Meant to comment earlier, but . . . well, senior moment set in.

I don't have any advice on how to get him to stop ramming the glass, but as for the sore on his chin, you'll have to try to keep it clean and put some Neosporin on it until it scabs over and heals.
Pookie's chin has a permanent callous from glass dancing in front of the girls' house, but he had never broken the skin.

What if you move him to the back (or opposite of where he glass dances) of his viv whenever he starts to go crazy? Sort of like telling him "If you do this, then you won't get what you want". :dontknow:

Fuzzyviper

Hatchling Member
How old is your little guy? Adult males can go a little nutty in the spring. Unfortunately, you wouldn't be able to cover the glass with paper since you couldn't see him at all if you did that. The only things you can do are try to give him as much outside the tank time as you can and keep some neosporin or other antibiotic ointment on his nose. Make sure it doesn't have any pain killers in it, as they are dosed for humans. The ointment has petroleum jelly as an ingredient and it can protect the wound fairly well. One of my tree frogs rubbed his nose when I first got him and he ended up with a pink scar on his nose, even after treating him with neosporin. Hopefully he's just hormonal because it's getting close to spring and he will stop.

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
One of my males does the same thing and always gets a sore at the end of his mouth. I have the liberty of moving him to another cage where he can't see as much, but he still does it time to time. I put neosporin on the sore and have had to cover the front of the cage so he can't see out.

beardieluv

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ive tried that, Goonie. I put him back on his lack, towards the back of the cage, etc and he just goes right back. I've tried covering the glass too and it just doesn't do anything. He still rams the glass :( He is almost 3 years old. I am moving into my own place soon, and his tank will most definitely not be in the bedroom (where he is now.) I'll put neosporin on it, thanks!

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
my female beardie useto do this, we would take her to the park and let her run/dig in the sand and grass. she would spend all day running around and then sleep when she got home. if we did this at least twice a week she was happy. our male would just sit in his tank and look at you funny if you didnt hand feed him; males are males

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom