Glad I went with my hunch...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mc0624

Hi,

Its been awhile since I've posted as life has been extremely busy!

Anyways....we purchased (2) Beardies almost 2 months ago now...they were both about the same size when we got them. I feel fairly sure that we have a male and a female. The male is "Corky" and the female is "Frankie". I have been watching them and Corky is now TWICE the size of Frankie. He is just huge....every time we look at him...that is what we always say - hahaha. He just eats and eats and eats.....anything and everything we put in there. :).

Frankie on the other hand does eat....just not a ravenous as Corky...nor as much. So I mentioned to hubby that maybe I should have a fecal test done on her. Sure enough....she has 4+ Coccidia. Nothing else present though....which is good. The odd thing is though....her poops seem fairly normal (the same as Corky's....just not as large). She is active and alert....no other outward signs of parasites except that she wasn't gaining weight. In fact, her appetite greatly increased in this last week and I actually see a good size belly on her now.

So I made an appointment at a vet that we used to go to several years ago that is the closest one I know of that works with reptiles. We go in the am....and after reading many many posts on here....I'm prepared with what we want medication-wise - LOL. I'm thinking that if the vet wants to go with Albon....I'm going to say no, we want Ponazuril. All that I've read on here seems to point towards the latter as the better choice.

I'll be ordering some Acidophiliz as well tomorrow. I was only able to find it at Pet Authority....is there anywhere else?? We are in CA and Pet Authority is in FL...so I was hoping somewhere closer might have it to lessen the shipping time.

While Corky is an eating machine....does is make sense to have a fecal done on him too? They did come out of the same "chain-store" enclosure :(.

Thanks for all the helpful advice you guys provide.....it is just awesome!!

Thanks
Michelle

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Michelle,

Great choice, the Ponazuril is excellent. I wish more vets in the US would use it over the Albon so much as it shortens the duration that they are on medication. I hope you are able to get that, if medication is needed.
I am not sure of any other place online, closer to you for the Pet Authority acidophiliz off hand. You could try getting some non dairy soy yogurt, (organic) to give until the acidophiliz got there to you.

Tracie

mc0624

Original Poster
Well, I am very happy I decided to go to the vet I did. We haven't been to this vet for 15 years or so....back when we were heavily into reptiles :). Glad to see that they are still seeing LOTS of reptiles. There was a ball python in at the same time as us and they were waiting on a Water Dragon to come in.

Anyways....she thoroughly checked Frankie out and put her on Ponazuril. I didn't have to argue with anyone - Yeah! :) Anyways....she wants to do a dose today & tomorrow and then 2 weeks from now, another 2 days. Not completely sure about the 2nd round of meds....thoughts?

They will run a fecal test in a couple of weeks. Frankie weighs just 54 g .... tiny little thing.

So I went and picked up some soy yogurt....but I'm not sure how much & how often to give? Does it matter that its flavored?? They didn't have any plain at the store I went to...so I will be trying another. I'm also going to get some of that Zoo Med Wipe Out 1 too.

I also picked up some Pedialite ... how much do I give her?

Thanks
michelle

mc0624

Original Poster
No....they are separate.

They were housed together for about a week when we first got them (at beginning of June) and were together at the store when we got them.

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
Hi,
It is so good that you found a vet you like and will know how to treat Frankie!

I don't know anything about the Zoo Med Wipe Out 1...? If it kills coccidia great!
If it does not, the only thing that will kill it is ammonia, not bleach (was told that here on the boards, thankfully:))
OR, steam.

When my guy had a +5 coccidia...more than the vet or tech had ever seen :( I used the Ponazuril. 2 doses, expected to need more with such a high count, but next fecal was a 0...all gone! So I am sold on it.

I used ammonia for the first week and then broke down and spent $39 on a hand steamer. So thrilled I did, but I know the ammonia must have been working as well.

Hope she gets all better soon!
Sherri

mc0624

Original Poster
Yes...the Zoo Med Wipe Out 1 is supposed to kill it. It does have ammonia. I actually found the name on one of the many posts here that I was reading last night :).

I'm just not sure how much Pedialyte and Soy Yogurt to give her??? I am going to order the Acidophiliz today but thought I'd get going with yogurt until then.

I've been searching the posts but have yet to find exactly how much to offer of each and how often..... :)

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
mc0624":37kane0o said:
Yes...the Zoo Med Wipe Out 1 is supposed to kill it. It does have ammonia. I actually found the name on one of the many posts here that I was reading last night :).

I'm just not sure how much Pedialyte and Soy Yogurt to give her??? I am going to order the Acidophiliz today but thought I'd get going with yogurt until then.

I've been searching the posts but have yet to find exactly how much to offer of each and how often..... :)

Razz was only just about 72-74 grams and he still had .5mls to 1 ml of the soy yogurt. Mine was plain UNsweetened though and he actually loved it.lol I saw you got flavored which is fine, but is it UNsweetened? They don't need the sugar...

None of my grocery stores had it that way :roll: I found an Organic store called *Sprouts* that carried it but only in a large container...So it can be hard to find depending on where you live :?

Are you going to bathe her with the Pedialyte or give it orally? It should be watered down if oral and I don't know how much for your dragons weight, so I will let someone else answer that for you LOL

I did switch from the yogurt to acicopholiz and I think it helped him more, JMHO, however :mrgreen:

Sherri

mc0624

Original Poster
I actually did find some good yogurt to try until I have the acidophiliz in hand ;)

Its by Wildwood...its a "Probiotic Soyogurt - High fiber - Unsweetened Plain" - Sounds like a good combo - haha. I'm pretty sure I read that the fiber is good for them too when on the meds :)

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
mc0624":1r4syd4n said:
I actually did find some good yogurt to try until I have the acidophiliz in hand ;)

Its by Wildwood...its a "Probiotic Soyogurt - High fiber - Unsweetened Plain" - Sounds like a good combo - haha. I'm pretty sure I read that the fiber is good for them too when on the meds :)

I think that is the one I found! It was Wild....something, but likely that. Only that one store had it. Well, a store not an hour away that is :D

Chair76

Hatchling Member
mc0624":33pjpcub said:

Hi my beardie has also a high count of coccidia and is on some meds. Hes eating still like a monster and was wonder what is the soy yogurt supose to do? Do i have to do anything esle to my beardie besides give him the meds cause hes eatinng fine and i thought the yourt was just to help them eat? please help this is my first time dealing with his :study:

mc0624

Original Poster
The meds kill not only the bad bacteria but also the good....so the yogurt is to help replace the good bacteria.

I tried to give ours some yogurt and she wanted no part of it :). I did get her to take a little but not much.

However, the days on and one day after getting the med, her eating did lighten up a little....but she seems back to herself already as far as eating goes. In fact, I would almost say its increased....so I'm quite pleased. We are changing the paper towels as soon as she goes the bathroom and spraying it with the wipe out 1 stuff. So I think its going pretty well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom