Giving Petco Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilgreeneyes

Juvie Member
So a few weeks ago hubby and i went to Petco to see a little show on Guinea pigs. We were looking at the beardies, which looked like they just hatched. I'm not exaggerating either. These were very tiny. Well hubby noticed that they were feeding these tinys meal worms!
We tried asking people who we could talk to that were in charge of the bearded dragons and no one knew. So eventually we came across the manager. We explained to him that giving them worms like that when the beardies were to tiny could cause impaction and death. Plus we mentioned that they have no nutritional value. He said he would look into that. So hopefully he took our advice.

Cath1068

Dont count on it. I work for a petco in grooming and they will always feed mealworms cuz they are a cheap easy feeder. They dont care if its good for the beardie or not. They also feed greens that are way to big for them and they are lucky if they get maybe 10 crickets a day that must be shared by 5-7 babies. We have 2 in our wellness room that are skin and bones from no food. Petco infuriates me to no end. All you can do is call the hotline and report it. Do an internet search for " Petco Hotline ". Trust me it works.

Atrax

Sub-Adult Member
Cath1068":2ix5bb4i said:
Dont count on it. I work for a petco in grooming and they will always feed mealworms cuz they are a cheap easy feeder. They dont care if its good for the beardie or not. They also feed greens that are way to big for them and they are lucky if they get maybe 10 crickets a day that must be shared by 5-7 babies. We have 2 in our wellness room that are skin and bones from no food. Petco infuriates me to no end. All you can do is call the hotline and report it. Do an internet search for " Petco Hotline ". Trust me it works.

I would slap that manager senseless! :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5:
I HATE PET STORES!!!!!! :angry5: :angry5:

Cath1068

I hear ya Atrax. I have given him a peice of my mind numerous times. I cant stand the way they take care of their animals.... specially the herps. My petco near where I live has a GM that is into herps so his are well taken care of. Even my local petsmart has healthy dragons as that is where I got my boy Tigger. All the babies in his cage were happy, fat and healthy.

Halister

Juvie Member
We must be lucky at ares, I get our crickets at ours and there is a guy there named Brian who loves reptiles and I asked why the Beardies only have pics taped to the cage. He told me so they can keep an eye on them in the back. So made me think so can I see one and brought a big cage out and they all looked very healthy.. As we talked I found why, the owners own 4 petco's and the daughter is the vet. He said she has no problem clearing entire walls if they don't look good or if the cages are dirty. I have no problem giving these people my money.

I don't like our Petco that much. Their crickets are either way too big, or way too small. I refuse to buy fish there anymore, even if they are cheaper than Petsmart because I swear they're all ill. They had an entire goldfish enclosure covered with ick. Those poor fishies.

However, the beardies are well taken care of because at least two of the employees are, or had been previously, bearded dragon owners.

I love our Petsmart. They always have really small greens chopped up in a bowl for a few beardies, and they never put more than three in a tank together. They even gutload the crickets before they feed them. I know this because almost all of the people there are reptile owners/lovers. There's one lady there who fell in love with Ezra when I brought him in the other week. She had a hard time giving him back. I went back earlier this week, and she was all "WHERE IS EZRA?!" and I had to apologize for not bringing him, because I had to run errands and store owners frown upon dragons in their stores.

The cashier who was working when I bought Ezra was so happy, yet sad, to see him go. He was the smallest, and the clingiest, and she said she would take him out and walk around with him every now and then because he was always so excited when people walked by. When I brought him in the other week, she gasped and didn't believe he was the same dragon because he's gotten so big.

And I occasionally get a few crickets free because college boys work the cricket section, and will give me 55 instead of 50 because they don't want to pour the five out and count them again. Although, my being a bit of a flirt naturally (I prefer bubbly) could also lend to this... *shrugs*

Also, Petco charges $.14 per large cricket, and Petsmart is only $.11.

We also have a Pet Supermarket literally ten stores from Petsmart. I find this hilarious since it's still in business. Actually, I'd like to go there tomorrow to price their crickets, and see if they have a hammock for Ez. I remember my aunt saying that one of the pet stores here, the owner has a bearded dragon that he brings to work with him, and it sits on his shoulder all day. I think that may be the store, since I can only think of four pet stores in the Tampa area.

There's a store here called Budget Pets that takes AWFUL care of their animals now that the old owner is gone. The original owner was so sweet, and she ended up not being able to sell a red macaw because it grew so attached to her, that if somebody tried to take her home, she would freak out. She also knew tricks. One day last year, my aunt went there to buy crickets for her frogs (by the way, they sold me bad crickets once, and my frogs died. It was devastating), and the new owner was smashing in baby mice's skulls with a hammer because they were too small, the snakes wouldn't eat them, and they couldn't sell them. My aunt got there in time to save one of them, and he gave it to her for free. Let me just say that that is one very loved mouse.

The point of this long, rambling post (I make a lot of these), is to say that I like the people who work at Petco pretty well, but their animals aren't very well taken care of. The Petsmart here takes amazing care of their animals, and they always remember the names of the pets owners bring in. It's pretty adorable, actually.

I apologize for the length of this post. Chalk it up to 52 hours of no sleep, and the upping of the dosages of my medications. Ezra quite enjoys it, though, because I've been cuddling him a lot the past two days.

lilgreeneyes

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Oh my that is so sad they only get a few crickets a day to share between babies, plus too big of greens. I just don't understand why pet stores don't educate their staff on the proper care of these animals. People go to these places in hopes to bring a dragon home to give a happy healthy life to and something happens to the dragon and the beardie owner feels like it's there fault when sometimes it's the care at the pet store that causes the problems before hand.
Thanks for the hotline tip. I will let my husband know about that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom