Gia Seems To Be On A Hunger Strike :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gia was 6 months old on December 28th. She was 16" long and 247g on January 2nd. Today she is still 16 inches long and 255g. I will go over her setup:

She is in a 36"Wx18"Hx18"D Viv.
She has a 24" Reptisun 10 tube UVB
She has a 100w clear household bulb for heat.
She is about 6 inches from the UVB when on her basking spot.
Basking spot is 101-103 measured with a temp gun.
She gets calcium 5 days a week and multivitamin the other 2 days.

Until about a week ago, she ate Dubia's like she was starving 2 times a day. Now I can only get her to eat about 3-4 twice a day. I have tried hornworms, phoenix worms, crickets and even superworms and she just does not seem interested. I put mustard greens in her viv everyday. She will take a bite every now and then but not too often. She is bathed everyday for 15 minutes and has a BM in the tub every time.

I am concerned that she isn't getting enough protein. She hasn't shed in just over a month and hasn't grown any in length in about 3 weeks. I'm a little paranoid, I admit. I can't think of anything that might be wrong with my husbandry. Is it normal for her to slow down on feeders every now and then? Should I consider force feeding soon if she doesn't start eating more on her own? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Susan

Soulwind

Sub-Adult Member
Probably a mixture of several things:

1) she's at that stage (about 16" or so) when they do start to slow down a bit
on the never-ending-stomach level.

2) she could be slowing down a bit for winter, not a full brumation, but just
a bit of a slow-down.

3) have you increased her feeder size? the bigger dubia are way more filling
than the small ones.

I would definitely not start considering force feeding until she's actually begun
losing weight (and quite a bit more than a few grams). Just keep her hydrated
and monitor her weight and food intake.

You could also get a fecal test done to rule out any parasite problems that might
be affecting her appetite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom