Getting into beardies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whimsy

Hi There :D

Im just now getting into the beardies but i must admit im very impressed with the little creatures. From afar they do not look like they would be a nice creature to have or cuddle with due to looks, however after talking to a few owners and pet people ive come to find that they are quite awesome.

Today i visited the local pet store and handled my first beardie, she was just a bittie little thing and was sweet as can be. She sat nicely between my fingers as she was to small to have in my palm without risk of her moving and me dropping her.

Ive already got my tank and supplies figured

out, the girl in all will cost me around $400 however i think the investment will be well worth it.

I just wanted to get to know everyone, and get some name ideas for a little female beardie!

Whimsy

Original Poster
Im trying my best because i know way to many people (ive worked with pet rescues many times fostering all sorts of animals) get animals thinking they are easy to take care of or need no attention and then find out otherwise. I think a few of my research pieces may have false info on them however after reading a few things on here (like keeping more then one beardie in a tank ><) I really cannot wait to get my little girl!

Whimsy

Original Poster
Petshop to start with,sadly there are no breeders within driving distance for me (my poor old car can only go so far in short spurts). I thought about visitng the reptile show in a close town,but its so small the only vendor they have is an itty bitty hobby breeder and all her dragons are just that plain sandy grey. Pets mart has them in I think two different colors

Agonistes

Welcome to your new addiction! I would love to see pictures when you finally adopt your new baby girl. Petsmart usually only has natural morphs, but I have seen some interesting morphs before at Petsmart. I would recommend this reading, http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/caresheet/, that is if you haven't already--it helped me out tons! Also, Petsmart will try their best to get you to buy useless things that are either bad for your beardie or useless, take note these things are : The red coloured "night lights", Under-tank heating pads, Heating rocks (disputable between beardie owners), compact UVB bulbs, playsand substrate is a big bad never! Beardies can see the red light and it can disturb their sleep cycle, under-tank heating pads can burn the beardie's soft tummy, heating rocks also burn them, there's a whole topic on compact UVB and why they're horrid, and sand is just a bad substrate for any bearded dragon IMO, causing compaction, being smelly, and it's like a giant litter box. I hope this helps if you buy your beardie at Petsmart!

duke11

Gray-bearded Member
I got Duke at a reptile show. They're great, but if yours doesn't have good vendors then I wouldn't go. Online breeders are pretty reliable. There are some great breeders who are members here. Check out the Forsale forum for some nice beardies.

dragonxxxx

Hatchling Member
try looking on craigs list there might be something listed in a town near you, close enough for your car to make it, and you would be able to pick it out yourself

Toyguy

Juvie Member
Don't be afraid of overnight shipping. It is very safe and convenient and you get a much better cared-for Dragon from a breeded than you ever will from a local pet shop or chain store. It's well worth the small anxiety of waiting for them to arrive.

dragonxxxx

Hatchling Member
Whimsy said:
I just wanted to get to know everyone, and get some name ideas for a little female beardie
if you get a baby beardie they are to young to tell if their male or female, you might have to get a juvie

Agonistes

Luna, Lolth, Yondalla, Ariana, Ava, Kirin, Ehlonna, Estanna, Istus, Isis, Bast, Adrianna, Nyx, Tiamat, Artemis, Hecate, Athena, Epona, Lilith, and Morgan.

If you wanted more cliche "cuddle names." : Polky, Bebe, Teeny, Cinnamon, Amber, Coco, Angel, Princess, Rosie/Rose, Lovergirl, Lotus, Magic, Diamond, Dot, Betty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom