Getting another beardie?Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

davehal7

hi there i am looking to get a female beardie i currently have a 10 month old male all in good health he is living in a 4ft by 2ft by 2ft viv he seems very happy but also lonely so i was wondering would he act okay to a newcomer and is it safe to have two beardies in one tank all year around could you please help me with these questions and all the other info you know about keeping a pair.

many thanks dave x

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
No, it is not safe to have two beardies together.They are solitary creatures. They will fight and hurt eachother(if not kill eachother). I promise you your beardie is not lonely, besides that is what he has you for.

Lsorrent

Juvie Member
I really wouldn't recommend keeping them together. There have been horror stories about beardies losing tails, feet, toes, etc. or even killing one another. Beardies are best left solitary and only together during mating.

With my two, it's interesting. I find that I can put them in the bath tub together, but that's it. They have separate tanks, and sometimes even try to go after each other if they're out in the living room together. But in the bath, they're completely fine. Obviously anytime they're both out at the same time there's ALWAYS someone to supervise.

Thor's Mom

Sub-Adult Member
With my two, it's interesting. I find that I can put them in the bath tub together, but that's it. They have separate tanks, and sometimes even try to go after each other if they're out in the living room together. But in the bath, they're completely fine. Obviously anytime they're both out at the same time there's ALWAYS someone to supervise.

Ha! I have the exact same problem. I can not have Rexi (female) and Diesel (male) out together in the living room. He will attack her and then she gets all pissed and will go after him. It is nothing but argument when the two are out together, so to play it safe we take them out seperately.

I have to completely agree with the advice given on this thread. It's not a good idea to keep two BD's together, especially 2 males or a male/female pair. Not only will they fight and injure each other, but in a male/female pair the male will likely overbreed the female causing her tons of stress and health problems. It's ok to have 2 BD's, just do yourself a favor and keep them in seperate enclosures. I have 3 BD's and they all have their own enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom