Genetics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I got a bearded dragon about one and a half months ago sold to me as a orange citrus leucistic. His parents were a vibrant citrus and a dull Crawley red how could that make a leucistic? He has clear nails to so wouldn't that making him have hypo in him?

LLLReptile

Juvie Member
Clear nails are a fairly good indication of being hypo. In bearded dragons, some keepers use the terms leucistic and hypo interchangeably, although they do not really mean the same thing. This also happens with leopard geckos - "leucistic" leopard geckos aren't really leucistics, they're just patternless. In beardies, they're not really leucistic - they're usually just hypo, and in great examples of the gene, they can be extremely pale and look much like a leucistic animal. It sounds like this was the case with your baby.

-Jen

ChiefsDaddy

Gray-bearded Member
There is actually no leucism gene in bearded dragons (yet). Sometimes, dragons are labeled as Marketed Leucistic, but this is a misnomer for White Hypos. If your dragon is not white with clear nails, then he is not a marketed leucistic. If he has 20 clear nails however, he is Hypo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom