General questions as a first-time carer

Status
Not open for further replies.

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
Original Poster
AHBD":2tqm4ah6 said:
I can understand keepingthe bils down by not turning the heat + just adding a sweater when it's cool in the house. I keep mine around 65F [ around 18C ] during the cool months. What temp. is your house ?

If you're using a CHE as your main heating bulb, switch it for a bright white basking bulb....beardies won't do well in a dimly lit tank [ the uvb is not enough bright light ] , they need a bright basking area for good over all health.

And are you certain of the temps. in the tank ?

I'm 'somewhat' certain of the temperatures, but not totally. I need to get secondary and tertiary measurements with other equipment to make sure. I was already planning on switching to a bright light basking bulb ASAP next pay-day, so that's already on the to-do list :) I read about it multiple times on this website ^ ^ I would like to take him outside for little bits of time, but the only place I can take him for that is the front yard due to dogs in the backyard. I fear that's not a safe environment for him, due to there being no fencing whatsoever.

EDIT: My house is around 18-35 *C at the moment, as it is spring. It varies WIDELY. I think the main problem is due to the vivarium being made of glass with a aluminium mesh screen top (I already know the dangers especially with cats being present).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
phobosdthorga":3am69tqs said:
AHBD":3am69tqs said:
I can understand keepingthe bils down by not turning the heat + just adding a sweater when it's cool in the house. I keep mine around 65F [ around 18C ] during the cool months. What temp. is your house ?

If you're using a CHE as your main heating bulb, switch it for a bright white basking bulb....beardies won't do well in a dimly lit tank [ the uvb is not enough bright light ] , they need a bright basking area for good over all health.

And are you certain of the temps. in the tank ?

I'm 'somewhat' certain of the temperatures, but not totally. I need to get secondary and tertiary measurements with other equipment to make sure. I was already planning on switching to a bright light basking bulb ASAP next pay-day, so that's already on the to-do list :) I read about it multiple times on this website ^ ^ I would like to take him outside for little bits of time, but the only place I can take him for that is the front yard due to dogs in the backyard. I fear that's not a safe environment for him, due to there being no fencing whatsoever.

EDIT: My house is around 18-35 *C at the moment, as it is spring. It varies WIDELY. I think the main problem is due to the vivarium being made of glass with a aluminium mesh screen top (I already know the dangers especially with cats being present).

A rabbit/guinea pig hutch like this maybe : http://www.tinnapets.com.au/small-pet/one-story-wooden-triangle-rabbit-hutch-p032.html , I'd put some wire on the bottom too so he can't dig his way out ,even in one of these, I'd never leave him unattended for even a moment when outside.

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
Original Poster

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I just noticed my Dragon getting VERY dark on his underside, which was quite unusual. He's never displayed this kind of colouration before. Should I be worried?

full

I did have a little issue with getting him off his basking spot earlier, where he clung for dear life and did not want to leave. As I was about to let him go and leave be, I burnt myself on the Ceramic Heating Coil. I hope it's not to do with that and he finds me a threat now in that area :(

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
phobosdthorga":12hb3np3 said:
I just noticed my Dragon getting VERY dark on his underside, which was quite unusual. He's never displayed this kind of colouration before. Should I be worried?

full

I did have a little issue with getting him off his basking spot earlier, where he clung for dear life and did not want to leave. As I was about to let him go and leave be, I burnt myself on the Ceramic Heating Coil. I hope it's not to do with that and he finds me a threat now in that area :(

My guys love their private bits of bark (off my big gumtree) , and will refuse to let go of it sometimes, so I simply let them keep it.

The marks are very mood related .... not only displayed when stressed, but when hungry, when having a ball, when feeding, when in alert states.... lots call them stress marks but this is very misleading.

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2cqie7ub said:
My guys love their private bits of bark (off my big gumtree) , and will refuse to let go of it sometimes, so I simply let them keep it.

The marks are very mood related .... not only displayed when stressed, but when hungry, when having a ball, when feeding, when in alert states.... lots call them stress marks but this is very misleading.

Thank you for both the reply and quick response :) First of all, I have taken off the aluminium foil as advised. It's been off for some hours and the temperatures seem to be steady though when it gets quite cold again, I might have to add it back until the other fixes can be implemented.

I'm utterly amazed at all the behaviours displayed by these awesome creatures. They are very complex in nature and need experience and personal knowledge of an individual to read them properly. I think Iggy has eaten all of his crickets for the morning so perhaps he wants more? I'll feed him some more shortly and see how he reacts. I was wondering what the term 'stress marks' were though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom