General Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

foto69man

Hatchling Member
So I sold Marvin since I am deploying for a year.............it sucked but it was better for him. I have found out my follow-on assignment, and it's Germany. Does anyone know the rules and laws for owning reptiles there? Just wanted to get some knowledge a year ahead of time. Thanks...

isdrake

Hatchling Member
I think you a better off asking this on some German reptile forum. They don't seem to excited about English so I don't think there are many Germans here.

Be prepared that they might have much more strict rules regarding housing. The enclosure sizes you are used to will probably be illegal there. I think this site can help you: http://www.bartagamen-infos.de

foto69man

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the help...hope they arent too strict, I miss Marvin, and would love to have another baby beardie in a comfortably sized enclosure. I'll check out that link and see what I can find

isdrake

Hatchling Member
foto69man":2gukqq3h said:
Thanks for the help...hope they arent too strict, I miss Marvin, and would love to have another baby beardie in a comfortably sized enclosure. I'll check out that link and see what I can find

I don't think you have to worry to much. The rules are probably there for the sake of the animals so they get proper care. I think that Germany is a great country for someone who is interested in reptiles. The hobby seems to be pretty big there and from what I have seen on the internet I'm impressed.

From what I can understand from that site the enclosure size is based on the length of the lizard. And they seem to measure from the nose to the base of the tail (and not include the tail itself). The minimum size enclosure for 1-2 normal sized adult bearded dragon(s) is 1,2 m² / 13 ft² and 0.75 m / 2.5 feet height. I don't know if that's a comfortably sized enclosure for you or not. I must say that's a pretty generous minimum size. It's a little bigger than the states "40 breeder". :)

Phoenix17June2009

Gray-bearded Member
contact your USDA in your area, if you dont know where one is call a local vet and get the number from them and ask them... they will know... :D

FaaFaa

Sub-Adult Member
Also remember that if you will be staying on base that they may have their own set of rules that differ from Germanys rules. I know you want another beardie, but please also keep in mind what will have to happen to get the beardie back into the states with you. I don't know what the rules are on that, but I'm sure they have rules in place for that sort of thing.

Virus

Hatchling Member
Just a random question, but where are you deploying to?

I'm currently in Bagram, though I'm Army, there are still Marines, Navy, and Air Force all over the place.

Anywho, good luck with everything.

foto69man

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'll be living off base, so in a german home. Yeah I was thinking about when I come back to the staes too, so I am looking at those laws too.

I am headed to Afghanistan

Thanks for all the help so far guys...and gals

RedInkAus

Hatchling Member
As a general rule, Germany is the heart of the reptile trade in Europe. You will be spoilt for choice. The biggest reptile show on the planet is in Germany.

Who knows you may be even lucky enough to find black soil bearded dragons and the much envied P. barbata over there.

foto69man

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Really...? Heart of the european reptile trade??? Oh god...i'll be broke within a year...lol...

So what other rare reptiles can I look forward to seeing? And any links to the reptile show sites...? You have my interest perked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom