Gem (and MoMo): I'm gonna be a big sister (again) and news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, everyone! Some of you know my Gem from her ER thread, but if you don't, you will soon. :D

Gematria was a rescue (I definitely consider her one) that I found on Craigslist. After e-mailing the owner, I got an (obviously out-of-date) photograph of a healthy-looking but obviously annoyed dragon.
IM000132.jpg

So, we went to meet the owner. After examining the dragon, I couldn't see anything that couldn't be fixed immediately. But, after interrogating the owner (who, mind you, thought she was in perfect health) we learned that she'd been put on sand and eating bugs from OUTSIDE. I knew that I had to take her home, so I paid the guy the $100 for her and all her stuff.

Upon arriving home, I did a quick inventory.

- 1 55 gallon tank, complete with poo and sand. Nice.
- 1 heat rock (threw that away....)
- 1 water dish, complete with algae! and a water pump to make it bubble. (That thing was caked with algae)
- 1 food dish, complete with dried poo and carrots (yummy)
- 1 hide, which was way too small
- 1 light fixture with a blown bulb (useful)
- 2 UVB fixtures, with the glass still over the bulb, and a bulb that put out 2% UVB (also useful)
- 2 thermometers, one a stick-on that doesn't work, the other so caked with sand and dirt that I had to throw it away because the buttons wouldn't push and it was trying to tell me my room was 34*F

Then there's the dragon herself. Obviously female, but she'd never been handled or bathed, and had obvious MBD. After removing some yellow scab substance from her mouth, I found two sores on the inside of her lip. I knew that she had to have parasites, considering her conditions. She definitely wasn't underweight, at least. I also found a large lump on her right ankle which we haven't identified yet.

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

Jacqui015.jpg

We made her a vet appointment (for 3:00 today) and tried to treat what we could. I put Hibiclens (which is like Betadine) on her mouth sores, got some babyfood into her, and wrapped her in a towel.

She was vicious, gaping at everything and anything, hissing, trying to bite, bearding, the whole 9 yards. However, as I type, two days after buying her, she sits in my lap in her 'security towel' (she freaks if she's completely exposed to the air). She has learned to tolerate me after I talked and read to her (yes, read to her).

Since she had no name before, I decided to call her Gematria, or Gem. Her head is simply beautiful, yellow with orange and red in the beard, with golden eyes. The rest of her is grey, but that will change in time, I'm sure.

Jacqui020.jpg

Soon, we'll be headed out for the vet.
I will definitely post updates on that.

Jacqui

jacqui778

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks, Dawn! Happy New Year to everyone!
We're spending the New Year at the Holiday Inn about an hour away from our home. Jethro is being puppy-sitted by our "aunt" Rosie (we adopt aunts, it's not just me online) and the girls are on their own.... I miss them already and we've just arrived. I feel really bad. But there was nowhere they could go, nobody who would take care of them, and my parents wouldn't let me bring them with me. :(

Yesterday was my mother's birthday (40th-- I mean, 35th! Ahem. Excuse me). Lucky her, she gets Christmas gifts, and then birthday gifts! :roll:

Jacqui

CrystalReptile

Hatchling Member
Awww. Well at least we'll both see our beardies tomorow. Im at a friends house for new years. Its gonna be weird not falling asleep next to them :| And sometimes when i have nightmars, they calm me down. So hopefully i wount have any!! Hahahaha. Happy almost new years : :D

haleygirl272

Sub-Adult Member
I know this was a little bit back farther in the post, but it blows my mind that your grandfather fed him a fried oyster!

I have an annoying grandma that I will NEVER talk to again and I will never see her again. It sounds mean, but it's true. She irks everyone around her and barely speaks english!!!! She always tells people what her family says and she uses it out of conrext just to make people look bad. I spent a week and a half with her this summer. The only thing that kept me sane through the whole time was my cousin. I swear if I EVER and I mean EVER hear the phrase, "I thought before while ago" again, I will rip my ears off. She once used that phrase five times in a sentence! She also says style, glamour, and baby too much. She is also rude and doesn't mind insulting people.

Anyway, I want to see that movie! It looks great!

-Haley

dna14

Sub-Adult Member
Jacqui, I'm so sorry! I have so many family members that hate n bait and I'm 37! It's not going to end. There will always negative people and I know you can rise above. Just wanted to say I am so proud of how strong you are and stand up for yourself and if I was there I'd stand up for you too! Haven't seen Sherlock Holmes. Maybe soon. *hugs n beardie cuddles!*

jacqui778

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Jasper's Mom":de274 said:
Are you home yet Jacqui?

Yes, yes. We only stayed for the one night. I kept looking for MoMo on my lap and Gem near my pillow. Then I came home and MoMo was all mad at me. :(
She's forgiven me, though, thank goodness. That girl sure can hold a grudge. :roll:
Brief story to tell. You know, I knew that I was forgetting something this morning before I left for school, but couldn't put my finger on what it was. I come home, and it hits me-- er, MoMo's lights are off, and she's still in bed. :banghead:
Still need a replacement for Gem's basking bulb. The weather here has been AWFUL (-10* with violent winds whipping snow in your face so you can't see) so most roads and stores are closed, including our pet shop. And then, thanks to the weather, I can't get a bulb shipped.
And this weather is absolutely NO help for me and my joints. I think I may have to start learning to write with my left hand-- my right seems to be getting the worst of the pain, making it hard to write.

Anyway, might not be here for the next couple of days. These next three months are supposed to be super-jam-packed with work and reports, and I already have a 300 some point Pro-Life paper I have to write, along with tons of homework from our lovely teachers, who seem to think free time should be illegal. Oh, and I'm trying to find a beardie-safe cake for Gem-- her birthday is in 11 days. Two years old! :blob8:

Jacqui

CrystalReptile

Hatchling Member
Gah, i hear ya. Apparently teachers think we have no social life, or free time. All our time is 'school. homework. sleep. repeat.' YA, no. Not so much. I hope we both make it these next few months... :)

Saccharidicule

Hatchling Member
I know I'm a little late, but I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother, Jaqui. :( My grandma used to be very, very judgemental, and can still have her moments. She's trying to hold back, I think. I used to have very curly, frizzy hair, which would only be made worse by brushing it. My grandmother once chased me --literally chased me-- around her house until I let her brush it, despite my mom and me telling her not to. She cut my favorite part of my baby blanket off because it was hanging off and "didn't look neat enough." She sends emails about weight loss and diets to my mother-- AND ME, the nerve of her-- despite me being perfectly healthy and getting enough exercise. My brother is growing his hair out (it's longer than mine right now :lol: ) and you know what she did? Clipped an article about how girls prefer shorter hair on a guy out of a magazine and sent it to us in the mail. There's a whole slew of other things I could mention, but after a while, I finally said to her that I really didn't want to hear her opinion of what I was doing wrong. Did you know that she even questioned why I would want a reptile instead of something furrier, like a cat? This, despite the fact that her daughter and grandson are extremely allergic to felines. :evil:

CrystalReptile":4dc6c said:
Gah, i hear ya. Apparently teachers think we have no social life, or free time. All our time is 'school. homework. sleep. repeat.' YA, no. Not so much. I hope we both make it these next few months... :)

I've got SOLs and a midterm coming up, so I know what you mean! Lots of work to turn in before the end of my first semester classes. :x Luckily for me, I've got BD.org as a suitable distraction. :wink:

jacqui778

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
My mum was nice enough to buy me a 8GB memory card for my camera. :wink:
Expect pictures in the next couple of days. The girls are grumpy right now, and I'm busy taking pictures of the huge amount of snow we have. :roll:

Jacqui

jacqui778

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
It's Gem's second birthday! WOO! :blob8: :D :blob8: :blob5: :blob8: :blob5: :blob8:

In regards to those pics, I'll get them uploaded later. I couldn't figure out for the life of me how to charge the camera! I figured it out, though, and as soon as it's charged, I'll be uploading. I also have a 5 page report on abortion I have to work on, though, so forgive me if I get sidetracked and make you wait longer. I will make it up to you, though, as I have a vid of MoMo eating crix!

I'm trying to resist the urge to sing, which is difficult due to my RSD (random singing disorder), so I'm going to go spoil Gem!

Jacqui

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smallfry_Zoey
Top Bottom