Gem (and MoMo): I'm gonna be a big sister (again) and news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, everyone! Some of you know my Gem from her ER thread, but if you don't, you will soon. :D

Gematria was a rescue (I definitely consider her one) that I found on Craigslist. After e-mailing the owner, I got an (obviously out-of-date) photograph of a healthy-looking but obviously annoyed dragon.
IM000132.jpg

So, we went to meet the owner. After examining the dragon, I couldn't see anything that couldn't be fixed immediately. But, after interrogating the owner (who, mind you, thought she was in perfect health) we learned that she'd been put on sand and eating bugs from OUTSIDE. I knew that I had to take her home, so I paid the guy the $100 for her and all her stuff.

Upon arriving home, I did a quick inventory.

- 1 55 gallon tank, complete with poo and sand. Nice.
- 1 heat rock (threw that away....)
- 1 water dish, complete with algae! and a water pump to make it bubble. (That thing was caked with algae)
- 1 food dish, complete with dried poo and carrots (yummy)
- 1 hide, which was way too small
- 1 light fixture with a blown bulb (useful)
- 2 UVB fixtures, with the glass still over the bulb, and a bulb that put out 2% UVB (also useful)
- 2 thermometers, one a stick-on that doesn't work, the other so caked with sand and dirt that I had to throw it away because the buttons wouldn't push and it was trying to tell me my room was 34*F

Then there's the dragon herself. Obviously female, but she'd never been handled or bathed, and had obvious MBD. After removing some yellow scab substance from her mouth, I found two sores on the inside of her lip. I knew that she had to have parasites, considering her conditions. She definitely wasn't underweight, at least. I also found a large lump on her right ankle which we haven't identified yet.

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

Jacqui015.jpg

We made her a vet appointment (for 3:00 today) and tried to treat what we could. I put Hibiclens (which is like Betadine) on her mouth sores, got some babyfood into her, and wrapped her in a towel.

She was vicious, gaping at everything and anything, hissing, trying to bite, bearding, the whole 9 yards. However, as I type, two days after buying her, she sits in my lap in her 'security towel' (she freaks if she's completely exposed to the air). She has learned to tolerate me after I talked and read to her (yes, read to her).

Since she had no name before, I decided to call her Gematria, or Gem. Her head is simply beautiful, yellow with orange and red in the beard, with golden eyes. The rest of her is grey, but that will change in time, I'm sure.

Jacqui020.jpg

Soon, we'll be headed out for the vet.
I will definitely post updates on that.

Jacqui

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
:blob8: :blob8: Happy 2nd Birthday, Gem! :blob8: :blob8:

Jacqui... sounds like school is keeping you busy. Hopefully when you get a little time to breathe, you will bless us with some pics of the babies (Of course, not you Miss Gem... you are all grown up now :roll: :lol: )

jacqui778

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
So sorry guys! That report has me swamped, it's a lot more work than I thought, and I'm a lot less organized than I'd hoped! But, now I just need my rough draft checked over by a teacher tomorrow, and I can type up my final copy, turn it in, and be all done! So I'm free tonight!

Bad news is, Photobucket is a pain in the rear right now, and I'm not sure if I uploaded my photos correctly. Anyone know of another site I can use for uploading?

Jacqui

EDIT: Okay, my computer is being an absolute brat. I'll have to plug in my laptop and upload that vid for you guys, apparently YouTube isn't a site this old crappy piece of junk recognizes.... sorry. Frustrated! I've been sitting here for an hour trying to upload stuff!

jacqui778

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Okay! So I got 'em!

I will have to upload the vid later. But, here are some pics.
Just like to add that I'm amazed and how much MoMo is beginning to look like Reggie, in the face and eyes. She even acts the same way, with all her ridiculous antics and the ritual Reggie introduced which involves running off the edge of the bed before eating, for every meal, every day. They both insist on running off the edge of the bed before they eat. :roll: Anyway, here are the pics!

JacquisPictures017.jpg

"Is that MY food bowl?!" (It is)

JacquisPictures015.jpg

JacquisPictures014.jpg

JacquisPictures012.jpg

I thought this was a cool shot. :D (skinny belly, she hadn't eaten yet)

JacquisPictures011.jpg

My big girl, in MoMo's viv, eating MoMo's salad, even though she won't eat her own!!! (I guess the greens are greener on the other side....)

JacquisPictures010.jpg

Looking out of the wrong side of the window. :roll: (fat belly, after she'd eaten)

JacquisPictures007.jpg

After I put her in the viv in the morning. "Mum, pleeeeease let me out! PLEEEEASE!"

JacquisPictures004.jpg

I actually get a good closeup and MoMo has to do the crazy eye. GRRR! She knows how to irritate me. :lol:

JacquisPictures003.jpg

JacquisPictures006.jpg

Gem, sleeping

JacquisPictures005.jpg

Perked up

Some snow (our central park):

JacquisPictures002.jpg

JacquisPictures001.jpg

Jethro (his eyes aren't blue, it's his form of redeye. His eyes are actually chocolatey brown):

JacquisPictures008.jpg

Fat Cat Louis:

JacquisPictures016.jpg

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
"Finally" is right! I thought you fell off the face of the earth (not really, but I was impatiently waiting for new pics of your girls).

MoMo is too cute sitting in Louis' food bowl. She almost looked like she was protecting it.
She is growing up so fast. Soon she'll be just as big as Gem.

jacqui778":3ece8 said:
JacquisPictures011.jpg

My big girl, in MoMo's viv, eating MoMo's salad, even though she won't eat her own!!! (I guess the greens are greener on the other side....)
Acting like a typical jealous sibling -- wanting what the other has :lol:

jacqui778

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
beardie parents":3c601 said:
Those pics are adorable! Thanks for sharing They all had me going awww and laughing at their antics.

Thanks! They keep me busy, for sure! I ordered them some *bugs* this weekend, they were shipped Monday. Mum doesn't know that these *bugs* come from The Bug Pros. Cough cough.
The picture of MoMo in the window looks so much like Reggie. I can't get over it. I always randomly tell her (I have a bad habit of blurting out things to my beardies) that if she can get to 15'', she will have reached Reggie's total length, and I will be proud of her. :roll:
Another thing they have in common is that, whenever I kiss MoMo, she always has this surprised look on her face. :lol: Surprised, yet pleased.

BTW, do any of you have FaceBooks? :p

Saccharidicule

Hatchling Member
I've got a facebook. :>

I loooove the photos! Silly Gem-- just because it's your sibling's doesn't mean it'll taste any better! :p And MoMo's belly! She's all small and alert-- but then she's got that big 'ol belly and she doesn't know which way to look out the window. :lol: Dora gluts herself and then falls asleep on her rock; no after dinner exploring for her!

You still have snow! That's amazing. We had a foot and a half for about a week; then most of it melted and it's pretty much all gone by now. :( Another bare winter for Virginia.

jacqui778

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Saccharidicule":27843 said:
I've got a facebook. :>

I loooove the photos! Silly Gem-- just because it's your sibling's doesn't mean it'll taste any better! :p And MoMo's belly! She's all small and alert-- but then she's got that big 'ol belly and she doesn't know which way to look out the window. :lol: Dora gluts herself and then falls asleep on her rock; no after dinner exploring for her!

You still have snow! That's amazing. We had a foot and a half for about a week; then most of it melted and it's pretty much all gone by now. :( Another bare winter for Virginia.

I'm a total FB Addict. I come on here first, then I go to FB, and then I alternate back and forth, seeing if there's anything new on either one.

Gem seems to think that MoMo's salad tastes better. I think maybe it's because MoMo's viv is Gem's old viv, the one she grew up in. I'm contemplating whether or not to switch their vivs so Gem will eat, but I don't know how MoMo would like Gem's viv after being in hers for so long.... It's rather big for her, and I still have to work out the lighting.

MoMo always does crazy stuff like that. Take, for example, the picture of her on her hammock. She has the whooooole hammock to sit in, but she sits on the VERY edge, closest to the suction cup. Silly girl.

Someone, whose name rhymes with Bobo, took a very large and very stinky poo today. And hid it. Now my room smells like stinky lizard poo and I can't find out where it's coming from. Even Gem was running for cover from the stench, with her head under her stuffed animal.
First place to check: MoMo's hoarding cave. Little packrat.

Jacqui

EDIT: BTW, yes that's me in my avatar.

Saccharidicule

Hatchling Member
I do the same! I check all my threads on here, then head over to Facebook. Nobody understands when I post about Dora, referring to her as if she's my child. I got questioned about who the father was once. :lol: It was tough explaining that one. AND: I think I've seen you on FB! I recognize that photo. :p

Oh, yech! :puke: Poop hoarding? Nasty. Good luck finding that. I've tried to get Dora to poop only in the bath or in water (like if there's a dish of water in her viv) which has GREATLY reduced the stink levels in my room. I'd suggest it to everyone. :wink: Just bathe her every day at the same time, and don't let her out until she's pooped.

jacqui778

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Eh, problem is, she poo's while I'm at school, and then won't afterward. Ah, well. I'll deal with cleaning it up. It was in her cave, too.... hmm....

My bugs got here today! :blob8: Rusty Reds. :D The girls LOVE THEM. They both looked more awake after they ate a good few, and MoMo's going nuts just for the sake of going nuts. :lol: The buggies have a nice little feast going on, and I rather like them! They don't jump! Woohoo!

Jacqui

jacqui778

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I am convinced that the Rusty Reds have had a dramatic influence on Gem and MoMo. The Bug Pros has officially reeled me in as a customer. Cheaper than crickets, and way better!

MoMo will eat and eat and eat and eat, no matter how much she's eaten already. She measured 11.5 inches today, and has a permanent Buddha belly. I'm amazed that she packed on a chubby belly in only about a week. But it doesn't disappear, and she's been passing huge BMs (probably due to the amount she's eating) recently, so she's not impacted!

For Gem, it's even more dramatic. She will eat these bugs ANYWHERE. Not just in MoMo's viv. She will eat SALAD anywhere! Again, not just in MoMo's viv! She has eaten more Rusty Reds in the past week than the amount of bugs she has consumed in her entire time with me. She also will just keep eating. She's also been stealing some of my fruit, without my permission. :lol: Gem has had happy colors since her first feeding, she's been romping around, climbing onto shoulders, staying awake all day.... it's amazing. No more crickets for these two. Call me crazy, but all these things have happened since I got those bugs. I see a bright future in the weight department for Gem. If MoMo has packed on a belly, I can't imagine how much heavier Gem is. I need to get a scale!

There's my update for the day!

Jacqui

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Hi Jacqui!

I'm so happy to hear that they are loving the Turks....mine all do too. :D

I loved all the new pic's of your furry and scaley pets. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom