gaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayc

When my dragon is at the hot side of his tank, he gapes for minutes at a time. He'll close his mouth and then gape for another couple minutes...and so on. I put the probe to the ground where he lays and its usually around 100-105. He doesnt seem to mind it..he knows where the cool side of the tank is. Any ideas?

Youkai

Hatchling Member
Gaping is just one of the ways they thermoregulate. He's probably a little warm and he's "letting out some heat"...
It's not anything to worry about unless you find that you can hear some "clicking" when he breathes (which could indicate a resp. infection)
My beardie will gape for a few minutes and either stop or if she's too warm she'll move out of the direct path of her MVB. :mrgreen:

Hope that helps.

Yeh, my Dante does that aswell. He usually sits on his hot log for a bit, and then he starts opening his mouth, at first i thought he was threatening me, but then i realised that he didn't try to attack me if i went to pick him up.
That helps a lot though,
ta
x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom